Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

481 - 500 of 525 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
The shape is coming along really well keep at it dude!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #482
The shape is coming along really well keep at it dude!
Thanks dude!

I've been gradually refining the shape and surface quality here and there not much to show. Thinking about taking the upright portion of the seat back a little bit more, not sure. It'll already be angled a bit more just not being on the rear stand so it'll probably be fine as is. I think it needs something at the front corners-naybe they're too sharp and need rounded off in one dimension or another. Always best to avoid too sharp an edge anyway when it comes to glass

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #483

Spent a couple hours scraping and filling and scraping and filling to get the surfaces pretty nice. I figure some filling and sanding in the fiberglass is inevitable, so my plan is to take care of it on the first layer, sanding and filling voids with chopped strand and resin. I'm thinking I will do three-ish layers of cloth - ish because with this complex a shape it'll be pieced together - and then reinforce from the inside with mat if I think it needs it anywhere.

Did some work on the forward sidepanel area as well - changing my mind about how to handle this area repeatedly of course. Refined some of the edges and smoothed the face of the concave seatback face into a sensible shape. Started making the horns match. Few hours of clay work away yet. I'm wondering if I can get something like gesso to stick to the clay long enough to glass over it or if I should tape or try to just glass right over the stuff. It's been hot as hell lately and the clay is pretty soft, + the heat of the curing resin is a concern. Might have to roll the bike into the AC in the living room or something to chill, then glass on the back porch maybe. We'll see. Feels like dealing with cookie dough bruh

I already, of course, have pie-in-the-sky plans for both refinements of this subframe/tail design and entirely different ideas I might noodle around with over the winter.

Edit: Literally none of those photos were the ones I meant to post but I also can't be fucked to see if they're dupes so here are the right ones.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #484
Looking at random misc crap for this and other projects and get side-tracked into looking at fancy/decorated valve stem caps and, well. Apparently this is a thing:

Edit: Amazon saw I was looking at bike stuff and suggested I might want me a set of THESE beauties. Fuck the knucks, guys - CF needs to switch over to GUN FOOTPEGS being our symbol

·
Super Moderator
5,588 Posts
Interesting. So it seems it is possible after all to have even less taste than tap water.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #487
Interesting. So it seems it is possible after all to have even less taste than tap water.
I looked at a couple reviews; most of them are people gushing about how many people complimented them, etc.

Then there was a guy who was bitching and pissing about how they didn't fit his bike and, he claimed, it cost him another $300 to have them "modified" to work on his particular Harley even though they were supposed to fit. $300??? Putting aside the fact that, DAMN, THEY SAW YOU COMING, you were so enamored of fake-gun-footpegs that you spent almost $600 all told on this?

I also like the review where the person talks about how they're slippery and basically fail to perform the function of footpegs but "they look so cool"

Dear reader, they do not.

Edit: on second thought, even if all I had to do was drill out the mounting holes or fit a bushing or something I'd want at least $300 just to have that junk in my shop. What if someone saw? :D

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #488
Meanwhile, back at the ranch

Went by the farm to cut some wood and drop some stuff off. My dad's TD1B is coming along pretty quick now. He's built the engine and is setting everything up on it according to his baseline settings as-raced back when.

Apparently this thing belonged to some Dupont relative the season before he and his guys acquired it. Pretty cool.

Oh, yeah, I brought home most of the Honda I was fucking with, the 900F. Frame, front end, rear wheel this trip. Have to spend a couple hours grabbing all the boxes of hardware and shit at some point, the motor, swingarm. Will have to find my old thread for that.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #489
K, tired of contemplating minor changes and smoothing shit. It's about as good as it's gonna get this time around, gonna slop shit on it here in the next few minutes and we'll see how hard it gets fucked up.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #490
Phone took a shitter when I opened my camera and it's charging so no pictures for a bit but I have a layer and a half or so on most of it. Looking decent so far.

Complex shape but the stuff conforms like hell if you do it right. I fingerfucked the shit out of it with rubber gloves to make sure it laid down into the corners and stuff, succeeded pretty well. Did my scraper routine where I could to remove as much excess resin as possible. Cautiously optimistic.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #492
Sliced open a couple of small voided areas and filled them with chopped strand/resin mix. Popped the muff down and outta there - resin didn't stick to the carbon at all. Trying to decide whether I want to do a 3rd layer before I pop this thing loose or not.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #493
Okay. 3+ layers on the tail and seat, overlapping to probably five layers in some of the transitional areas. The forward side panels are two layers because A) they won't be remotely structural and B) they'll get additional stiffness when they're finished from their shape.

I think that's it for glass at least until I pop this thing off and see about whether it needs reinforcement from the inside.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #494
Bruh. The desire to start peeling the thing off the tank so I can pop this thing loose is real. I wanna wait 'til midday tomorrow so I know it's for-reals cured in the heat. It was still gummy an hour or so ago.

Edit: K, went out there and it was hard enough to sand, so I did some rough cutting with 80 grit, some with a block and some freehand with paper and fingers. Shape is popping out of the jumble again, well pleased so far. Minor asymmetries but nothing that is driving me insane/can't be fixed at this stage.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #497
It's fair shed built when you have to periodically stop to work on the shed :rock:

Blew some filler primer over the outside of the fibgerglass so the surface will fully cure/as a guide coat, though most of the issues are quite visible without. I have to cut back the lower edges pretty severely towards the front for clearance and reshape them, because once some of the weak areas are reinforced the thing won't flex the way it would need to for the purpose of slipping into place.

Need to decide where I want the tail/seat to end and from where it'll be the side panel/tank skirt thing. Probably about where I end up having to trim the fucker back to. :p

Lots to chop off at both ends yet for that matter. Holding off up front because the more surface I have for registration of the thing's position while I'm fiddling with it the better. As I get ready to reinforce the inside I'm thinking I'll slice up some rubber to go over the subframe, and lay glass over that from the inside of the part to create nice positive, somewhat cushioned interfaces between the parts. Need to tape up the seat area and mark off, then lay glass over it for the beginnings of the seat pad base, too. Various little stuff like making either fibo or aluminum parts to keep the electrics from shifting around in the tray and also stuffing the tail light back in place and laying up the little bulkhead it'll need to bolt onto.

Also need to figure out the shape of the alu sheet piece I'm going to use as the sort of end-cap at the rear, have sketched some basic ideas but not sure yet there

And start getting on with wiring now that stuff is coming down to its final location. And make headlight mounts, front fender mounts, clock mounts (second or third time around for that on this one?)

Gotta order the CBR tail light unit I'll actually use since the one I have here has been rather bashed about in its various mockup and box-filling duties. Another $18 down the drain!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #499
Had to take a short tactical pause to fix some shit on the house before the freeze, but should be able to get back to plugging away at this thing shortly.

Fuck everyone else who ever worked on this place x_x

I should have put tape or gesso or something over the clay before I laid up glass, of course - going to have to bust my ass cleaning all the residue out, and the shit is stubborn as hell. Trying denatured alcohol and soap/water first

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,548 Posts
Getting fuckin cold for the shed these days!

481 - 500 of 525 Posts