Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

I have a teapot rat with a 4.5" rear wheel which needs a new tyre..something semi knobbly like a Mitas E-07 or Heidenau Scout 60, chunky but not full on knobbly.

The problem is that the ideal width of tyre for the rim is 160, which it has on at the moment (Avon Distanzia), but of the tyres mentioned above they are either 150 or if I'm lucky a 170. A 170 will be too wide for my swing arms acording to the data sheets.
The maximum width rim for a Scout 60 of size 150/70 -17 is 4.5" but I have been told by various peeps online that a tyre this size is too narrow for the 4.5" rim.

Any opinions anyone? Please bear in mind I am new to bike tyres !! Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
740 Posts
There's a lot of wiggle room especially in dirt tires, manufacturers also seem to play with the sizes a lot... A 120/90 in one brand (say Dunlop) fits like a 140/80 in another (michelin), even though they measure within a few mm of each other.

If you start pushing the extremes of tire/rim size the time's profile will change and can affect handling feel but unless you're going wildly outside the designed width I wouldn't consider it dangerous.

A 150 width will be just fine on an OEM 160mm rim. I'd be surprised if the 170 wouldn't fit in the swingarm, it's only a few mm on each side. Most OEM don't cut things that tight to account for variation in tire size between brands, which can be fairly significant.

·
Registered
388 Posts
RaZed makes a good point. Imight add that too skinny works better than too wide...

Jon

·
The friendly Ghost.
13,172 Posts
I run a 4.5" rim on the SV650 with 150 section tires for the dirt. There are no issues with running the narrower tires and it is typically used by racers to increase turn in on the SV650s. (Specifically TKC80 in 150/70B17 for my dirt set up.)

The way I have seen it happen efficiently is 130 for 3.5", 140/150 for 4" and 150/160 for 4.5". I don't deal in those larger rims those sportbike riders use... (Most of my experience is with XJ600, FZR600, Bandit 600 and SV650 rear rims. I am trying to branch out a little though.)

I will have to look into the K60s in 17s for the SV after I finish off these TKC80s... (Once I get the front mounted.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone, it's good to have the opinions of proper bikers :)

One other thing, in the UK are there any tyres available apart from the Scout K60 and Mitas E-07 that have a chunky tread with squarish edges ? I don't really want to go for a full knobbly tyre due to the risk of vibration or very poor handling. I've found some others but they aren't available in a big enough size and another one which is only available in the the US !!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts