Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now the Turbo 14 Katana has been sold it's time to start what I have been waiting to do for a while, the Katana project was a happy accident really and wasn't my intended last build, after building a Supercharged Vmax some years back I've always wanted to revisit but use a Turbo instead, so now has come along the perfect bike for the job, caught this one while it was in the process of being stripped and sold off in parts so whats left it a running engine, 250 rear end and suspension and a few other minor bits n bobs.

So lets see what we can make of this little lot :)

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Awesome what year is the vmax

·
Registered
161 Posts
May interest you to get in touch with lee Mitchell of steelheart engineering Canterbury kent uk he does a fabulous frame for the v max with much better geometry so it handles and much lighter

·
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Blade I know Lee he's done a few jobs for me in the past :)

Well went to pick up the new project myself today, managed to squeeze it in the back of the car as you can see!! lol

Managed to unload it all, and then set to to putting it together to see whats there and whats not :) didn't come with a front end so stuck an old bandit 12 one in there for now just to roll it around on :)

Cheers

Steve

·
Too much is never enough!
2,466 Posts
That is one mean bike mate and that rear rim is absolutely beautiful!!! What brand is that?

·
Registered
41 Posts
the bike looks badass but im sorry this is probily stupid but that rear shock i dont get it, it looks like the swinger will be pulling it apart like on a buell but the shock you have looks like it is a compression type am i just missing somthing??

·
#114 CVMA/STTARS
3,743 Posts
the bike looks badass but im sorry this is probily stupid but that rear shock i dont get it, it looks like the swinger will be pulling it apart like on a buell but the shock you have looks like it is a compression type am i just missing somthing??

You can see the struts above the shock tying the swingarm to the cradle section on the frame. It's a slick setup. I zoomed in on one of his photos for ya. Not sure how well this would work but it does seem like the shock would be working in reverse. I thought it was a pro-link style setup but it doesn't appear to be

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
Springs can work in compression (squashing it) or tension (stretching it) depending on how you have everything setup. It doesn't really matter to the spring, as it's just going to eventually return to its natural state (or break).

This is just about the spring itself on the shock. There's a lot more going on at the suspension level that would determine how your shock is designed to work.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts