Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
SportBikeTrackGear.com
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my 99 Speed Triple. There's a lack of down low power since removing the muffler. I'm wondering if Tune ECU or Power Commander can help fill that hole. As it is right now, it runs great, I just got to get the RPMS up higher than I'd like. Below 3k it's a dog.

From what I've read, Tune ECU sounds like it's a little more difficult, maybe like a shop tool more than a DIY option. But it's free.

I'm unsure whether PC will fix my problem.

Any recommendations? No, I'm not putting a muffler back on it.

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
Why would you spend on a power commander if TE can do the same for free. Just beware that fiddling with the maps too much not knowning what you're doing can completely ruin the bike so first thing to do is make a backup of the original map. The best thing would be to take it to a dyno and have them do the adjustments. PC is a bit more of a sticker patch over a dent type fix on a bike that has an unlocked ECU.

So you're running a straight pipe on a triple huh? Just don't burn your exhaust valves... wonder would it give you a little back pressure to restrict the tip a little...

·
SportBikeTrackGear.com
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mattson, you're spot on. I added a conical stainless steel pipe as a finishing piece. It sounds and looks great. I thought about adding a baffle like you mentioned, but don't want to go that route.

I think you're right, the best way to handle this is have it tuned by a pro, but there's nobody near me to do such a tune. I could try it myself, but I would probably just as likely screw something up as fix it.

I guess I'll leave it for now. If you want to heat how it sounds, do a search for RTE 555 on you tube and click my video. You'll have to ignore the annoying rattle of the gopro that was mounted too closely to a loose headlight mount, but you'll get the idea. I love that sound.

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
Tuning the ECU is absolutely the way to go. I can talk to my tuner tomorrow and see if there's any way he can do it without the bike (i.e. you send him your ECU). A proper tune should be done on the dyno, but some basic adjustments to the maps should be doable.

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Tune ecu is more powerful than a power commander, cheaper, and doesn't involve scotch locks :bleugh:

You'll need to find someone with a dyno who either knows the software or is willing to learn it. It's not hard to use but expect them to charge for their time while they figure it out.

Something to consider is your bike is a '99, and has literally first generation motorcycle Efi, it could just have developed a fault which needs fixing. Unless it was running perfect til you changed something. These bikes suffer idle air control valve issues for one thing.

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
So my tuner says you'd be better off with a Power Commander for what you're trying to accomplish (and he's a big fan of ECU tunes over PC, so that says something).

·
Registered
740 Posts
From what you're describing, it sounds like there's a lean spot in the low end now, causing the bogging under 3k.

Set up correctly, either a PC or ECU tune could solve this problem. TuneECU's software is free, although I suspect you would need to buy/make a specialty interface cable to connect the USB slot on your computer to the bike's ECU through the diagnostics port.

TuneECU is definitely the more "powerful" tuning option, but with great power comes great responsibility. Go in there and just start fiddling with stuff and you can royally mess things up. As suggested, creating a backup of the stock tune before making any changes is a must. Even still, connection errors, a laptop crash, ect can potentially "brick" the ECU, such as if the connection is interrupted mid-flash, rendering the ECU completely dead. If you go this route, definitely do your homework or stick with pre-made maps. Some tuning centers may be familiar with it, although probably only if they specialize in Euro bikes.

Power commander is more user friendly and gives you just basic fuel adjustments, which is really all you need to cure the problem at hand. There is little risk of damaging the bike, unless you set it knife-edge lean and then go run the nuts off it. The older versions required tapping wires, potentially causing reliability issues, though the newer ones are plug-n-play with factory connectors. Tuning centers are probably more familiar with power commander, but just to clean up a low end bog, start with +5 (the numbers are % of ECU delivered pulse width) in the cells in the affected RPM range and fiddle with it from there.

·
SportBikeTrackGear.com
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys. Thanks for all the info. I've been doing research on Power Commanders. As soon as it warms up a bit, I'll ride it around again as is, and if I still feel the low end power has to be fixed, I'll order one. I didn't want to throw another 300 bones at this bike, but it's kinda hard not to throw money at something you're in love with. I really do like this bike. Other than down low power, it's kinda perfect in every other way. Except maybe low speed handling. It has a pretty big turning radius. But that's picking nits.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Seriously... Your bike has a programmable ECU from the factory. You'd be mad to buy a power commander. Only plausible reason to do that is if you also buy the auto tuner but even then, those 500 bucks would buy you an obd2 cable plus enough dyno time to get it running perfect and probably about 250 worth of beer too. Even better you wouldn't be lugging a pointless extra black box and even betterer you'll have zero scotch locks in your ignition system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts