Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
nmangano2412
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone heard of a turbo going on an 1980 xs850, i was just thinking it could be really intresting. Now that my project is starting to come together i really want to consider this. However i wouldnt know where to start even. I know they make kits but do they have any for an old bike like this or would i have to heavily modify one?

·
UnicycleMode
7,580 Posts
This topic has been discussed to a great depth and it really comes down to what your planning on doing with the bike. A draw through system would suffice to make large numbers for drag racing purposes, and a blow through on properly setup carbs could yield daily rideable gains. Mainly, where does your budget stop? You can easily expect to be into it for thousands of dollars in a very short amount of time just purchasing all the needed hard parts for the setup.

From there you have to figure where your going to package it all into. What sort of ignition modification will it need, can you even find a boost retarding ignition compatible with a triple? I'm sure you can, but at what cost? Oil feed, from the block or a pump? Drain, do you need a scavenge pump or can you just dump it back into the oil pan?

From there, what is available for the clutch? It might handle the stock power, or a set of filters and a pipe, but what happens when you exceed the grip of those factory friction plates and need more holding power.

Not trying to shoot down your idea here, but you may be better off finding someone well versed in port work and opening up what you already have as you will surely spend much less to bore out your engine and open up the top end for some serious performance than if you were to try to turbocharge an already decent running engine. My personal take on it is that everything is better boosted, so to each their own. Just may not be worth the cost and trouble in the long run if something simple fails due to an overlooked shortcoming of your engine/transmission.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts