Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I cant find anything like what I have in my head...

Take a bullet shaped glasspack muffler, cut the ends off, empty the guts, make 2 tube sheets with as many 3/8" holes as you can drill into it, now braze in 3/8" thin walled copper tube, tube sheet at each end, drill 2 holes into the 4" muffler case, on same side but at each end, weld on threaded bungs, insert tube sheet and weld into case, make sure its air tight, now weld on your bullet shaped ends and run along the lower frame "good for my trike as cornering ground clearance is no prob" and connect turbo and intake plenum........ now you can run ice water or CO2....... this would be a kick butt intercooler for my trike anyways.

Whats your thought ?

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
Maybe I missed something. How does it get air flow over it? What you described sounds, to me, more like a cold can. Like what the drag racers use to cool down intake fuel. The old coffee can with a wind of fuel line inside and you fill it with ice.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its inclosed and will most likly have CO2 plumbed into it, it will freeze all the 3/8" copper tubes so as the charge air goes into and out it to will be VERY cold. The CO2 will vent out of the other hole.. this would only be done at the drag strip when the boost is turned up past 10 psi.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah as on the street and 8-psi wont really need intercooling, but hit the drag strip and pump it up to 15-psi I would like to put the chill on it.... but I could run water in and out of it with a small finned cooler under the tail section and keep it cooler than the outside air anyway, thn at th strip use a cool can and run ice water ?

How hot does the intakes charge get with 15-psi anyway ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I actually read somewhere that while the style of coolers where you have some medium flowing through a radiator style unit is great, there is and improovement to it... external water. If you use a set-up that jets a mist of water on to the outside of the fins every so often it greatly improoves it's efficentcy. I really dont know if that helps any, it's just what popped in my head when i read this thread.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I dont know if the glasspack muffler is going to be very efficient at heat transfer. I mean, the walls of the muffler are pretty thick and its going to retain heat for a while. Id opt for an air-air w/CO2 sprayer so its frozen off the line and as soon as you get up to 50mph its going to be pretty cold

·
Registered
71 Posts
PWR makes good stuff. Im pretty sure they have full kits with the intercooler, water pump, radiator, reservoir, and lines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts