Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'll be on track the 29th for the warm up lapping day and I'm entering novice GTO (open class) on the 30th. Any pointers or wisdom from the experienced track guys?
Also I still don't have a belly pan on my gsxr and I want to get it on track, maybe not race it, but ride it hard for a bit. Are bikes without belly pans kinda frowned upon on track? I mean you have a leak and you're going to ruin everyone's day, people go to the track to ride hard. Thanks.

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,389 Posts
What organization are you running with? Many org's just have the usual requirements for antifreeze, safety wire, brakes, lights, .................

Typically track day events will not require a catch pan underslung to catch oil or scattered engine debris. :D I KEED I KEED

Here's my .02 from an experienced racer/monkey

1. Go at your own pace - progress slowly into it
2. Fuck what everyone else is doing - It's their job to safely pass you as a beginner, not for you to get out of the way
3. Identify yourself if the org doesn't already do that - Easiest way is a neon colored t shirt over the top of your leathers
4. Learn the track first and foremost - walk the whole thing and look for dips, craters, sealer strips at turn in and exit points, talk to others and find out good brake markers

Anything else, just ask

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks CK. For race bikes (with the MRA) you have to have a bellypan but just for the track day it's not required. I don't think I want to race the gsxr I just want to see how it goes at speed. And scrub those shiny tires in. I just don't want to have a leak on the track. I can't find a belly pan for this bike so I'm going to have to make something for it.
The lapping day on the 29th is just for licensed racers to "get rid of the cobwebs" my Duc is good for the rules but I'm not sure if I want to take my gsxr out or wait for a regular track day.
I was going to get the track map out today and start trying to memorize the track and draw some racing lines but didn't get it done. I don't know which way it runs either. Getting started in this is tough.
I have everything I need now though except for a fire extinguisher and my entries are paid. I was thinking of taping "noob" on the back of my leathers with masking tape or something. I only entered a novice race until I can see what my laptimes are relative to everyone else. If I have decent lap times at this race weekend I'll probably enter a couple amateur class as well. Have to keep working out so I'm in shape for it.

·
V four honda whore
12,494 Posts
Map and real track are two different beasts. Trust me, from map some bends looks easy as hell, but in real life they seem scaryish. Try to find youtube onboards. Those will do better

Reactions: CK 187

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,389 Posts
Thanks CK.

I was thinking of taping "noob" on the back of my leathers with masking tape or something. I only entered a novice race until I can see what my laptimes are relative to everyone else.

You got it. Anytime

I used to have a set of leathers that said AMISH on the back with an orange triangle. It was funny to zap people up the inside of turns on the RZ and have them see that

Map and real track are two different beasts. Trust me, from map some bends looks easy as hell, but in real life they seem scaryish. Try to find youtube onboards. Those will do better

I can learn more about a track and my plan of attack from one single track walk than i ever do from maps

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Onboard videos are great after you've done the track once or twice but you're gonna be pretty lost first time out either way no matter how much u try to look at maps.

I'm going to Shenandoah (summit point west va) this sunday on the little bike. Never been there, just watched few onboards. I'm super excited, it's supposedly really fun on the small bikes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
V four honda whore
12,494 Posts
I want to hit track so much. Miss it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most of it has been mentioned already bro. If this is your road bike, just take it easy the first few sessions. If you've never been on a track before, it's going to be pretty exciting without trying to go 100%.

A couple things.

Tape over your speedo, it is just a distraction. Trust me on this.

Remove or tape up your mirrors, again distracting and dangerous.

Only time you should be looking over your shoulder is when you enter the track. And you want to be certain you check properly. There's been terrible crashes from people drifting onto the race line without looking first.

Take a pressure guage, a tire pump and plenty of liquids. Again if it's your first session, it's more about getting a feel for the track and being in and amongst other bikes at speed.

There's more, but you'll figure it out as you do more and more track days. Because you will...

Here's me on the old norton, racing in NZ

Attachments

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the reminder to bring an air pump and pressure gauge, I keep forgetting to get that in the trailer.

I hate Colorado's weather. It's almost 80 degrees the last couple days. The weekend before last it snowed at least a few inches. It's supposed to snow Friday morning, the open lapping day before the race. 98% chance of thunderstorms most of the day. Saturday looks to be a little better but still cold and like 60% chance of rain.

I called the Dunlop supplier and got one of the last sets of race rain tires. I don't know if they will run in the rain at Pueblo, since part of the course is a drag strip and apparently the stuff they put down for traction is slippery or something if it's wet. But I will have rain tires and I will be on track if it's open. I bought a rain cover for my leathers. Fuck you spring weather.

·
Registered
388 Posts
With all that prep it will absolutely be sunny and nice!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts