Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Looking for some new tyres, and some of your input would be nice to which is which.
At the moment I'm using Bridgestone Battleaxe BT016. They are a good tyre, gives good grip but they do pickup any grooves etc in the road, which make the bike feel a bit unstable at Speedo.
So what are your experience with different tyres with grip and road handling with and life of the tyre?

Of course I could just keep trying different tyres but that could take years and or be expensive.

Just so you know size, rear 180/55/17 front 120/70/17

Thanks

·
Is my bike ok?
15,255 Posts
BT016 doesn't have a central rib on the front tire, but the same tread pattern as a Conti Motion. Juuuust enough overlap in the center to shed water. My FZ07 had bar shaking issues with that tire. I try to avoid that tread pattern that lightly criss crosses the tread over the center. I think bikes that have a lot of fork pressure will "hunt" on that cross crossing tread and pick up a wiggle.

I've used a bunch of different tires, thing is the different models get changed or dropped through the years. And some bikes just work better on different tires. Was a big Michelin pilot power fan, but my new bike handles a touch vague on them, so rocking pirellis now.

For just needing cheap tires that will grip, Conti motions. Sticky like fly paper and turn in fast, but I could ought only get about 1600 miles out of a rear. Great tire if you're just planning to burn it up playing anyway. Front end wiggle wasn't horrible. Only shook it's head if I had both hands off the bar.

For cheap that will last, Shinko Raven 009. Ride quality is superb, but they're heavy and turn in a little slow. You don't really notice, but it's there. They last well but warm up slow and don't like sudden throttle inputs. Run lower pressure then normal to improve warmup and grip, the rubber is hard enough to take it as still last pretty good. Good tires if you've got a trip or lots of commuting coming up and you don't need every ounce of performance.

Michelin Road tires are overrated IMO. Supposed to last forever and get great grip on the rain. Meh. For a $250 rear tire it's not worth it. Lasted no longer than a pilot power 2ct and wet traction was about equal. I can burn up two sticky tires for the same price and not have the ass end stepping out in corners.

Dunlop Sportmax 300 tires are shit. They never grip, but they hold up due to a durable compound, right? Nope, they're just shit. Cruiser profile on a sport bike tire. WTF you thinking Dunlop? Does not want to turn, never finds grip anywhere and burned off in 1500 miles. Literally no reason to exist. Haven't yet owned any Dunlop tire I liked.

My current go to's are pilot power 2ct and Bridgestone S22's. Starting to play with some pirellis and really liking them. Limited experience though. Just mounted a Diablo ( just a Diablo, think that model was discontinued several years ago) and it rocks. 1,000 miles and still looks new. I usually get 2000-2200 miles from a rear. Even the retarded throttle of a first gen FZ 09 can't step out the ass, it just grips. Tread is deep and wide. Soaks up loose gravel and rain well. It's does all the thing a Michelin Road claims to do, but it's cheap. I'm a fan. Think I paid $85 or 95 for a 180/55.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
yeah im a fan of the powers.. the pirellis are on a different level tho.. iuve run them a couple times.. i want to say they were more confidence inspiring then the pp's.. but they cost more and wear out a bit faster

·
walkrndwtwood
V-4
1,053 Posts
Dunlop, only dunlop. You never said what yer bike is. I use dunlops for decades. Tried others, but keep going back to them. I have stacks purchased during cold months so i'm ready for summer. I rode bt016... never again. Roadsmart sportmax lll and newer you can't go wrong. Confidence, longevity, and still shred the days away. They last longer than the Q series by 5,000 miles. ALWAYS CHECK YOUR PRODUCTION DATES ON YOUR TIRES WHEN THEY ARRIVE!!! I cannot stress this enough.

Reactions: Scat6

·
Is my bike ok?
15,255 Posts
You're saying you got OVER 5,000 miles on a Dunlop Sportmax ? What bike? I've been surprised to find that different bikes act totally different on the same tires.

My FZ 09 hated them so bad I couldn't keep up with a buddy on a W800. I caught so much shit 😂 The ass end just wouldn't stay under the bike. Rear locked up very easy under braking. Extremely short lived, had a cord showing at 1600 miles, so the agony didn't last long. Part of the short life probably due to the rear spinning up trying to full throttle in a straight line. First time I could ever do a rolling burnout without trying 😁

·
walkrndwtwood
V-4
1,053 Posts
First off, 5,000 more miles. I consistently get around 10,000 miles out of a set (i was testing for a couple years). Albeit that was through the second set of cords, they still made it🤭😉 When roadsmarts came out as the replacement for the d220, i was hesitant. Go with what you know, so i started looking around. For several years, i had near misses on shit tires, that once they stepped out under load, i raced home and yanked them off. I have to be honest, there are A LOT OF THEM. I'm not a sponsored rider, nor am i a dunlop employee. I've been riding long enough to realize my life is important, therefore i use the best tire brand that keeps me rubberside down. Dunlop are, and have been, that brand. I have shared that thought with everyone I ride with, and they've all come to the Dunlop side. My personal garage has multiple bikes all outfitted with dunlops. From the v4's, v2's to inlines, it is just a standard.

·
walkrndwtwood
V-4
1,053 Posts
^^^^Thats funny! I rode an old oil boiler for a long time, used the d220 on that as well. Confidence with the sportmax roadsmarts is truly an understatement!

BT016 have no business being on the road IMHO. They are way to soft for anything. I tried them, wore them out in a week🤦🏻‍♂️. I also used a set on the track. Second session they were slick. No tire warmers either. Maybe they'd stick with tire warmers, but I highly doubt it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've done less than 800 miles on them and the rear has a flat spot and is getting low.
I'm going to charge them soon but I don't want to spend £££ on new tyres and find they don't suit the bike, I may just get some part worn tyres till I find a set that work with the bike, then get a new set.
Be cheeper that way.

·
11,387 Posts
my Suzuki has Michelin Pilot power, never had an issue, the last 1216 oil boiler I built was on Metzler Racetech done IoM on both , i've stuck Pirelli Diablo on loads of bikes , really like them . My friends have a bike shop , i just buy whatever their supplier has on offer ...within reason

·
walkrndwtwood
V-4
1,053 Posts
@Scat6 part worn... i get it but you want confidence while riding. The thought process doesn't mesh. You waste effort on 1/2 life stuff. Pilot powers are mediocre tires(sorry yantosh no disrespect) i've ridden them and between them and others, there are several I would combine different aspects of the tires to create one. The height of the powers is the only thing i like.
I guess the real question is what can you afford?
check out this item # on ebay from capitolcycle

·
BLACK BELT
7,383 Posts
Favorite tire opinions are just like favorite engine oil opinions.

Everyone has a different experience, depending on bike & mods, riding style, location & weather, etc., etc.

I'm pretty lucky when it comes to tires. Hardly rains here in SoCal, and I can afford new tires, even with short life. I like to ride every day, but almost never do high mileage.

I always get the softest, sticky tires I can fit. Not slicks, though. I don't ride crazy when it does rain, so it's been all good.

Guess I don't have much to offer.

·
walkrndwtwood
V-4
1,053 Posts
@Smoker i have ntecs for the track, and rains as well. The sportmax can handle the heat and the cold. And you should only use what i tell you. 🤭

·
11,387 Posts
@Scat6 part worn... i get it but you want confidence while riding. The thought process doesn't mesh. You waste effort on 1/2 life stuff. Pilot powers are mediocre tires(sorry yantosh no disrespect) i've ridden them and between them and others, there are several I would combine different aspects of the tires to create one. The height of the powers is the only thing i like.
I guess the real question is what can you afford?
check out this item # on ebay from capitolcycle

[/URL]
i'm not fast enough to push tyres any where near their limits, for years i rode part worns and puncture repaired tyres i blagged from shop ;)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The rate some people change their tyres ever they don't like them or other. You can get some good part worn tyres with very little wear and are much cheaper than paying £200 for a set.
The hard thing with getting tyres that suit your bike, is 1. They are not cheep. 2. What works well with one bike may not work with another, and 3. All the wright ups are all the same. Lol

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is why I asked the question.
Like I said, all the bumf say the same thing, long life, good grip in the wet, great grip in the dry and so on.
So always good to get real life replys.

·
walkrndwtwood
V-4
1,053 Posts
So as per real life replies. I've ridden the aforementioned tires for years. Wet, dry, sunny rainy, and snow. They are a great all around tire.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts