Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to start this thread to keep a log of the progress

12/21/13 - Bought project bike with spare parts and new replacement parts. 24K miles on the clock but was not running at time of purchase

Plans are to ditch the factory plastics and make it a fighter. Probably just going to fix and sell it on for a profit and start all over again

Pics to follow

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Made some more progress. After I got it up and running properly I ordered a new A/F mixture screw. It's going to be ordered from Honda and it'll be here by the end of next week and since I'm out of scratch till payday it kinda works out great.

So after much talking with friends, reading online and thinking I'm going to give the fairing pieces that I have a chance to be something better than they are on their own. I started by cutting the front fender down... way too much 80's plastic. Then I took my dremmil to the front nose fairing.

Right now it's just a rough shape. I'm just going to add some fiberglass and roll it under to make it not end on a hard edge. I also have a belly pan on its way.

I've also been googling motorcycle paint schemes and I found this green one that looks like the green hornet. Too bad ass. I don't know if I can get this out of a rattle can but imma try

'89 Hurricane F1ghter Project

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now it's time to blow it apart and clean it up good. Get all the grime and the 25yr old grease.

I stopped by Pep Boys to take a look at what colors they have available. I know they carry plasti-dip but I was not expecting this kind of choices in the store...

Dayyoommnnn that's a lot of choices....

Here is how far we got tearing down yesterday

More to come but it's going to be a lot of cleaning and cleaning and cleaning to get it prepped for paint. Personally I don't like chrome so every surface will be painted rather than buffed

'89 Hurricane F1ghter Project

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dope project! Love older fighters, will be keepin my eye on this

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Plasti dip is pretty awesome...if you haven't used it before you really need to give it a full day or two before it really cures and becomes durable. If you don't like the color you picked just peel if off and try again!!

Cant wait to see where this goes

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of the bikes I built last year was all plasti dip. I think its great stuff.

However I used it on the frame of a 97 CBR900 and due to it getting hot and my knees rubbing the frame it peeled off. Here are a few pictures of the All Plasti-Dipped RRW

Notice roughly where your legs would be the plasti-dip has worn away....

Also without putting a clear coat (plasti dip brand or other) the Plasti-Dip has a weird tacky finish.

I have Plasti-Dip on my car too. I have the roof, spoiler, front grill inserts and door handles painted black. Then I have my wheels painted black with 1 spoke on each wheel the BLAZE Blue that matches my calipers....

Heres a shot of the car....

Close Up on the wheel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts