Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
its still early and im tired but is that cracked and a piece missing?

·
QUESTIONABLE ENGINEERING
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nooo there's no piece missing. The light spot is where the turbine has rubbed off the carbon deposits on the cracking part. There is no sign of damage to the turbine, so I am guessing it happened very gradually.

My friend says this is typical for Mitsubishi T3's. I have a spare housing that I won't be able to grab till next weekend, but if this kind of cracking is typical then I am dreading my spare being cracked, as well. He said I could use this housing still, but I am concerned about it destroying the exhaust turbine!

·
Former bike builder
1,240 Posts
normal thing on too small Garrett and Mitsu turbos... Caused by too much heat and exhaust pressure...

Nothing to worry... Just check sometime that how bad it gets...

·
QUESTIONABLE ENGINEERING
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
normal thing on too small Garrett and Mitsu turbos... Caused by too much heat and exhaust pressure...

Nothing to worry... Just check sometime that how bad it gets...
Just the guy I was hoping to hear from!! I know Motohorho knows his turbos!! Rep sir. Thanks for the advice .. I might use it if the other one is worse .. the other one had more shaft play so I just assume it is generally in worse shape.

·
Former bike builder
1,240 Posts
On pics that really doesn't even look bad..
Crack only leaks little pressure and for that it needs to be real bad...

I would just leave it for now and later upgrade to better sized one.

·
QUESTIONABLE ENGINEERING
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would just leave it for now and later upgrade to better sized one.
Lol ... that is exactly what my friend said! But I had to tell him NO! This is for my daily driver '90 Saab 900 Turbo. After destroying two transmissions (one of them ate the case and could not be rebuilt) at 16-18 PSI, I decided I would stick to the stock boost and just go fast on the bikes ;)

·
Former bike builder
1,240 Posts
didn't say that you need to raise boost...
Just that those old Saab turbos are crap... They were in 1990 and they are now. Upgrade it to newer gt28 and it will be smoother on every rpm... (or even cheap china gt28 clone)

·
Former bike builder
1,240 Posts
t3 and t25 are little different. Gt28 has t25.
I had one clone gt28 few years ago... used it 2 summer and had over 300 on wheel. Replaced that on real gt28 and that made little difference. Nothing that was worth that extra 1000$.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts