Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pondering my next project. a big part of me wants to build a motard. another part of me wants to buy a cheap bike and do a track bike so that I can improve my riding skills.

I think I would want something small, something that I can use to better my riding abilitys, rather than spending too much time trying to ride to the bikes potential.
I REALLY would like to get ahold of a FZR 400 or a CBR 400. but neither of those are easy to come by in the states.

so I also like the sv-650's, but they tend to be a bit out of my price range most of the time.

so I kinda figure a parallel twin bike might be nice. somethin like a gs500 or a ninja500 ex. they are cheap and plentiful, parts are cheap.obviously i would have to upgrade the suspension.

so what do you guys that have track experience think. would a ninja 500 work well for a learning platform?

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
A Ninja 500 is something you'd grow out of really quick. An SV650 you'll never get bored with.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
coulda bought my old bandit 400 for a grand. it was JUST sold to a racer in my area. that's sctually why i bought it in the frist place, was building a track fighter out of it.

there was a guy on ebay a few days ago selling a BUNCH of small bore bikes. a couple cb1's, a bandit400, and a tz250. look in the back of racer mags in the classifieds, you can find some deals on straight track bikes.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
from what i understand ex500's are great bikes to learn track riding on. they dont have brute power or high top speeds....so you have to learn to keep your speed, once you get it. maintaining it thru the corners etc.

so i think since your just starting on the track and wanting to extend your riding skills an ex 500 would be a good bike. but yes, upgrade the suspension.

im planning on riding my buddies Ex on the track this year...and probably the 600 too fightered out!!

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
I think and old fzr 600, would be an easy find, at least around here and would be a good base to start from. Probably pick one up under 2 grand ??
I have been pondering the same thin. :rock:

·
KNUCKLE UP
209 Posts
If your wanting a fzr400 but can't seem to find one. Look on wera.com or ccs.com on their forums. You would be suprised what you will find. I allways wanted to get a 400 frame and pop a yzf 600r motor into her. The yzf front end will fit also. That would be a light nimble little thing. I agree that you would grow out of the ex pretty fast. I raced with wera in C Superstock and B Superstock(750 class) for 2 yrs. If you ride a 600 or bigger now. You will get bored real fast. I debated going from a 600 to a sv650 for a long time(still didn't go with the sv). With the ex your limited on tire selection also. If you go with a 600 the selection is endless. Just some things to think about. If you look on some of the racing forums you can pickup a 600 for a pretty good price. I picked up my 97 gsxr600 for $1500 and it was a race bike. It came with penske shock, 750 worked front end, hindle exhaust, and attack rearsets. Granted I had to put a lot of work to get her going again but, what do you expect for $1500.:knucks:

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
like I said, I don't know if I'll be doing this this summer or not. allot of projects I want to start and not much money to pass around. but this one is close to the top of the list.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
The two SVs that won their class at Daytona last year (I forget which race, AMA serieses though) are now the official rental bikes of GP Bikes Inc... my friends in Florida. I also hung with them at a trackday at Moroso. SV650s can be -fast fucking bikes-. I was embarassed :(

·
KNUCKLE UP
209 Posts
I wasn't saying the the sv was slow. Its just under powered compared to the 600's. The sv is a cornering machine. I've had sv's out corner me before. 600's power out alot quicker and can pull away on the straights. Thats all I was going back and forth with myself. I didn't mean that its not an awesome machine. SV's are still a little high in price still compared to some 600's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts