Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Risk it for the Biscuit
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started having a problem with my transmission. Its become very hard to shift more often than not and it's also hard to find neutral. Just started happening randomly. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot it? Had the oil changed 1000 miles ago. Never had this problem before. 12k miles on the bike. 2002 triumph speed triple

·
Super Moderator
3,080 Posts
First place I'd start is by checking the clutch cable adjustment. There could be too much freeplay causing the clutch to not fully disengage when the lever is pulled all the way in.

Later, Doug

·
The friendly Ghost.
13,174 Posts
Riding with a broken clutch cable is a not so fun experience, glad you got it before it snapped.

Starting from a standstill is the hardest part. Run up to 7 miles an hour (while seated on the bike) and click it gently into first at idle. The engine will even out and allow you to accelerate smoothly.

·
Chief Breakshit Engineer
223 Posts
Make sure you inspect where it was fraying. I completely hosed a new clutch cable because I didnt inspect the source of the fraying

I had a couple clutch cables break. Inevitably it happens many miles from home. One time I fixed it with an adjustable wrench affixed to the lever arm coming out of the top of the case. I got pretty good at using my heel to actuate the clutch by the end of the day, but certainly stop lights were a little hairy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts