Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
What type of bike are you going to turbo?? I have a turbo busa with close to 300 RWHP. Once you go turbo you'll never ride a NA bike again!! I really hope you saved up for a good lawyer!! There are allot of good turbo systems out there. I have always had good luck with Garrett systems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
^^ i agree, i used one in my 240sx before i sold it. outstanding performance and reliability. although i have not had experience with them on motorcycles, a good turbo is a good turbo. ricks uses a garrett based setup (t25) on the general lee.. outstanding results

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,433 Posts
Garrett turbos are above all reliable, I've rarely seen one blown. The only other turbo I can think of that shows the same reliability is the Mitsubishi 16G

·
Naked from the waste down
1,334 Posts
haelo said:
Garrett turbos are above all reliable, I've rarely seen one blown. The only other turbo I can think of that shows the same reliability is the Mitsubishi 16G

Most major brands of turbos are above exceptional. I wouldn't classify Garrett as the only "go to" manufacture out there.

I'd honestly say 99% of turbo failures are caused by User Error.

Oilling issues and foreign matter are always the problem, unless you're dealing with knock off turbos from China like most of the Ebay specials are. That's when bearing failure comes into play.

If any of you guys are looking at throwing a hair dryer on your bike, do your research and either build from scratch if you're knowledgable or buy a Mr. Turbo or Hanns kit.

Just my 2 cents.

How would I know much?
Forced induction cars and bikes has been a passion I had for years. I've build turbo Mustangs, DSM's (Eclipse, Talon, Laser) and even partnered with a friend years ago to make a 240SX w/ a Ford 302 and super charger. There's a lot to learn but it's really amazing to me.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Not to steal the OP's thunder. But has anyone thought about super charging a bike. A friend and I are considering buying a FI 600 just to supercharge it. We are thinking liter power in a 600 size would make for one hell of a ride.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,433 Posts
MC Express makes good turbo kits but I don't know if they make them for anything but busas.

I've built turbo gixxers, turbo busas, a turbo K1200R, and I've worked on turbo DSMs and Imprezas. I also owned a turbo Mustang Cobra :)
I used Mitsubishi 16Gs for all of the cars I turbocharged but never used one on a bike.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,433 Posts
ZZR808 said:
Not to steal the OP's thunder. But has anyone thought about super charging a bike. A friend and I are considering buying a FI 600 just to supercharge it. We are thinking liter power in a 600 size would make for one hell of a ride.

There are plenty of supercharged bikes.
Superchargers aren't usually as efficient as a turbo system. Modern turbos take care of the problems of old. Turbocharging a bike is a lot easier and almost always results in more power.

·
Wannabe
1,502 Posts
Haelo, what kind of increases were you getting when you turbocharged these bikes? And how much was it running your customers to get it done?

Did you have much trouble getting everything bolted together? Some of that piping seems awfully complex... and I bet that jetting afterwards was a bitch! Or did you have someone else do the tuning?

·
Hawk GT's are Cool
1,482 Posts
piping shouldnt be all that hard. You need a pipe from the exhaust to the turbo, then another from the turbo to the throttle bodies/carbs. Of course you can add an intercooler in the mix. Then all you need is more fuel. Its like any other project. There are the 3 big things then the 100 small things.

main differences between turbo/super. Super boost always on, but uses engine power. Turbo does not use engine power, but has lag (increase in power at a certain RPM)

I would say both affect realiability some, and personally i never made a setup due to lack of funds to do the motor modifications to feel comfortable with going forced induction to add in realiability

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,433 Posts
Sevulturus said:
Haelo, what kind of increases were you getting when you turbocharged these bikes? And how much was it running your customers to get it done?

Did you have much trouble getting everything bolted together? Some of that piping seems awfully complex... and I bet that jetting afterwards was a bitch! Or did you have someone else do the tuning?

The busas got 280-320 on mild kits and one of them got 440 (420 realistically, 440 was a very short peak) on a race kit (with the filter sticking out the side of the fairings). The K1200R got 240 on the custom system we built. Gixxers stayed around 210 hp (600s) and 260 hp (1000s).

Total cost for a kit was about $4000 parts (the complete kit) and charged $1000 labor flat. The custom kit for the K1200R was free but would have ran the same... parts were cheaper than a complete kit.

The normal issues with getting pipes bolted applied... a little bit with the rubber hammer, a lot of cursing. Building the custom set-up was surprisingly easy. We just had a steel manifold built from the stock pipes with a the turbo flange.

No jetting, all of them were EFI bikes, and I sent them to a tuner who charged about $600 for a complete Megasquirt tune. Megasquirt cost $300 from a guy who built them who I know online. I added $1000 to the final price for the tuning... gave the option of not tuning it though, only one GSX-R1000 owner opted out.

·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since I'm installing an 05 gsxr750 in my 99 600 I was looking way ahead of time:)
Right now I'm finishing of my new front end install as soon as thats done I'm mounting up a complete Gsxr750/ 05 swingarm with the rim,brakes and my new Fox shock:)
The reason I picked Rurbo reasearch was the kit they sell where U have to finish some stuff yourself.
Not a bad deal for a garrett urbo with the manifold a water and oil line kit. $1250 rocks
Mike

·
Naked from the waste down
1,334 Posts
haelo said:
The busas got 280-320 on mild kits and one of them got 440 (420 realistically, 440 was a very short peak) on a race kit (with the filter sticking out the side of the fairings). The K1200R got 240 on the custom system we built. Gixxers stayed around 210 hp (600s) and 260 hp (1000s).

Total cost for a kit was about $4000 parts (the complete kit) and charged $1000 labor flat. The custom kit for the K1200R was free but would have ran the same... parts were cheaper than a complete kit.

The normal issues with getting pipes bolted applied... a little bit with the rubber hammer, a lot of cursing. Building the custom set-up was surprisingly easy. We just had a steel manifold built from the stock pipes with a the turbo flange.

No jetting, all of them were EFI bikes, and I sent them to a tuner who charged about $600 for a complete Megasquirt tune. Megasquirt cost $300 from a guy who built them who I know online. I added $1000 to the final price for the tuning... gave the option of not tuning it though, only one GSX-R1000 owner opted out.
What's some of the dirt on the gsxr 600's?

What turbos, what A/Rs? What kind of CFM did you see from them?

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,433 Posts
GT25s on every bike. I never really paid attention to A/Rs on the turbos, at the time I didn't really know what it was.

·
205 Posts
sanitys said:
piping shouldnt be all that hard. You need a pipe from the exhaust to the turbo, then another from the turbo to the throttle bodies/carbs. Of course you can add an intercooler in the mix. Then all you need is more fuel. Its like any other project. There are the 3 big things then the 100 small things.

main differences between turbo/super. Super boost always on, but uses engine power. Turbo does not use engine power, but has lag (increase in power at a certain RPM)

I would say both affect realiability some, and personally i never made a setup due to lack of funds to do the motor modifications to feel comfortable with going forced induction to add in realiability
lag is not an increase in power at certain rpm lag is where you snap the throttle and it takes a second for the turbo to spin up making boost thus making hp, and with turbos today with varible veins there is almost no turbo lag

·
205 Posts
haelo said:
There are plenty of supercharged bikes.
Superchargers aren't usually as efficient as a turbo system. Modern turbos take care of the problems of old. Turbocharging a bike is a lot easier and almost always results in more power.
yeah there are allot of supercharged bikes but because the bikes use the torque of the engine to sping the supercharger and make boost they are onlly efficently installed on high torque bikes such as big inch v-twins like harleys and are not a good option for like gsxrs or cbrs or whatever 4cycl because those motors make little torque and are high revving and a supercharger makes boost at all rpm so there is instant throttle response but because of that they are not ridable in day to day situations and they cut the fuel milage down drasticly thus the reason to go with a turbo because a 600cc 4cyc sport bike dosen't really make power until about 6-7k rpm so having to wait till 6-7k rpm for the bike to make boost is not that bad a thing and it still gets just as good a gas milage as befoe when you are not making boost
:knucks:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts