Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Courtesy of the generous and infamous Volvo-molester Danbuc I recently came into possession of this thing, and this is gonna be where I figure out what exactly I'm going to do with it.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

As it looked when I re-checked the straps after bajaing my way to the edge of the mean streets of Newburgh. Several of The Youth who were down at the boat ramp doing donuts were briefly made very anxious by this.

Shoe Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Fuel tank

I was gonna be that guy and ask around for tips on how to steal motorcycles but then I noticed the ignition lock on this just disassembles super easily, so that's nice.

I had to burglarize my way into the fuel tank and then later I locked myself out of the battery box by closing the seat and had to be very firm with that as well.

Had it firing and revving on one cylinder with some horrible stale fuel I had lying around and it vibrates so much the carbs flew off.

Black Automotive tire Bumper Gas Automotive design

Luckily I was able to catch them in this convenient tray

Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design

All the rubbers look great and even the carb boots on the airbox and head are uncracked and flexi, it was kinda surreal.

Some glop in the needle seats but no super hardened crap. I'm low-key expecting to to blaze to life in all its 78hp glory once these are cleaned up a bit more and shoved back on there. It was kind of a pain in the ass getting the carbs out and if the rubbers were even a wee dry rotted I expect they'd all be destroyed doing it.

Not sure about plans yet but you know, monoshock, artsy swingarm (only have to build one side, so sky's limit) chop the whole seat/suspension frame off the back of the hoops and thwack something a little simpler, cleaner, lighter and prob a lot higher up on there. Duckbutt fever

Wheel Plant Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've now put it much of the way back together and gotten it firing on all cylinders (partly through adding fresh fuel, partly through adding MORE fuel so it could really get above the reserve tap) and then of course after giving each tire a bit of a fondle and zip-tying the light back up (but with swanky SS ties this time; always leave things better than you found them
馃槆 also, it's clocked about 70 degrees off now 馃槒) I took it for a quick twist'n'squeeze around the block and back the way I came.

Nothing fell off, INCLUDING MYSELF, which is key. It tries to drive the inside bar through the tank at low speed-pretty well mannered down to a critical speed and then very suddenly tries to tuck in like mad. Riding position hurt my palms after a few bumps too; dirty bars in this thing's future if I keep it around. Shifts all five gears nicely.

I'm already thinking "this thing is mostly together and running and I could just title and run it" and then thinking "but I could cut the ass off, monoshock, build half a fancy looking swingarm (left side is all shaft drive) and put a nice tidy little tail on it"

I have probably almost enough parts rejected from other projects to cafeighter this thing up for almost 'free' - the reality is the bike cost me about $200 so far going to get it, etc.

Still, low cost summer ripper custom seems appealing.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to immediately overcomplicate things, does anyone know of a kawi shaft drive rear drive/hub from a bike with wire wheels? Or if there's other Kawi wheels that will match up with this drive unit, etc. I'll have to look into model specific forums and stuff later on, but I'd love to get to a 17" rear on this and a convenient way might be to lace a 17" supermoto rear rim or something to a suitable hub. I could get really ambitious, destroy this rear wheel and mount aluminum rings to the spoke stumps drilled for spokes or something like that.

I think you can convert these motors to sprocket without huge trouble, swapping regular KZ parts, but I haven't looked into it too much yet.

Super Moderator
Just to immediately overcomplicate things, does anyone know of a kawi shaft drive rear drive/hub from a bike with wire wheels? Or if there's other Kawi wheels that will match up with this drive unit, etc. I'll have to look into model specific forums and stuff later on, but I'd love to get to a 17" rear on this and a convenient way might be to lace a 17" supermoto rear rim or something to a suitable hub. I could get really ambitious, destroy this rear wheel and mount aluminum rings to the spoke stumps drilled for spokes or something like that.

I think you can convert these motors to sprocket without huge trouble, swapping regular KZ parts, but I haven't looked into it too much yet.
Not sure about compatible wheels but some of the newer cruisers have shaft drive and wire wheels. Vn800 and Vn1500/1600 comes to mind. Might even look into Meanstreak parts. It has aluminum 17鈥檚 front and rear. From what I鈥檝e found the rear is 5鈥 wide and gets you to a 170/60-17.

I have a 鈥83 Gpz750 engine sitting about that I took out of my resto-mod project. It鈥檇 be a drive for you as I don鈥檛 feel like shipping. Just a thought鈥.

Later, Doug

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure about compatible wheels but some of the newer cruisers have shaft drive and wire wheels. Vn800 and Vn1500/1600 comes to mind. Might even look into Meanstreak parts. It has aluminum 17鈥檚 front and rear. From what I鈥檝e found the rear is 5鈥 wide and gets you to a 170/60-17.

I have a 鈥83 Gpz750 engine sitting about that I took out of my resto-mod project. It鈥檇 be a drive for you as I don鈥檛 feel like shipping. Just a thought鈥.

Later, Doug
Yeah, I was looking at VN1500 rear end stuff last night. I have also seen some guys say that these motors can be converted over to chain drive with some KZ parts. I gotta pick your brain about H1 stuff at some point as well...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welp, dogs got in a bloody fight a couple weekends ago and then a few days after that I got sick for a few days and spent it drag-assing around the house so there hasn't been a lot of progress...

But last night I shifted my carcass out to the garage for an hour or so and started taking things apart.

Largely because I'm on mobile and don't feel like shuffling the images around, here's the pile of take-off stuff to date, minus the seat

Automotive tire Asphalt Motor vehicle Road surface Gas

Then, way out of order, a quick "before" walkaround

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
7" discs fit my 6" grinder fine, just have to be judicious until the guard fits over 'em.

Well damn, Cletus, do as I say and not as I do, we been over this three times today

As evidenced here I have both been hacking away physically at the swingarm and frame in a deplorably reductive way and holding up various pretty bits and mumbling while counting on fingers and toes and making arcane marks on bits of cardboard with the ceremonial sharpie, with breaks only to consult the ancients upon the mount

Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Crankset

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Fuel tank

Ordered some filters for later, and settled for a 160/60-16 because I'm not willing to fuck around with any of the options for fitting a wider wheel / 17 at the moment . Shinko SR881, lazy and didn't grab a pic but it looks OK and should squeak in. If not we'll just see about that won't we

Camera accessory Font Automotive wheel system Auto part Exercise equipment

Attachments

1 - 20 of 93 Posts