Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so how many distinct types of fighter sre there?

off the top of my head

german style (tail up)
british style (mostly pointy tails)
american stunt/fighter (12 bar, engine cage)
supermoto (dirt bike based)
and the musclecruiser/fighter (vmax style)

I've been noticing the americans like the abreviated tails with flat black paint.
the brits tend towards the pointy tailed fighters with gloss paint.
and the germans generally don't give a fuck as long as its tail is pointed skyward and there is beer close at hand.

I am aware that these are sweeping generalizations, but tell me what you think.

I think the americans are comin around (slowly) with this fighter thing and are developong a bit of there own style. even if its all borrowed from the europeans in some way, shape, or form.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You forgot the cheap unimaginative fighters that exist in all nations.
You know the ones with broken fairings and the guy says ' I will fighter it' and sticks on flat bars and bug eyes.
We have probably all done this or at least know someone who has.
My intention here is not to 'dis' but to congratulate these people on the 1st step to fighter syndrome. When they get another bike and build a fighter they will do it differently. And there we have the beginning of fighter evolution. :party-smiley:

You have the main styles there but there are sub categories. Like low budget and infinite budget. Pro built or shed/yard built. Then there are themes like retro, futuristic, fantasy, organic. If that’s not enough we have the bling bling, full works of art, rats, aggressive full power scary shit mental bikes with 300bhp+ :rock: (if only)

The great thing about fighters is the owners/builders unique approach to the whole design. Having an image in your head and then making it is a great feeling.
Albeit not to everyone’s taste, my fighter looks they way it does because it's the way I saw it. I have used both Euro and Brit influences to flow design of the face with the rest of the lines on the bike. My sub styles were based on aggressive organic. My intention was to create some kind of sleek dragon like fighter. Why? You might ask. The answer is because that’s what I wanted to do. Have I achieved it? I think so, at least in my eye.
I understand the difficulties in building these machines and I did not find it easy doing mine that is for sure. But I have found that the main trick is to get every part of the design to flow with one another. The idea being that no one part of the bike stands out. This makes it look right to the eye of the person looking at it, even if they do not no why.
HOW do you do this?
The best way is to step back from the bike and have a look at the shapes and lines of the base you are using, be it a kwak or suzzi. Like lines on the engine, the frame and forks. Look at the line/shape of the tank and the seat unit you are using. Once you have an idea of the panels that are going on, be they from another bike or hybrids to one offs that have been made, look at the contours and see if they can be accentuated in the other panels to continue the flow.
In my case, I searched the net for headlight ideas for the theme I had in mind and found the 666 to be the one for me. So I bought it (and in true fighter style) modified the brows and the cheeks, built a speedo screen and finishing cover for behind the lamps.
I then did my best to use the influence of the shapes of the headlight to create the rest of the bodywork. The center lines of the bike seemed important to me so I made a center line in the tank and followed it through to the rear seat hump and to a focus point in the tail (the Brit style) In fact nearly all the lines on the bike flow to or from this focus point.
Have a look at the pic below of my bike in the early days as it was going together.
RED lines are the outside of the bike. The tail as you can see is higher than the tank and the tank is a bit higher than the head. This gives the bike an aggressive stance. Kind of like it is always ready to pounce.
TOP GREEN line goes from the tip of the tail through the subframe and meets the base of the forks. So from one point it flows to another. The subframe was purposely raised to this angle.
BOTTOM GREEN line again goes from the tip of the tail down through the lower subframe rail and disappears into the ground. It did however give me a line to work the front of the belly pan to.
BLUE LINE again from the tail through the line of the head/block casings of the engine and gave me a line to finish the front fender to.
PINK LINE goes from the front tip of the belly pan to the front line of the engine but continues through the bike and gave me a max height for the seat hump.

So that is how I put mine together using 2 distinct styles. And ALWAYS remember that each bike out there in all the different styles has had a shit load of work put into it and respect is due for that even if the finished article is not to your own personal taste.
Big thanks for making this far in such a long winded post.

Attachments

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I try to ignore the french as they tend to get on my nerves

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
I'd like to see our own type of fighters, something uniquely north american (to include our Canadian brothers out there). Its hard to say what the American "type" fighter is, I don't think we really have our own style yet. I'd love to start to form one though... I think cammy9r has some good points though on the organic, aggresive, ect styles. Those sum things up pretty well.

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the north americans are pretty much laying claim to the abreviated tail and flat black look. about 60% of the fighters I see that come from north america are flat black. not that thats a bad thing.... I like it.

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
fslflint said:
I think the north americans are pretty much laying claim to the abreviated tail and flat black look. about 60% of the fighters I see that come from north america are flat black. not that thats a bad thing.... I like it.
And a LOT of the fighters in America are stunt bikes, so you see a lot of 12-bars and crash cages too! :smiliebiker:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,713 Posts
great thread. and responses! :cfrocks:

i am hoping that we the people of CUSTOMFIGHTERS.com are going to be the ones who define the american style, so everyone else knows what were about!

and with how many fighters we're building this winter, we just may be able to!

·
929_adam said:
i am hoping that we the people of CUSTOMFIGHTERS.com are going to be the ones who define the american style, so everyone else knows what were about! !
We do generally, but this is top result that you get if you key in the search phrase "Definitive USA Streetfighter" to your own fave search machine... Google is currently:

http://news.motorcycle.com/article.motml?sid=4400&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Here is a quote lifted from the page above:

....."Buell Motorcycle Company, a subsidiary of Harley-Davidson, Inc., produces sport motorcycles, motorcycle parts, accessories and apparel. To learn more about Buell motorcycles, visit your local Buell dealer today and experience the pure streetfighter attitude, style and performance only found on board a Buell. Pull into www.buell.com for the Buell dealer nearest you"....

This is no slight on you Trans-Atlantic dudes...I think the Buell concept is fkn great, also I know that if anybody wants to see the best presented pimpin' of any stock shit in the world..well 9 outta 10 puppies who express a preference will be looking to the USA for inspiration.

But then again I'll risk a ball stompin' from yous because from personal taste mebbe like Eric Buell hisself, I know if you are a real world rider you will know the secrets of V twin supremacy.

B.T.W. Cammy9R the Jock has put together a stunnin' display and it looks like a very pro way of presenting your fighter...fuck me gently, if my tool box looked like the wall full at his place I think I would have been comin' around from a ****** on the floor of B+Q..

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
No offence meant, but the whole stuntbike concept leans more towards the ratbike side of things. Now granted we've all ridden a rat bike at some point, I'm convinced that most fighters go through a ratbike stage. But the stunter idea seems to be more "make it so I can abuse it but keep it ridable" I dunno, I just really hope the stuntbike is not what ends up defining American streetfighters.

Again, no offence meant to stunters out there, everybody has their bike for a purpose, and all those purposes are different. I respect that. It just rubs me wrong to see a bike lying on its side in a parking lot or leaned up against a curb because the rider cant be troubled to even keep a kickstand on the bike.

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just to make a quick point. as far as I'm concerned, factories don't make fighters. so the buell isn't a fighter, its a nice bike that I admire allot. but not a fighter.

I agree that I hope the american style stuntfighter doesn't define american fighters. cuz for the most part they are ugly.

but aint nuthin wronge with a little rat influence. thats where we get flat black from.

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
Best of both worlds :D
I think the mods are the key, be they astetic, performance, handleing. Most important thing to me is Some specific direction with the mods all out for a purpose I think after that it's all in the eye of the beholder ??????? I myself think a well done stunt bike is a thing of beauty :wtf:

I think my stuntfighter will look tough, but yes I'm going to destroy it in the summer :ninja:

I do get what you guys are saying.......just wanted to post up in this thread ......:mk: :D

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,713 Posts
let me tell you...i've seen some NICE stunt fighters...and that my friends is a thing of beauty!

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
+1 what flint said, streetfighters don't come from factories. It kinda ticks me off when a company advertises a bike as such. I saw the naked FZ1 (w/out the nose fairing) model advertized as the perfect streetfighter on yamahas website. Boy did that irk me

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I said "for the most part" they are ugly. I have seen some very nice stunt-fighters. but most of them look really shitty.

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
so with all the types of street fighters, what actually makes a streetfighter. is it the way the guy from streetfighters usa told it " streetfighters are bikes with upgraded parts for power and structural integrity" if that is true then rat bikes and purty french bikes lol are not considered street fighters at all ?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.