Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dad and wife got me a cool bike for christmas (best.gift.ever)

Its a 1972 cb750k supposedly with high comp 836cc
Its running rough oil fouling plugs and i think the timing needs advanced a hair

Future plans are
-electronic ignition
-retune carbs (piss poor low end/ off idle)
-re gear (way too tall)
-raise up the suspension
-replace the hard strut ("monoshock") with some progessive twin shocks
- tlr swingarm
-replace side covers and tail and possibly change color?

-need to investigate the big bore claim (i have a feeling thats not true) as it also needs a head gasket and valves adjusted maybe seals too.

Trying to take baby steps so i dont de-commission it for too long. Should be fun:fu:

http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/J...15_zpsnea6nawb.jpg.html?src=pb&fb_ref=Default

·
BoObieS
40 Posts
I'm a little partial to a 750K with USDs... love seeing threads on these bikes.

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
Glad to see it ended up in your hands, excited to see what comes of it, some tasty twin shocks with actual suspension travel will look sweet.

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats just plain unlucky with the cables...dried cables being stood has happened to me many times!

bike looks cool even with the big tank dent :)
not a huge fan of it, but those are relief pockets for the forks

I just found an OEM 550f cable that's exact size in my stash :rock:

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
GS tanks have a neat little flange at the front that allows you to effectively scoot the tank back, while still hiding the neck. They're also pretty wide. Exactly the same width as the engine. That's what I put on my 76F and the GSXR forks cleared well with minimal steering travel loss. But I don't recommend them on these particular chassis'. I can elaborate if you want, but I know you know what's up, so I won't derail too much. Just wanted to mention that about the tank. Carry on...

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
What about a F tank off of a DOHC? It's about the same size but as a narrower profile up front that should clear your USDs. I don't have any issues with clearance on mine

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
got the cable on and started it cold. Has some valve adjustment needed and some hotter plugs, also need to adjust the idle air screws a bit. Otherwise i'm pleased... for now. Still doesn't seem to have the power on the low end. I've heard the .370 Valve Lift and 282° Duration cam from web works well with the 836 kit but i'm still not convinced this is an overbored engine yet.

http://vid1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah144/Justin_Clements/IMG_00941_zpsujm0kcak.mp4

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
Have you done a compression check on it....?
That might tell you if you need to go deeper into it...or give an idea if it does have bigger/higher comp pistons

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ive only had a few 1/2 hour blocks to work on it. I wanted to see if the digital ignition and new advancer helped. It did a little. But its in need of a new head gasket and studs anyway. Im not discounting the cases havent been split it looks like a fresh bead of hondabond, but its not half as fast as i got my Kz650

Ive seen other cb836 and they can break the rear tire easy. Almost certain the valves are adjusted wrong as well but i cant seem to find my offset wrench to fit

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
1 - 20 of 126 Posts