Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Everything is simple...
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does it mean when your stock offset is 30 and the aftermarket one is listed at 32?

I don't know if this is mm or degrees.

Is more offset better?
Would you notice a 2 mm difference?

Questions from the curious...

:thumbsup:

Sympul

·
Hazards-r-us
707 Posts

·
Everything is simple...
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the site expalined to me that by increasing the offset of the triple clamps, I'll be reducing the trail of the front wheel.

And then I had to look up what that would mean, and I found this:

"In general a longer trail setup produces a greater caster effect, heavier and slower steering, and a more stable feel in a straight line. Reducing the trail causes the bike to steer lighter and quicker, however makes the front end feel nervous at high speeds."

So, that means it'll turn quicker, but that it could also cause shakes at higher speed. :wtf:

I don't want that!!

do I?

Sympul

·
Everything is simple...
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a picture that shows the triple clamp offset a bit more clearly.

... 'can't remember where I stole this, but it was probably from the SV forum.

From what I can see (in the pictures I'm accumulated from the internets), most ppl that do the GSXR front end swap usually have a steering dampener bolted on too. Are they just being safe, or does the increase of tank-slappers go up as you fuck with the geo-met-ry. (said in a bad southern accent.)

:thumbsup:

Sympul

·
Function IS Form
17,406 Posts
You'll get front-end shake in the same situations you would normally get front-end shake but the rate of oscillation will increase in less time.

·
Everything is simple...
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhhhh... ok.

So, on this setup I'll get tank slappers no matter what steering I have if the conditions are right. The only difference is that it'll get bad faster if my offset is greater.

I think I can live with that.

... unless I crash, in which case I'll come back here and post pics of the wreck. :D

Sympul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts