Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I want to drill my top triple for bar risers but I don't have the means.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
You could probably buy a cheap Harbor Freight hand drill and handle that just fine. Probably have less money in that than if you got it done for free and just paid to ship it back and forth.

I'd be glad to pop two holes in there for you,but hate to see you waste money on shipping that you could invest in tools. A corded hand drill is a wonderful thing to own. Cheap bits from Harbor Freight will plow through that aluminum in no time.

If you decide you still really would like someone else to do it just holler at me. We'll work something out.

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
I did a set of GSXR triples I gotta send back out to JackstandJohnny here on CF, I have a 4 flute mill bit that does perfect 12mm plunge cuts on triples all day long. I used to do the hand drill and then drill press methods but ended up liking the results of the mill most of anything.

In my opinion, stock up on good tools and spend the few bucks to ship the stuff to a machinist for properly indexed and drilled holes.

JJ's triple machined for backing plates to cover the skeletal structure under it. Which by the way can make a hand drill have fits staying center on, even the cheap drill presses have some issue holding a triple solid if the bit heats up and starts to clog.

The riser was kinda twisted on the one closest to the camera, there is no overhang from the risers to the triples. It is absolutely as wide as you can go on the triples and still fit the bars mounting area into them properly. You ain't getting that precision without some experience and good tools. ;)

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
Thanks for filling in the gaps of info that I left out. :)

And that is what this community is so awesome for, between less than 5 posts you have nuggets of gold when it comes to info just browsing as a guest. I can only imagine what it's like to not be a regular around here and just stop in to use the search feature to find information on a swap or a particular way of doing something like drilling triples or spacing wheels. I love this place. :)

:cfrocks:

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I really appreciate it. My triple is literally the exact same as jj's so I have all the webbing and whatnot on the underside. The only difference is that I cut everything that was extruded on the bottom off to make it flat.

I would really like it if someone with the right tools and know how could do this for me. I have hand drills and bits and all kinds of tools but from experience they are hard to get a precise hole with.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
If all the webbing is gone you'll be just fine. You've already got it center punched so run about an 1/8" drill bit through there to establish a solid hole. Next run another bit hole one size smaller than the desired final size. That way when you run the final bit thru there the chips wont be abrading and enlarging your.actual desired hole size.

I don't have a mill like Rat does, so I'll step aside and see if he has time to do this. If not I'm happy to help. Not trying to pressure you, but I'm confident you can knock this out yourself. Nothing wrong with asking for help either.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The webbing is all still there. I may have been a little unclear. I didn't remove any webbing. All I did was cut off the two protruding knobs where the gauges screw in.

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
Here's how I did risers on my Gsxr.

Later, Doug

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It'd be nice if I could do it that way but the risers I am using are a fixed width because the top is one piece not two

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Oh nevermind I read again. This is the first time Ive seen pics. Looks great man thanks again for hepling me with that. Myth44 I've got a drill press but I still didnt wanna fuck around with all that webbing myself. Thats why I asked Ben if He could do it for me since He has a mill. LAst time I removed the webbing putting risers on an 06 GSXR top triple and it was a fucking PAIN. Took hours and hours of dremeling, filing, sanding, all that shit and I STILL had to make plate to reinforce the underside of it. Reinforcing the top triple after removing that webbing is super important. Despite what anybody says theres a definite risk of the triple breaking there from all that force. Play it safe with this one.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How has the jb weld held up? And cracking or separating from the triple? Did you scuff the inside of the triple to give the job a profile to stick to?

·
☢
5,596 Posts
How has the jb weld held up? And cracking or separating from the triple? Did you scuff the inside of the triple to give the job a profile to stick to?
i did take dremel to the underside to scuff it up. There's also a fender washer before the nuts went on. So far it's held solid, but I have not ridden it, the bikes still in project form

·
Fooking old git
2,216 Posts
I used metal filler under the top yoke, and a steel plate over this, this has been good for over 2 years including two crashes caused by lose grit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts