Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
☢
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any benefit to going 2into1 on a vertical twin? The cb350 came factory dual exhaust, and was thinking about a 2into1 on the rebuild.

How about on a thumper? The ktm duke is not really a 2into1, it has 1 cylinder, two exhaust valves, two small headers that go into 1 (and back into 2 on the duke II).

Is there any benefit to going 2into1 for the cb? Or taking the ktm and running a true dual system?

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
In my opinion the old CB twins sound far better on a true 2-1. The actual dual sounds like, well, crap. But that is just my opinion on it. Not sure if there is much of a gain unless you build the whole system from scratch like I did for my '76 360 using larger inside diameter tube than the stock exhaust came with and a muffler that is far less restrictive than the stock affair.

·
Registered
740 Posts
In my opinion the old CB twins sound far better on a true 2-1. The actual dual sounds like, well, crap.
Completely agree, that goes for any of the older parallel twins. My old GS450 sounded like a muffled fart with the stock exhaust. A true 2-1 mac megaphone made it sound infinitely better. It still ran fine, but a little carb fiddling definitely improved response and seemed to pull a bit harder on the top end.

In general into 1 exhausts tend to do a bit better than into 2 exhausts for power, and also weigh a little less. It's more up to you in terms of styling.

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
Completely agree, that goes for any of the older parallel twins. My old GS450 sounded like a muffled fart with the stock exhaust. A true 2-1 mac megaphone made it sound infinitely better. It still ran fine, but a little carb fiddling definitely improved response and seemed to pull a bit harder on the top end.

In general into 1 exhausts tend to do a bit better than into 2 exhausts for power, and also weigh a little less. It's more up to you in terms of styling.
I also believe it makes tuning and synching the carbs much easier as opposed to individual pipes. But don't quote me on that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts