Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so here the skinny, some odd 8 years ago I was 21, hardheaded, and impatient. once setting my mind to something I would carry out my plans come hell or highwater. such was the case with me wanting a motorcycle. So not being able to afford one by myself, I naively agreed to go in halves with a former friend on a 06 gsx-r 600 (fyi don't ever do this :doh:) .

long story short the other guy went about modifying the brand new bike as soon as we got it, one of the mods being lowering the front end. I didn't know anything about motorcycles at the time, and how exactly he did it I have no idea, but the end result was a loose set of clip-ons. I vaguely remember him complaining about it when he did, but I never heard him say what he did to fix the problem or what caused it to begin with. well the other day I finally discovered at least part of that question... aluminum foil :stupid:.

yes I did say aluminum foil. after years of setting up, the clip-ons had become loose again and upon further inspection I found a sliver of it poking out from under one of them. so I loosened them up all the way and pulled out a 2" strip that was about 3mm thick. of course trying to tighten them back down without it didn't work, still had about 1-2mm of daylight in between them and the forks. looking at the other one, it was the same way.

So at this point im not sure if he was just too weak to tighten them and the foil stretched them over the years or if he seen some shiny new ones that he wanted and despite being the wrong size he used them anyway (this same guy also attempted to install a hid projector into the oem headlight with hot glue AND cut holes into structure of the plastic with a razor blade, running enough led's through it to light up times squares Christmas tree :wtf:).

In any case, for now I plan to just remove them and trim the edges of the clip just a shade with a sawzaw to make up for the gap. I'm looking for a more permanent solution however, and was wanting to look into risers and a straight bar. I've recently discovered that I have a bonespur in my shoulder, along with some minor tears in the rotator cuff, and I feel that raising my riding position to take some of the weight off of it would be a tremendous relief, especially on long trips.

So what exactly are my options here. I don't have 400 bucks to spend on an adapter plate, I have no old risers laying around to attempt drilling holes in the current top yoke (I would like to make sure it was going to work before shelling out a bill for new ones). being somewhat a shadetree car guy, im well aware that with cages, you can often pull used parts of one type of one in the scrap yard and modify them to work with a different vehicle, is this true for the top yokes on motorcyles, ie. is there say a gsx top yoke that would fit directly to my bike that would allow for a straight bar. or would I just be better off stopping the search now and start saving for an aftermarket top yoke that has the holes predrilled (most of the ones I've found come with risers and a bar, hence another reason of me not wanting to spring for risers if drilling the holes in the current yoke didn't work).

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
Buy risers. Drill existing top yolk. Bolt together.

Reactions: ROBBO

·
ThumpaMonsta
213 Posts
What did he do with the original clipons ? or are they factory mounted to the top tree ?

Why do you even trust that guy, I mean yeah well all do botched jobs sometimes but 3mm foil filling is a bit too much, especially on something as important as STEERING the goddamn bike :eek:.

My 2cts.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is it really that simple fate? no chance at warping or cracking it when drilling? I've got access to a drill press so i not so much worried about the hole itself as i am screwing up the structural integrity. since i have the option, which risers would be better to get, the single bolt or the double?

as far as the original clip-ons, if these aren't them i have no idea... i've looked them over and there's nothing really distinguishing them as to one or the other. the dimple on top matches the recess in the top yoke so for all i know, he just didn't have a big enough wrench when he first tried and put the foil in there prematurely and me snugging them back up stretched them.

·
ThumpaMonsta
213 Posts
Metal doesn't stretch that easily. I work as a CAD engineer in pipes and steel expands 1mm per 1m per 100°C. You just can't stretch a tiny piece of metal to 3mm without going into plastic deformation.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
30 Posts
Perhaps the problem is that the fork diameter reduces as it gets lower down the fork. At the top of the fork tube it is (from memory) 50mm for a set distance down the fork, which is adequate for the clipon and the top tripleclamp to clamp onto at factory height (plus a bit), but once you drop the front (which happens by passing the fork tubes up through the triple clamps) the part of the fork tube below the top triple clamp that the clipons now clamp onto is actually thinner as it is further down the fork tube. Could that be why your clipons are not fitting and it appears that there needs to be a 3mm filler?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sounds legit. i've got to take them off to cut them so i'll double check when i do. i attempted with them still on and knicked the topyoke a little so i figured i'd better stop. :doh:

·
Registered
2 Posts
FWIW I just swapped out the oem clipons on my 87 FZ600 for about $50.00. I bought the upper triple tree, risers and bars from an xj750 off of eBay. Direct swap, no pain, no strain. I just had to reroute cables and robbed a front brake line off my quad but I love the difference and so do my shoulders.

·
I think im lost
573 Posts
If the forks art through the top of the tripple...
If there is enough sticking through put the clip ons ontological of the triples.
Will give you higher bars at the same time and possibly fix the size problem

And pics always help us poor souls trying to help

·
319 Posts
Just curious what happened with the other guy you went 50/50 with on the bike?Did you buy him out so it's yours only know?
As for drilling the triple clamp it's pretty straight forward I think someone did a write up here on how to do it.Otherwise there is a few guys who can help you out with it here on the forum.
You mentioned the other guy lowering the forks, it will quicken up the steering and putting more weight on the front end.
If you still need a set of risers and bars I have a set of fat bars with risers that I got on a 99 Gsxr 600.
Good luck with your project.I will take some pics and post the risers and bars in the classified section on Sunday if you still need a set or someone else.
Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts