Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold the Ducati without the front end and rear rim. I'm going to meet the guy about 30-40 mikes from my house and move it from my trailer to his.

First how should I "package " it for transportation

Second how the fuck do I even move it without damaging shit?

I was thinking putting it on a pallet with done cheapo ratchet straps and letting him just keep them but not sure. It's going to be a challenge in my half assed creative mind anywAy . Any suggestions in how I should go about removing the front end and rear wheel packing it and moving it?

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,373 Posts
Why not tell him to come get it as is without the front end and wheel? Or take it to him and remove the parts at his place after it is in his garage.

Moving it from one trailer to another is going to be a bitch. That has bad news written all over it. Falls and he blames you and you blame him. Could strap it to a pallet. Can you deadlift 200lbs? Have you met him? Can he reliably lift 200lbs?

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Can it sit on the engine case? Most bike can, or at worst need a cradle. Strap it to a moving dolly for easy transfers, and then use load straps to stabilize it in transit as usual. Moving dolly w/ 1000lbs capacity is under $20 at HF.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'll put and old tire underneath it and than recruit help to move it onto a pallet strap it down and bring friends for the transfer. The dolly idea sound good too and I was planning on going to HF this week anyway. Hmmmmm idk gotta think about this a little more.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Ratchet the old tire to the dolly and sit the whole mess on top.
I like the old tire idea, makes a good cradle. But I'd wrap the wratchet strap around the whole stack (dolly, tire, bike). That way if you do pick it up, don't have to re-position to set it down and roll. Buyer will be impressed with your pro skills, and you can tack $20 onto the price for the dolly & straps (or take them home if he balks).

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I was thinking drop the bike in the middle of the tire get the dolly under the tire and strap it straight through the center. Possibly without the tank so it holds the frame tighter .

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Throw it on a couple of moldy mattresses, strap it down.

With something so mushy and soft like that I think you might run the risk of the bike shifting on top of it and possibly falling over. I can totally see that happening in my head. Plus then you still gotta deal with the headache of getting it off a mattress and moving it. The dolly idea seems plausible if youre able to haul a bike around with just a hand truck. Seems like that would be pretty cumbersome too but you dont have a lot of options here since you took the front end and rear wheel off.

They ARE already off right? Someone mentioned leaving it complete and taking those parts off when you get there. Seems like much less of a headache and if you didnt already have plans to use those parts, having the bike complete like that might persuade the dude into buying those too.

·
Registered
299 Posts
With something so mushy and soft like that I think you might run the risk of the bike shifting on top of it and possibly falling over. I can totally see that happening in my head. Plus then you still gotta deal with the headache of getting it off a mattress and moving it. The dolly idea seems plausible if youre able to haul a bike around with just a hand truck. Seems like that would be pretty cumbersome too but you dont have a lot of options here since you took the front end and rear wheel off.

They ARE already off right? Someone mentioned leaving it complete and taking those parts off when you get there. Seems like much less of a headache and if you didnt already have plans to use those parts, having the bike complete like that might persuade the dude into buying those too.
I mean like lay the bike on its side flat on the mattresses, them springers won't mush up. you could drag the mattresses with the bike on it lol.Get some ramps that attach to the tailgate and drag it down and the into the garage. I did that before with a bud, got the mattresses for like $15 at the local yard, it was a funny time all his neighbors watched us wondering what the hell we were doing.

But not a single scratch on the bike in the whole process

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
I mean like lay the bike on its side flat on the mattresses, them springers won't mush up. you could drag the mattresses with the bike on it lol.Get some ramps that attach to the tailgate and drag it down and the into the garage. I did that before with a bud, got the mattresses for like $15 at the local yard, it was a funny time all his neighbors watched us wondering what the hell we were doing.

But not a single scratch on the bike in the whole process

Thats so crazy it just might work.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just did it well got the front end off and the rear wheel off. I stool need to take the rear caliper rotor and sprocket off but it's mostly there. I could trans port it now.

I lifted the bike in the air removed the front end and rear wheel lowered onto a tire with a couple layers of cardboard ontop of the tire to keep it from crushing the tire. Strapped it a hand trucks and bam easily movable. Here's a shitty pic I already rolled it into a corner of my garage.
Front end and rear rim ( whole fuck are Marchesinis light as FUCK)

And strapped up ready for the move next week
After I took this pic I used another strap to get the swingarm higher up

1 - 15 of 15 Posts