Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so here's the deal, I thought I had done my homework but I'm starting to second guess that. I've got an 02 CBR 954 and picked up a VFR800 sssa assembly a while back complete with everything but the wheel. I was not looking to put a very wide wheel on the bike or the narrower VFR wheel, I would prefer to stick with the stock size so as not to alter the handling capabilities of the bike at all. I then ran across the Triumph hub swap idea, and found the dimensions of the 955 wheel to be the same as that of the 954, plus it has 3 spokes and looks good, too! And so, I bought a rear swingarm assembly complete with wheel off of a 1999 Triumph Sprint. I was under the impression that it would be a simple swap of hubs or axles. Sounds great in theory right?

I've now gotten them disassembled and discovered that the Triumph hub I have is not only smaller in diameter, it is also narrower. On top of that, the axle is shorter (to fit the narrower carrier) and it is smaller in diameter on one end.

After searching google and reading through various threads, I've come across various occasions where a triumph hub was used in a VFR750 arm, but not in a VFR800 arm. I'm starting to think that if there is a hub out there that will fit into the VFR800 arm, it's not the one that I have setting in my garage.

Has anyone had any experience with this and could provide some insight? If there were only a couple of things that were different I could work with that, but after going over them with my caliper they're two completely different hubs.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
I believe the vfr750 and triumphs hubs are interchangeable and are both 105mm in diameter x 70mm wide.
Cant remember what the vfr800 is but I know its not the same, it is larger than any sssa hub bike I know of.
Heres a little info to help get you on your way but the long and short of it is I dont know of any hub that would fit as the ducati is smaller, vfr750 is smaller, mv sgusta is smaller, hawk is smaller, the rvf may fit but good fukn luck finding one. Anyway...

90-93 VFR (shock linkage mount is two lobes on bottom of swingarm)(shock end is a 'fork')
Length: 565
Pivot width: 242 (+3.5 thrust collar)
Pivot diameter: 20
Eccentric outside diameter: 105
Eccentric width: 70 (+3 crenelated 'edge')
Caliper carrier diameter: 75
Caliper carrier width: 14
Brake rotor diameter: 255
Brake rotor mount diameter: 110
Sprocket mount diameter: 175
Wheel drive diameter: 100

94-97 VFR (shock linkage mount is one lobe on bottom of swingarm)(shock end is an 'eye')
Length: 560
Pivot width: 227 (+3.5 thrust collar)
Brake rotor diameter: 255
Sprocket mount diameter: 175

Hawk (shock is direct-mounted to top of swingarm)(shock end is an 'eye')
Length: 545
Pivot width: 235
Pivot diameter (right): 15
Pivot diameter (left): <22
Brake rotor diameter: 240
Brake rotor mount diameter: 100
Sprocket mount diameter: 165

RC30 (shock linkage mount is two lobes on bottom of swingarm)(shock end is a 'fork')
Length: 530
Pivot width: 235
Caliper carrier diameter: 76
Caliper carrier width: 13
Brake rotor diameter: 220
Sprocket mount diameter: 140
Wheel drive diameter: 85

RC45 (shock linkage mount is two lobes on bottom of swingarm)(shock end is a 'fork')
Length: 540
Pivot width: 250
Eccentric outside diameter: 117
Eccentric width: 77 (+3 crenelated 'edge')
Caliper carrier diameter: 76
Caliper carrier width: 13

RVF400 (shock linkage mount is two lobes on bottom of swingarm)(shock end is a 'fork')
Length: 540 (??)
Pivot width: 215
Eccentric outside diameter: 105 (??)
Eccentric width: 60 (+3 crenelated 'edge')
Caliper carrier diameter: 76 (??)
Caliper carrier width: 15

NSR250 / mc28

MV Agusta F4 (shock linkage mount is bolt on, under swingarm. linkage arrangement is similar to Ducati 916)
Length: 545
Pivot width: 255
Eccentric width: 76
Wheel drive diamter: 85

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
After searching google and reading through various threads, I've come across various occasions where a triumph hub was used in a VFR750 arm, but not in a VFR800 arm. I'm starting to think that if there is a hub out there that will fit into the VFR800 arm, it's not the one that I have setting in my garage.

Has anyone had any experience with this and could provide some insight? If there were only a couple of things that were different I could work with that, but after going over them with my caliper they're two completely different hubs.
Hey bud, I've done it. Not for the Triumph 3 spoke though, I really wanted the split 5 spoke.

This write up, post #62 here: http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63138&page=7

With updates in Post #9 here: http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75066

I put this thread together for anyone wanting to ref different swingarm components: http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65092 which might be helpful.

Good luck getting it done, I've not seen too many people do it. Welcome in btw, I already like the way you're thinking. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts