Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
aimless
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'd start a thread for my bike. Bought it with plans to fix it into a fighter over the winter.

02 Triumph TT600 with 16k miles. Paid 800 for her.

The day I got it home:

Immediately stripped off the ridiculous aluminum fairing the previous owner had made.

Then got to work removing the ugly coolant reservoir and coming up with something more classy:

I am thinking about vinyl wrapping the bike rather than painting, so I bought a sample of vinyl to play with. I tried it on the front fender:

Seems like it should work well. I don't know if this is the color I want yet or not. I'm thinking matte gray metallic, with red triumph/tt logos.

Then I decided to chop the muffler:

Previous owner threw in a new rear tire, so I mounted that up too.

Plans for the winter:

Sharkskinz race tail
Some sort of different headlight
Hide all wiring
Relocate or replace gauges (haven't decided)
Vinyl wrap tank/plastics
Speed four intakes
New clutch/brake levers
New grips
Bar end mirrors
Valve adjustment
Fork seals
Adjust fuel mapping for exhaust/intake
Probably a lot of other stuff

I will update this as I make progress, but It will probably be slow. Hope you all enjoy.

·
aimless
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As suspected, progress has been slow. Worked 112 hours in the last 2 weeks at work, so I have had no time for the bike.

I did get my new tail fairing though

I got the tail from sharkskinz. It fits pretty well, but only used 2 of the stock mounts, so I had to get creative with mounts to keep it from moving around. It looks huge in the pictures, but I think it looks good in person. I haven't come up with a place to relocate the seat lock yet.

I've decided to ditch the stock tail light and come up with something myself. I'm thinking a 3" round led light something like this

And flush mounts for turn signals.

I also got my new headlight in and mounted temporarily, and some cheapo bar end mirrors and brake and clutch levers

I ordered some intakes off of a speed four on ebay, but was sent the wrong thing, so hopefully that will get sorted out and I will have intakes to cover the holes in the frame soon.

Lots of wiring coming up next.

·
aimless
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The build is still going on. Things are just moving friggin slow.

The valves are in the middle of being adjusted. I know what shims I need, I have just been too lazy/busy to go out and get them.

I wrapped the tail, and am pretty happy with how it turned out. Not perfect, but I can always redo it. The tank should be a breeze after doing the tail.

Did some tests on the tank too

Got my speed four intakes in. I plan to shorten them, paint them matte black, and mount them.

New rubber for the front

And that's where I'm at.

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
props to you man. wrapping shit aint easy. how did you wind up going about it?

·
aimless
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I used 3m 1080 vinyl and a heat gun. I originally tried wrapping it in one piece, but it was too difficult. I ended up doing 3 pieces and the seams are hardly noticeable. I think the tank will be done in 3 sections as well.

·
aimless
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had off work today due to the cold weather. -23F this morning. Brrrr. What better time to wrap my tank.

Here it is all prepped:

I decided to wrap it in 3 sections to save myself some headache. First section in progress

and done

Both done, now on to the top

Top was a pain. Lots of curve to cover. Got it done though, and I think it turned out nice.

Now it's decision time. Do I go with white or red Triumph logos?

·
aimless
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know how long it will last honestly. This is my first time using vinyl on a bike. If it lasts a season I will be happy. I've done a few tests on parts wrapped with this vinyl (scratching it, spilling oil and gas on it) and it seems very durable. Definitely more durable than a rattle can finish.

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
Looks good, you should do a write up on vinyl wrapping. I vote for the red as well, and you can do white pinstripes to cover up the seams in the vinyl.

·
aimless
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven't gotten a great deal done on the bike lately. I trimmed the speed four intakes down 2 inches today, and will be painting them matte black and mounting them soon.

Measured

The rough and smelly stage

Edge cleaned up

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
just a thought but could you lacqer over the vinal???????

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
just another thought when its left in the sun the vinal might bubble and crease???????

·
aimless
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Had some free time today, so I got a little done on the bike. Got the intakes mounted, and put the tank and tail on to get an idea of what the bike will look like.

Tapping threads to bolt the intakes on

Mounted with stainless hardware

Tank and tail temporarily mounted

I also wrapped the front fender

I'm really liking the color scheme I chose. The headlight bothers me though. I think it sticks out too far.

Anyone got any suggestions for a headlight that would look good on this bike?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts