Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

trip to L.A on the wing last week

7K views 39 replies 23 participants last post by  gsf1200R 
#1 ·
this is how the trip went.
Mason Tractor wanted to buy this f 700 dump truck that was for sale on Craig's list down in los angles and called me for the trip.The plan was for me to ride to Santa Fe LA on the goldwing. a 7 hr drive.
Purchase the truck than load the bike in the back of the truck and head for home.
I figured I will leave at 12 midnight wensday arrive at the guy`s shop at 7AM when they open .
A couple weeks before this while returning home from my doughter`s place about 3 hours north of my place I desided to ride along the levie`s that folows the sacremento river.it is a good ride if you are looking to ride at a fast pace for a long way`s becouse the road is raised 20 ft and visability is good for miles.
I was crusing at 90 for a while and burned up the main shaft brg in the transmission .took the engine out the next day. While I hade the engine out I went through the motor and the rear dif.I just needed diff brg to show up then I could finish it and get going.
I get the bike done and go for a test ride. all is good .
by this time a storm moved in and had started to rain Putin the trip off a couple day`s. i talked the guy in LA into holding it untill wensday .I Finley leave tuesday nite about 11:30. Before I left I try-ed to sleep a couple hours but couldn't.the bike is running great and it is about 3 am now and i am on interstate 5 with nothing but me and miles of truckers behind and in front as far as you could see.
out of the blue with no warning i fall asleep drifting off to the right of the slow lane and woke when i ran over a marker.wow that was close i think to my self.It seamed like less than a mile later i fall asleep again drifting from the slow lane across the fast lane and came to when i ran over the caution bumps next to the center divide wall and this trucker is laying on his horn.
I gather it up put it back on the road and the trucker is telling me on his PA well that's twice Budd i will pull into the next rest area and you are welcome to crash in my rig while i do a couple hours of paper work .
that was cool of the guy but I didnt think that I could make it to the next rest area .
the next exit was to the town of San walkeen .this place is a valley about 40 miles long north to south and about 25 miles wide east to west. all aggriculture . figured I would find a Denny`s and get something to eat and sleep a fue minutes . 20 minutes into the soy been Fields and i get to a deserted farming town. the only other living thing I saw was this scraggly little dog in the middle of the street barking at me and a cop board out of his mind.
The cop tells me that the only place to eat is 25 miles away and gives me directions .off I go back to I- 5 .it is dark as a cave and I am travailing on this irrigation road about 30MPH and suddenly I feel like iI am air borne than I am almost throne over the bars .the bike is shut down i am not moving and my feet are on the pegs. WTF i go to get off the bike and the ground is up to my highway peg gs .
i step off and sink in this clay up to my knee WTF.i guess a water main broke and just simply washed away about 100 ft of the road. the angle on my shoulder just wasn't going to let me back on the road no mater what it took.The bike and i weren't going any further till i get wenched from the volcano i drove into so i went to sleep till day lite.
at about 6 am wensday i open my eyes to a beautiful sunrize and all be dam but that little dog found me some time during the night and was asleep at my feet. the second I move the dog snaps to his feet and is at a safe distance as if he never met someone that didnt kick him.I will say this as clear as i can .their is no good in a person that can misstreat an animal and should be removed from life as soon as posible .now i get a good look at the situation.for fuck sakes .my bike was in this gray clay up to the axel`s never seen mud like this in my time walking the earth .so thick the bike wouldnt fall over shit i couldnt evan pull it over.way off in the distance i can see a farmer opening watter valves mile by mile. finaly he see`s me waving my arms and comes to see what is up.he is acrost the swamp with a look on his face like what is this ****** doin out hear in the first plase and how did he wind up in that ........ah fuckin ******`s...
so what do es the spanican do he try`s to drive through the swamp doesn't get twenty feet and he is stuck .the dog and i look at each other and i swear the dog was as stunned as i was.i shake my head and ask the dog did he just do that ?
the little guy cocks his head at my words looks back at the truck and just drops his but to sit.funniest thing i have seen a dog do in a long time.the farmer calls his nephew to come help .me and the dog made a couple PBJ`S for breakfast while we waited .the kid shows up with a jeep and shure as shit gets it stuck.the poor farmers had no idea that thay had stepped into jay`s world and they were not prepared .shit i am un prepared most the time and I live with me !!! The next guy comes out with this huge tractor combine like thing and yanked us all out. part 2 tomorrow
thanks for your time
jaybuilt

See less See more
#2 ·
LOL. can't wait to here the rest of the story.

#7 ·
so did you just sleep along side the road or what?

#11 ·
cant deny that

#12 ·
Ok i will get to the second part now that my PC is working again.

DAN and NOAH
i didnt evan have my phone on the trip it gave up hours befor i left and had to use the baterys from the camra for my flash lite.i got to figure that when i leave home i need to have a camra or i shouldnt leave .lol me and my little freind crashed on this chunck of cement that the watter pump was bolted to .

998 that is some sticky shit . i could not evan pull the bike over on its side.

lynch
yep thats it and i have ben rebuilding the wing but it is finished now thanks for checking

shotgun
i am on it now i will post in the am

thanks for your time CFers

#13 ·
You are the only person I've ever even heard of falling alseep on a bike. Then again, it's a GW, so it prolly has autopilot anyway. LOL

#14 ·
los angles
wensday
doughter`s
desided
sacremento
becouse
visability
crusing
hade
untill
wensday
nite
try-ed
aggriculture
fue
soy been
cop board out of his mind.
travailing
air borne
throne over the bars
wenched
wensday
sunrize
dam
misstreat
posible
axel`s
evan
watter
finaly
acrost
plase
spanican <(racist)
shure
thay
Great story! But your spelling is atrocious... :doh:
I hope English isn't your first language... lol
I can't wait for part two!

P.S. if English ISN'T your first language I apologize in advance! lol

#15 ·
it adds effect to the story hahaha

#17 ·
Of course jaybuilt fell asleep - that thing's a lounge chair on wheels!

Get the heater and stereo going, and ease back behind that huge windscreen...and just drift off....

You probably can't sleep for at least 2 hours after riding the Outlaw XJ500!

And probably half the neighborhood can't sleep while you're riding it. :D

You scared me like a motherfucker when I read that you fell aslep on the wing!

#20 ·
now I have to say good by to my new pal, that kept me company for the last 6 hours.I will never forget that little dog`s face,his little face told the hart bruising story of his life. I am confident that he wont forget me because I took the time to reed it and treat him like he should have Ben treated his hole life. As I road away he just stood their in the middle of the street watching me. At a stop sign I turn around for a last wave,and the image I saw is branded in my mind for the rest of my life. The little guy isnt much big bigger than a cat standing in the middle of forty thousand acre`s of crops that feed people all over the world the mountains behind him with the sun only up for an hour or so turning the crop rows into golden lines that seamed to hold a 10 foot thick layer of fog to the ground like a big white quilt over the sleepy valley . with a lump in my throat that made my eyes water I turned and road away asking the angle that has ben on my shoulder for my entire life to keep an eye on him for me .
I am not sure how yet but this little dog has changed me .
got the bike cleaned off and siad thank`s to the farmer`s put the bike back on coarse for LA .
Before dropping down into LA the Las Padres mountain range must be ascended .This part of the interstate is called the Grapevine . one travails from 1000 ft to 4000 ft in about 4 miles then down from 4000ft to 500ft in about 10 miles .
a steep section of interstate that`s for sure .Their is a section just for trucks that is separate but follows closely .
LA is a place that I am glad i saw but holly shit! Their are so many people in this city it is hard to beleave.I doubt their is 2 acre`s of dirt in LA and I cant see how one could ever be by himself in this plase.no mater ware you are their are people bustling about.It made me feel cramped up and nervous with so much going on around me.
Their isn't a pay phone to be found in LA.what kind of city doesn't have a pay phone?
After 2 hours I found the construction company that had the truck .It is now 3 PM and I am 8 hours behind schedule and their is good chance he sold the it by now . I am depending on luck at this point, which I do quite often as you guy`s know . killer he still has it .No sooner do i hand him the cash than 2 other guys pull in with cash in hand. shit that was close.seams like i say that allot doesn't it.anyways so we need to get some straps under the wing and load it so i can get the hell out of dodge.the guy `s were having a tuff time loading the bike and I don't know Spanish so I went and got jay the owner of the company to translate for me . I said please tell them to stop what they are doing and tell the backhoe operator to step down . I adjusted the straps and handed them to jay and said hold these right hear and i jumped up in the backhoe. repositioned it dropped the down riggers and swung the bucket over the bike ,pinched the straps with the thumb and set the wing in the frickin truck.I get down and said jay tell them one more thing for me. If you make everything a big deal well than everything is a big deal.he smiles and tells them what i said.
they all just looked kind of confused and jay turns to me and askted hey ah do you need a job Jay? lol
so now i am in 5:00 traffic heading for the grapevine and freedom is on the other side.one little problem thew the cops frown on trucks that don't stay in the slow lane and it is a big fine.the problem is with so many trucks going in and out of LA the slow lane is one pot hole after another 10 minutes of this shit and the wing was free from the tie downs and on its side. it will be like this until i get over the vine and into another county ware they actually fix the roads. I have to stop every few miles and retie the bike .what a pain in the ass ,now I am at the foot of the vine and traffic is gone bringing a new problem . i have to climb the vine and descend at 55 mph 10 minutes of that and I will have a metric load of shit to haul home.I find a auto parts store for tie downs,a truck stop for red bull and a cargo blanket and a Starbucks for coffee .
then went for it . by the time i got over the vine my hair was strait up, one eye was wide open and dilated the other was shut and asleep . I couldn't evan sign my name my hands were shaking so bad from no sleep and to much cafine
it is 9:00 and in front of me its trucks as far as i can see and the same behind me . north bound at 70 mph ! around midnight i come to a section of the 2 lane interstate that they were doing work on and they had a temp wall running along the right side of the highway real close to the line
one slip and up the wall you go . all of a suden baaaa .....baaaa the engine starts to bog .....no ..
no fuckin way .....chug ........bang .......chug....yep she shuts down in the slow lane at 12:00 no flairs,no street lights a wall 6 inches from my right tires and a couple thousand trucks weighing 80 thousand pounds moving over to the fast lane and going by at 55 mph.just what I needed.with my one good eye I crawl out the passenger window and get out my tool kit that came with the bike and my flashlight squeeze between the wall and the truck and shimmy under the fuel tank and their is an electric fuel pump on the frame i find the feed line and crack it loose no fuel .turns out the transfer line had ben clogged and they were only using one tank and I filled the other tank.I blow on the line until I just about pass out and got some flow than hooked it back up and waited a few minutes hit the key and it started .yes i limp it to the next turn off and find a 4 way intersection with a street light and pull under it for further repair.it is now 1:30 am and i might as well ben on the moon it is so dark and cold I have a 1/2 inch fuel line in my mouth and i cant blow no more. well i didn't need to because judging by the mouth full of diesel i just got it ant clogged no more.3:00 in the morning now and and i have an empty gut and my one good eye is starting to twitch. pulled it into a truck stop got some fuel,coffee,and info .I asked the teller how much further to 152 and she points and said about an hour that way.i grab my stuff and as i get to the door i realize she pointed south i turned and said do you mean north she said no south.yep i passed it an hour ago.she tells me you cant miss it their doing a bunch of work on the road right their and it`s down to 2 lanes. shiverid my self to sleep until dawn and headed for home . the end thanks for your time CFers
that is all caryon

#24 ·
damn dude! thats some crazy shit. What ever happened to that little dog? That part of the story really got to me, I even gave my dog a hug after I read it ha.
i hope a bunch of dogs get an extra hug becouse of this story.that is all thay want from us . thanks for the time budd

#23 ·
Nothing like the old "dual tank" problems........

We had one moving truck that had the electric tank switch go out, and I'd have to crawl under it to swap tank on the side of the road until we got a new one. Used my "hemostats" (honest, used for nothing but that....) to pinch the line, and manually switch lines on the damn thing. It wasn't too bad unless we were someplace it was raining or snowing....

#27 ·
jay i hope im as smart as you some day so i can get myself out of any trouble i find myself in

#31 ·
scrapyard
yeah budd some of them are damn good arent they.Thanks for tackin a look scraps .
hope all is good at your end of the country talk with ya later sir.

ali
I have thought about that many times Ali. i think we all do ha! anywhoo thanks for your time Ali see ya on hear later.

smoker
ahhhh my oldst freind on the net.allways have somthing nice and positive to say. I allways look forward to reading what rite . yeah the wing is a mobil living room for fuck sakes.glad you enjoied the story smoker.things are lookin good on your builds way to stay focust pete.thanks for everything sir smoker.

dan the man!
well dan i guess it is all up to you.but i have to tell ya ,schools dont teach it life does so get out doors as much as posible .never listen to negitive opinions.and do every thing yourself . wala 35 years later you can fix anything but people.thanks dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.