Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
50,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone found any real good tyre irons that actuly work well and dont munch up yer fookin nice rims!

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts

·
Premium Member
50,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks lads ,I had looked at these and now withya reckemondation Im goin ta gettem !

·
105 Posts
I could scratch my wheels with Nerf tire irons. I use the old style short ones, I've probably got about 8 of them laying around, or people borrowed them and haven't returned them, I have a set with the handles, they are fairly short and work OK, and I have one of those long curved ones also, but i'm afraid to break a wheel, by being too gorilla on them. I change a lot of tires, always by hand, I've scratched my wheels, but have never broken one. On friend did break one of his though.

I take small bites. It should take a whole lot of gorilla to get them off, just keep the opposite side down in the groove as far as you can. I break the beads with a short 4x4 and a long 4x4 or 2x4, and lever down against the bumper of my truck. Next time I do it, I'll make a video or post some pictures of it, it sounds more complicated than it is.

·
breaking stuff since 1978
1,530 Posts
like this??

·
1,530 Posts
or have a look at this guys bead breaker at 1.30. he also uses the rim protectors as well

·
Mad Sconnie
2,602 Posts
I just used a pair of cheap tire irons that LRC131 picked up at Harbor Freight, then used some HDPE sheet pieces (I think I used cut up milk jugs) in between the irons and the rim. No scratches at all.

I also use the 2x4 and car method to break the beads.

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
I USE THE MOOSE TIRE IRONS IF I HAVE TO. BUT NORMALLY I HAVE ACCESS TO A SWEET MACHINE THATS KING

Reactions: oldrider and ROBBO

·
Premium Member
50,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reckon I will brake tha bead by nippin tha tyre between tha cheeks of me arse and aplyin a pincher move !( no pics avalable lads)

·
I love lamps
4,113 Posts
The first link in this thread works as a bead breaker also.

I have the motion pro set with that 16", a 12 and an 8. Works great, but will still screw up painted wheels. never tried it on powercoated / oem coated wheels.

I ended up mounting tires without popping the beads, then masking off the tires and painting the wheel, then popping the beads. Worked awesome if you're going to be painting your wheels.

Rob make sure you have a valve core tool. Breaking/popping a bead is near impossible with the core still in place.

Reactions: brockzila

·
I love lamps
4,113 Posts
no vibrations between 0 and 120 mph

Reactions: gsf1200R

·
1,530 Posts
umasking off the tires and painting the wheel, then popping the beads. Worked awesome if you're going to be painting your wheels.

Rob make sure you have a valve core tool. Breaking/popping a bead is near impossible with the core still in place.
+1 on this thats how i did my rear as well got the shop to fit the tyre then took it back to work and painted the rim and popped the bead, done, worked well

·
Premium Member
50,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Orderd some yesterday,used ta do tha ols steel rims all tha time but then we hadda local shop do tha ally ones when they started ta appear onevry bike ..Jus dont wanna fork out $50 ta getta tyre changed fer sure!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts