Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
GURU
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... just coudn't happen.

After work I went to the local shop to ask about some problems I've been having. First thing I saw was a smacked up 07 cbr1000RR(at first I thought it was the 600). Anyway, it had a marlboro paint scheme. All these kiddies was surrounding the bike. The tank was gone, most of the upper fairings and the rear tail was gone except for the bent undertail pipe.

I said to myself, mmmm I can buy this and would make a sick fighter. I waited for the owner to be done with his paying customers and asked him if he wanted to sell me his bike, He thought I was talking about his R1, I pointed at the cbr and told me it belonged to the kids. I walked over there and the guy was talking about doing a buck 70 and he tears the track up. I never been to the track, but I know enough to bluff my way into a conversation, anyway, the guy was fulla ish.

Regardless, I told him to take the money from the insurance and sell whatever parts weren't cracked and fight the bicth out. "I- had- to- explain- what- that- meant". I pointed to my bike as well as a 636 that had a acerbis headlight on it and along with a stunt fighter cbr. He responded with the eastern european accent, "nah man, how the fock am I supposed to get da beashes?" I nodded my head and walked away.

One of his buddies took interest in my bike then asks "so eef you poot de plasteek back on, u bike go faster?" Then pulls in a busa with a stretched swinger. Yes they knew him. I just nodded my head and went back inside. Just thought to myself the products of marketing gone wrong.

Am I the only one that when looking at a faired bike, I imagine what it looks like stripped naked? I understand it's not for everyone, but I see this new generation coming up being totally oblivious to anything else out there(plastic making a bike go faster?).

disclaimer: in no way was I making fun of accents, I had one as a child until my early teens, I was just using it so ppl reading can feel like they were there. I understand fairing may make a bike more aerodynamic, but not a noticable difference were a novice rider will pass an experienced one.

·
Recent Transplant
2,664 Posts
Speaking as an embassador for the youger generation of riders... we're not all idiots. obviously fairings do lower the drag coefficient of the bike some, but probably not enough to overcome a difference in novice vs. expert position and technique.

and who needs to rely on their full-faired bike to get chicks? If you can't do it on your own, a bike's not going to help in the long run. All you get are dumb blondes who just want to ride on the back. fun.

·
GURU
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
don't get me wrong, not calling the new generation idiots, lets rephrase it and call them a product of what they see on TV. Not all of them, but most. Just close mindedness. There was aguy there with a zx9 that had his license plate on a bracket that was welded to the tip of his can. It's hard to describe and do it justice, but it did look good. His undertail was clean and the guy was happy with it. Anyway, the cbr guy walks toward the work area and tells one of the mechanics how ridiculous it looks, the mecahanics looked at him and said "it's ingenuity"

·
Recent Transplant
2,664 Posts
:Stupid: if they didnt earn it to begin with, they dont know it's value and treat their bikes like shit, and just take it to the dealer to get fixed. no thought, no planning, no real consciousness of what goes into a bike, just a desire to look 'cool' infront of girls and imitate TV.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
Yeah you need to toughen up and get that sand out of your vagina. Sand has a lot of drag.

Anyway... who cares. We figured out a way to make plastic bikes into naked bikes and make them look good... we don't need their stupid mainstream support.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not trying to be Debbie Downer, or start anything here, Haelo I know you are one of the first and founding guys around here, and prolly do know alot of stuff about bikes, but i am going to have to throw this back at you!!!

My bike handles a lot better without all the plastics

I may be the new guy in this here forum, but can you tell me what the removal of fairings did to vastly improve the HANDLING of your bike??

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
Without the fairing mount, heavy stock headlight, and the weight of the plastics (yes, the plastics on the Hayabusa are actually pretty heavy), the tail section, heavy stock taillight, and about 10 lbs worth of subframe steel...

·
Registered
526 Posts
haelo said:
Without the fairing mount, heavy stock headlight, and the weight of the plastics (yes, the plastics on the Hayabusa are actually pretty heavy), the tail section, heavy stock taillight, and about 10 lbs worth of subframe steel...
Pretty much answers ur question right there without ever really giving you an answer... If you take weight off a fat lady shes gonna be able to run faster.

·
890 Posts
I sold the fairings off mine on EBAY and got back half the money I spent on buying the initial bike. As well as making it about 20 pounds lighter, it just made sense.....

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Ha ha...you fookin suspension rookies...LOL

Its not a matter of a bike handling better or worse with or with out the plastics.....its a matter of the suspension being set up right, whether you have the plastics on or not. That weight difference definitely makes a difference in how it should be set up.

I believe Haelo when he says the bike handled better with the plastics off, but what that tells me, is that is was not set up right, with the plastics on.

A lot of people think that they know how to set up a suspension, and then I hear how they do it, and get a blank look when I ask them things like, did they get on the bike, bounce it up and down, and then measure stuff like static sag, etc. They have no idea what I am talking about. I am no expert myself, but I do take all my road bikes to a place that does suspension tuning, and they do it right in my opinion....make me wear all the gear I am gonna ride in, calculate weights and riding style, and get it set up perfect for what I am doing, either track or street. :D

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
fairings will let you reach higher speeds, b/c on a naked bike its tough to get over 130 without being blown off the back of the bike.

however on normal roads, at normally excessive speeds, not having fairings isnt gonna make your bike handle better... aerodynamically (me thinks) but the weight reduction sure will help out.

poor prettyboys. must be tough to keep yourself up to the public eye's standards and maintain your prettyness. hah.
i mean honestly, when i first got my bike i was in love with it fully dressed (and still love its outfit) however, once submerged in the streetbike scene...that whole crowd totally turned me off to the 'full dress' and the people who ride them and know nothing about them.

from there i end up talking to bike builders, often times choppers. old school stuff mostly, stunters- who have to work on their bikes to get em set up right for stunting....and then i got into the SF scene.

:metal:

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
DougZ said:
Ha ha...you fookin suspension rookies...LOL

Its not a matter of a bike handling better or worse with or with out the plastics.....its a matter of the suspension being set up right, whether you have the plastics on or not. That weight difference definitely makes a difference in how it should be set up.

I believe Haelo when he says the bike handled better with the plastics off, but what that tells me, is that is was not set up right, with the plastics on.

A lot of people think that they know how to set up a suspension, and then I hear how they do it, and get a blank look when I ask them things like, did they get on the bike, bounce it up and down, and then measure stuff like static sag, etc. They have no idea what I am talking about. I am no expert myself, but I do take all my road bikes to a place that does suspension tuning, and they do it right in my opinion....make me wear all the gear I am gonna ride in, calculate weights and riding style, and get it set up perfect for what I am doing, either track or street. :D

My suspension was set up before and it's set up now. I know how to do it.

Thanks for that.

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
haelo said:
My suspension was set up before and it's set up now. I know how to do it.

Thanks for that.
Alls I am saying is, if you took off the fairings and the bike honestly handled better...it was not set up right before. No two ways about it. Not trying to be all high and mighty.....just saying what I know.

Chinasteve should be able to back me up on this....as he does the track and hopefully understands the importance of a properly set up suspension.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts