Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hmmmm....
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So......Ive spent a couple days looking at gauges and the Trailtech Vapor w/indicator panel seems like a SOLID couple of purchases. My thing is this......I'm spending tons of time pinmapping the main two bezel wire harnesses so I can hook up all my proper connections...and it looks like the vapor comes in and replaces all that with magnetic wheel sensors, things that wrap around the radiator hoses to determine temperature etc etc. I feel like with something as pristine as a vfr750 I'm swapping really good quality sensors with lesser ones. Are those kinds of gauges accurate?

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
I have one on an old CB. Once dialed correctly (not hard at all) the speedo is dead on the money.

The tach is poo at best. Fluctuates badly, but the shift lights work like they should.

Using the supplied temp sensor that came with the Vapor for engine temp (I'm air cooled) that part did OK. In my application the sensor was basically a washer that fit between the spark plug and the head. It read within 10-15 degrees F (hotter)of my mechanical oil temp gauge which read spot on according to an infrared thermometer. Could just be an issue of placement.

The outside air temp display seems pretty accurate whether sitting still or moving, which doesn't really matter, but I found that impressive.

I really only wanted mine so I could have an accurate speedo/ trip meter. It does just that. The rest leaves a bit to be desired IMO. But the display is easy to read (digital MPH readout has spoiled me, actually) and I don't plan to ever remove it.

FWIW, I have about 15-17k miles on mine and it has seen plenty of rain. Both parked and being ridden. Still looks like new.

Its a good deal for the price, but you ultimately end up getting what you paid for. Not bad at all, but definitely not high end.
Sent from my SCH-R720 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Hmmmm....
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have one on an old CB. Once dialed correctly (not hard at all) the speedo is dead on the money.

The tach is poo at best. Fluctuates badly, but the shift lights work like they should.

Using the supplied temp sensor that came with the Vapor for engine temp (I'm air cooled) that part did OK. In my application the sensor was basically a washer that fit between the spark plug and the head. It read within 10-15 degrees F (hotter)of my mechanical oil temp gauge which read spot on according to an infrared thermometer. Could just be an issue of placement.

The outside air temp display seems pretty accurate whether sitting still or moving, which doesn't really matter, but I found that impressive.

I really only wanted mine so I could have an accurate speedo/ trip meter. It does just that. The rest leaves a bit to be desired IMO. But the display is easy to read (digital MPH readout has spoiled me, actually) and I don't plan to ever remove it.

FWIW, I have about 15-17k miles on mine and it has seen plenty of rain. Both parked and being ridden. Still looks like new.

Its a good deal for the price, but you ultimately end up getting what you paid for. Not bad at all, but definitely not high end.
Sent from my SCH-R720 using Motorcycle.com Free App
I appreciate the review!

Part of what you said exited me but I really want a tach that works accurately :( In the mountains especially Im looking at that 75% of the time. I was hoping to be able to connect an aftermarket gauge set (or digital) directly to the wires on my bezel harness. I imagine to readout would be far more accurate using the VFRs internal rpm sensor. Are their any kinds of streetfighter gauges that use direct connections to your bikes wiring? Or do I need to find a used SV650 bezel or something like that?

·
?????????????
5,471 Posts
For those running the Vapor, what are you doing for your turn signal/fuel level/Neutral/etc leds?
If you really want your idiot lights Veypor do a surround that has 4 signal lights. They do a cheap plastic one which I have and it's pretty good. But if you want to spend a lot more you can buy a sexy billet surround.

Option 3 is depending on your set up just drill holes somewhere on the front of your bike and wire in some small LEDs to your existing wiring harness. When you wire the veypor you'll be wiring it in your harness anyway.

·
Hmmmm....
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Neutral is right in between 1st and 2nd. Every time.

I can see my front blinkers when I'm seated. No indicators needed.

No fuel gauge,no reserve. Stop and fill up at 125 miles.Rinse,repeat.

Fook inidcators! They clutter up the bars. :D
That s*** made me laugh. Yeah neutral doesn't usually wiggle around much :p I'd actually had the thought about the indicators too. Im 90% sure I'm getting the Dominator headlights and Ill drill some blinks into the sides. They will be right in front of my face.

For those running the Vapor, what are you doing for your turn signal/fuel level/Neutral/etc leds?
When I posted I said Vapor w/Indicator dash. To answer your question the "indicator dash" part IS the add on piece with the blinkers etc in it.

On a side note. What about the Vapor setup VS the Koso one? They seem similar?
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/koso-speedometer

·
Hmmmm....
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Me too. Its great! Except here, its illegal. But funny thing is, you don't need one to pass an inspection. Go figure. I used to just have the speedo, out of the cluster, zip tied to the clutch cable. Until the screw collar unscrewed and it fell off. Oh well. Been looking for just a speedo. Mechanical. No lights or nothing. But no dice. Only ones like that I've seen are for harleys, and have the price tag to go with it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
^^I have a set of gauges from a 76 Honda cb360t on ebay if youd want those... and wait.. so these aftermarket gauges changes it from using your speed sensor down by the front sprocket (01 gsxr), to using a wheel speed sensor? that would solve my problems! somethings wrong with my gauges and I have no speed or RPM showing up

1 - 11 of 11 Posts