Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the basic tools I'll need no matter what bike I pick up? Brand recommendations are also welcome.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,373 Posts
Allen wrenches
socket set
screwdrivers
torque wrench
wrench set
Rubber mallet

I would get them from Harbor Freight using 20% off coupons from moto mags and DIY mags. They are average quality with lifetime warranty. There are even coupons for free screwdrivers and multimeters.

·
Elbow Grease is Cheap
6,370 Posts
I'll add to what Mike posted.

First thing, concentrate on metric tools.

Whatever torque wrench you buy, calibrate it. pretty simple to do just need a bolt that won't turn and a something of a known weight. 10 lbs or so should be fine(barbell, gallon of water, etc.) you can find out the details of the math on the net or youtube.

Breaker bars. get a 3/8 and 1/2 in drive. ratchets shouldn't be used for loosening stubborn bolts as it can wear out or break the ratcheting mechanism.
Ratcheting wrenches aren't a necessity, but come in handy. Especially in tight spaces.
T-handle allen wrenches with the little ball on the end.
allen sockets. especially for the larger allen bolts(8mm and up)
Soldering iron.
Loctite. not a tool, but very useful.

I love me angle grinder :robssmilie:

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
Yeah what these guys said. Pretty much everything you need>>>HF. That'll pretty much take care of every tool you need without killing your wallet. And for the most parts the tools are good. I haven't had any issues except with their grinders. I've gone through fucking 3 of them.

·
Watch the world burn
1,046 Posts
You'll need a multimeter to chase electrical gremlins and some electrical tape. One of those $5 1-man brake bleeder kits, and a good tire pressure gauge.

·
30,373 Posts
I have had good luck with their grinders. $8 on sale with a coupon. I beat them up good, drop them, attach homemade bits, run out of balance wire wheels, etc. I have two, one with a cut of wheel and one with a grinding wheel.

I had a Dewalt that I used for 30 min straight and it bled all its grease out and died.

·
Registered
740 Posts
HF is good for most tools, though I would recommend buying a quality ratchet/socket set. Get one from Craftsman or Kobalt (Lowe's), you can get a nice set for around $50. They won't break the first time you slip a cheater bar over it, have a smaller ratchet swing for tight spaces, and generally just work better.

Get a set of metric 3/8" drive hex keys (4-5-6mm takes care of probably 95% of needs)
Set of metric "L" hex keys

Set of metric end wrenches

Multimeter (HF gives these away with a purchase and coupon, and they work fine)

Smallish channel lock pliers
Needle nose pliers

Swingarm stand, as most sportbikes don't have a center stand. ebay one for like $40.

For basic maintenance and mods that's all you need.

·
Elbow Grease is Cheap
6,370 Posts
forgot to add:

Toolbox. I've actually got a few of them.

Dental picks. great for various reasons and cheap as well. Have used these more times than I remember.

telescopic magnet tool.

circlip pliers. there's only a couple of places on a bike that have circlips. Brake master cylinders and some wheel bearings. Without the special pliers, you won't remove or replace them easily (without alot of cussing and/or throwing random tools)

Get a pair of the combination circlip pliers, as they'll work for internal or external circlips.

Also, some newer bikes have some Torx head bolts. you can just get some bits for a combination screwdriver or ratchet.

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
You'll need a multimeter to chase electrical gremlins and some electrical tape.
Allen wrenches
socket set
screwdrivers
torque wrench
wrench set
Rubber mallet

I would get them from Harbor Freight using 20% off coupons from moto mags and DIY mags. They are average quality with lifetime warranty. There are even coupons for free screwdrivers and multimeters.
I can second the multi-meter. Even a very cheap one is totally worth it.

And I've gone without any sort of hammer other than a claw-hammer for years and years. But MikeGyver is spot on. On the recommendation of a friend I bought a small-ish hammer, one face plastic one face rubber. It has revolutionised my ability to Do Work on old crappy bikes, I can't recommend it enough.

Everything else in this thread is a good idea for sure, and available fairly cheap. I think I am right in thinking that in American English "wrenches" are what British English speakers call "spanners" the type with an open end at one end and a ring at the other are essential on bikes as there is often not enough room to get a socket and ratchet on a nut, due to such compact designs.

·
30,373 Posts
think I am right in thinking that in American English "wrenches" are what British English speakers call "spanners" the type with an open end at one end and a ring at the other
Correct.

When you are working on vehicles do you say you were "spanning" cause we say we were "wrenching"?

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Correct.

When you are working on vehicles do you say you were "spanning" cause we say we were "wrenching"?
"Spinning Spanners"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts