Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

501 - 520 of 525 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #501
Getting fuckin cold for the shed these days!
Yeah I really need to bust out another thousand and insulate the place. I am going to try and he-man it with no insulation and an illegal barrel stove over the winter I think.

Finally pretty much done fixing up the back wall, got myself out to the shed for a few minutes and did some cutting on the fibbergibber. Liking where this is going much better already.

I really like the exposed subframe tubes. Maybe side panels like this that are made in one piece and fit between/under the tray and seat/cowl pieces?

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,548 Posts
making a boxed in tray to hide elecs/battery/whatever would look good there...i agree keep it behind the sub rails. Good shit, keep it up. and don't burn down your shed! lol.

I see a kawi dirtybike in there. I have a kx250f too. :metal:

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #503
Did a little trimming and sanded back some gross edges, blocked the thing roughly with 80 grit to see where it's super bad, and wire-wheeled the inside to get rid of clay/roughen it up for a layer of mat.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #504
Cut some mat and slathered it in there real good. Added some ounces there for sure but a fair chunk is going to be sliced back out. I painted the inside of the part with resin, then tamped the mat in there with the end of the brush and wetted it out. I came back and brushed a light coat of resin over it once it was mostly cured because I've found it helps make all the nubs and shit in mat easier to sand off cleanly later. In a couple hours (It's cold!) I'll go see if that's cured, maybe put it in the oven for 20 minutes to help it along.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #505
Cured up in the downstairs bathroom overnight. I like the smell of polyester resin so a joyous wake-up. slight warping has occurred - the tail end is out of plane with the seat by a couple degrees of twist, but in a direction that I think can be corrected easily onto the mounts. I believe my registration areas are robust enough to hold it straight during the remaining lay-ups and if not well I still have like four rolls of blue tape

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #506
I hot-glued a stir-stick to the end of the tail where the warping was and put some weight on it until it looked right to me down the line, then taped from under the electric tray to the edge of the seat pan around the sides and glassed the seat to the tray from the inside, nastily, with precut matting. After that cured I mixed up some more resin and finely chopped up some matting into it and did a couple rounds of filling small voids and joining up the tray inside and out where it was already very close, amounting to maybe 80% of the perimeter joined.

The only place it's not bonded quite nicely are the upper rear corners, where the shape of the tray allows for ventilation without much likelihood of water infiltration) The part is still pretty ugly but part of the point of doing chopped mat/resin glop fill is that soon I'll be able to sand and shape it all the way I want it, then rough up the first couple inches of the outer surface of the seat tray and do a couple layers of cloth on the outside with big overlap, which I'm hoping will add a ridiculous excess of strength and also blend everything together nicely.

Now primary registration of the part is accomplished through the tray's interface with the top of the subframe/back of the tank-which is 100% of the perimeter. It "clicks" on and off of the frame and is already more than strong enough to take my weight, even with the battery access opening gaping everywhere (and slicing into my ass cheeks. normally you have to pay extra for that)

The lowermost faces of the tail are going to get at least trimmed back a little bit, potentially cut back right to the corner and redone re their interface with the exhaust. I'm considering cutting the muffler down a couple three inches, not sure. I might hold off on that until later, when I've looked at making a nicer and more compactly-routed upper link pipe. I think I bought stainless bends to do that, like, two years ago... I finally have enough bike related shit that it's a pain in the ass to find anything, scattered across two sites forty minutes apart

I cut the aluminum piece previously used to mold the seat down until I could fit it over the seat, and the current plan is that it'll serve as the pan for the foam and vinyl to be bonded or riveted or whatever I end up doing. Looks like it'll be plenty secure if I do a fastener at the point of each 'ear' and the shape'll suck the edges down onto the fiberglass. Maybe figure out a clever way to do a recessed dzus on each side or something. Little aluminum cups that fit through holes in the alu and into sockets recessed into the fiberglass sounds like about the amount of misuse of machining resources I get up to

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #507

Hot glue is the best thing since COLD glue. Between hot glue, blue tape and black paint and cardboard you've got aproximately 80% of your fabrimacationing supplies covered

Looks nice enough. I'm ambivalent about this iteration by now, of course. Powering through to have something actually built. Looks too big. Of course, my ass is big and I don't really wanna look like Christ Farley on a pocket bike either

I can always cut it at the corner of the seat and tail forward bulkhead and make a new tail I guess. Also I could just cut this thing down and redo whatever needs done

Would've been thirty seconds at the belt grinder, but I find I enjoy file work on aluminum. Snips and half-round and flat files. Initially shrunk it by about 10mm from the ears around the back, then tuned in the back corners until they both cleared. As I suspected, one side is a little off-angle from the other - just a matter of a few mm over like 120mm or so but it tweaks me out. Might have to build up the one side a little and tweak it a bit closer, or try. Not thrilled about having weird varied thickness in the part but this bullshit is like working on an old house, everything is compromising with what's there and what you're adding. Lessons learned here and there for next time, of course. Might be interesting to do it with a bunch of layers of cloth, laminated to change the profile. The part's pretty stiff, as I intended, all around the seat/bulkhead area, so having some thicker area there just adds a few ounces, but I don't think it will markedly increase the stiffness. The bulkhead is already several layers thicker than the rest of the thing. I can still access the back if I wanted to remove material.

Anyway, my loose plan is to use the dense seat foam I've had for like three years to pad the metal pan out, sand down the edges to whatever profile looks cool, put some small rubber hose slit lengthwise around the edge of the metal and cover the lot with a piece of marine vinyl. Thinking i will pre-drill the metal around the edge so I can lace/sew the cover right through around the edge. Probably use black so no one can see my shitty work there. :D

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #508

Nothing much to report, some sanding, some filling. Waiting on hopefully the last (AKA like three to five more rounds of minor filling etc expected) round to cure now, check back on it in three hours or so. Not tooooo chilly but not warm.

Trimmed off the globby bits that glorped around the lower tubes since I didn't need them for registering the fucker anymore. Chopped them at an angle back from the point of the seat, didn't take a photo. I'll get one in a bit. Looks nice just the way it is, may still make a filler panel that is molded from the top of the muffler+heatshielding then trimmed and glassed in. If I want to put the fusebox or ECU in the seatback this would probably be best. The lower edges of the lower faces need straightening, and least on one side. Angles need checked with the muff installed, figuring for a bit of wiggle clearance.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #510
Sanded back (I did a quick coat of gray primer, then blew the OD stuff over it so I could find the low spots rullll quick) and found a few more voids, picked/cut them open and filled with the usual mixture... Need to remember to compare and match up the profiles of all edges in this next, hopefully last round of shaping type sanding. Hoping to have it in primer and mostly done with by this evening so I can turn my attention to next steps.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #511
I think I'm now really on the last round - there was a final bubble last round that I had already fixed but the fix also had a bubble in it, somehow... refixed the fix, waiting for it to cure. Then primer, only to find more horrors. :D

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #512
Started on the side panels today, and I've already begun and pitched out one concept/attempt - on to plan B, post-sandwich. Looking like I'm going to remove some material from the parts of the seat I just spent a bunch of time finishing - of course. :D

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #513
Told lies, got distracted and worked on the seat instead.

Self-tapping screws for now, but I'll do threaded inserts and buttonheads or something for the final hardware. The rearmost screws go through the seat unit and into the subframe tubes, so there's retention. Will probably have another fastener or two from the inside near the front, going into a bracket from the tank mount. (for physically helping to keep the thing on the bike)

Looks nice, I'm happy. Now, back to side panels... cardboard template time.

And yeah I sat on it

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #514

Riveted/bonded the cutout from the battery opening to the bottom of the aluminum, really stiffened it up in the critical areas.

Looks cool, too bad it'll be under the foam. Had a sit on the thing with the foam I'm planning to use sitting on top, should be comfy enough.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #515

Rolled her outside for some photos (and also so I could clean up the shop a bit)

Didn't get a ton done over the last couple days - taped some foam around the muffler and pulled this halfpipe off it-this will get trimmed up and then glassed into the underside of the tail for the muffler to live in. Foam provided space for heatshielding, whatever that ends up looking like. GOLD FOIL

Also cut out and started shaping the foam. Neoprene is cool stuff. Sands with medium grit belt sander pretty nicely. This piece came with adhesive on it, but it was weird - like a piece of a wax paper with glue on both sides stuck to the thing, with an additional cover sheet to be peeled off before use. This stuff must have gone off from the heat or cold while the stuff was sitting cuz it was a hopeless mess when I tried it. Pain in the ass scraping all the paper and old adhesive off but got that done before I hung it up for the day. Tomorrow I'll revisit sticking the foam to the aluminum - see how Super 77 works.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #516

Got some 1/16" (This refers to the thickness of material it's meant to slide over, this stuff is 10mm wide and maybe 6mm thick across the widest cross section) edging, the kind with the little lips inside that pretty affirmatively hold it in place. It goes over the bare aluminum no problem, goes around all the corners no problem. Slight, slight lifting going around the corners at the 'nose' but only comes up a tiny bit, not noticable. If I fold a piece of the marine vinyl I've been planning to use to cover my seat over the edge of the aluminum, the edging takes a lot of force but goes over the whole thing - two layers of the vinyl with the aluminum edge between - and locks the vinyl in place. Time will tell but I'm hopeful I can actually use the edging to retain the upholstery. I carefully broke the edges on the aluminum and lightly rounded it with sandpaper and files, but when the edging crimps the vinyl in place it locks in over the edge. I was able to tug on my test piece as hard as I could without pulling it loose or cutting into the material. This would be awesome because I was coming up blank on how I would keep the vinyl in place without running visible fasteners.

The edging will also keep the parts from galling together and cover any slight differences in clearance between the fiberglass and the seat edge. In fact I think I'll be able to have one dzus fastener in the middle up front and one low down on the point of each 'ear' rather than doing the six I have now - contemplating making little aluminum buckets on the lathe to accommodate these. Might be trick, might be three hours of work for nothing. #fightlife

Either that or some little machined aluminum bits for allen screws or something to pass through. Something other than a nasty screw sitting in a twist of vinyl, leave it at that

Very hopefully this will work, or work in addition to loading the edging with E6000 or something before I install it. Stoked!

Another year older as of yesterday, go me.

Oh yeah, if I use this neoprene stuff in the future I'm gonna make the ass-cup section of the seat much flatter, because at this thickness the stuff doesn't much like to go around curves. I'm thinking I may try making one or more relief cuts in the back of the material with the hot wire, or or use some different foam that I have to build out a shoulder and flatten the radius that the neoprene has to bend over.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,548 Posts
Happy Birthday Masshole!

Also...what's your feelings on dirtbars? :fire:

Reactions: TURNIP

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #519
Cheers gents

Re dirty bars, I've been sorta planning on it for a while but haven't gotten to it. Will need a different or custom upper triple, the '05 636 one I'm using is too pretty and hollow to trust with riser blocks and holes etc. Already has openings for style and the back is honeycombed. Will need brake lines and to extend wiring for the bar controls, but the throttle cable is already conveniently too long. :D

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #520

it's bleedin cold out, so natch, time to bring the workshop stuff into my wife's kitchen. Sticking bits of a previously deployed, military-grade-fart-filled isomat onto the pan to build out the shoulders of the seat a bit.

Bit of hot wire slicing and melting followed up with some scrubbing with the handheld belt sander.

Using Super 77 to stick stuff on - it's working okay, with the usual "Spray on, let flash off, put together, watch peel off and re-apply several times before it finally holds" effect. I may peel all this off and start fresh, got tons and tons of foam left and it may be better if I heatgun a couple of layers, then bend and laminate, apply and trim/shape from there rather than try to adhere a second layer to what I have here. Needs a little more height at the widest point.

501 - 520 of 525 Posts