1 - 20 of 327 Posts

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to make a thread for my build -

Recap -

Build plan:

haha, there isn't one. I work best organically and am just gonna go with the flow. Currently just searching around to see what I like and try and form some sort of direction. More importantly I am trying to do a little research as to what swing arms, and forks I can swap with relative ease. Probably Gonna leave the motor alone for now though. One thing I definately want to do is totally redo the brakes, but that will be dictated by the wheels, forks and swing arms I decide to do, if any, like I said, no plan. LOL.

Here's the bike when I bought it:

This is after some mods (better, but just not what I am looking for)

This it's current state:

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Made some progess... Really about all I can do until I figure out what they hell I want to do.

This is me playing around, trying to decide what to do with the sub frame, and whether to keep the battery where it is, as well as whether to use the stock tank and seat. Still undecided.

And yes, that chain is just as bad as it looks. Worse, perhaps.

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
i dont think ugly betty is all that ugly...nice Kan-o-Tuna... sweet bike indeed

·
est.1979
858 Posts
ohh...I think she would look pretty with a 1127!

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ohh...I think she would look pretty with a 1127!
Ironically, I've been looking for an oil boiler 11, or b12, but having no luck finding one at a price I'm ok with. I'd prefer a b12, more low end grunt, and a power band that is more my style, mid range, I don't redline 6th all that often, so it's not a biggie if I don't have that top end of a GSXR.

·
Will touch your privates
27 Posts
I'm building a Katana too, I just stripped mine. I will start adding pics once some real wotk is done... Keep plugging away. Turn that thing into something awesome!

·
SHOWUSYATITS
5,378 Posts
Ya sorry man I didn't see your build thread. I remember you from the Intro threads though.
Keep at it dude. YOU CAN DO IT!
Made any progress on deciding what you want to do with it?

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually have been super busy with my 2 jobs and school, so no progress yet. I stripped a little more, but have not bought any parts, nor made an major decisions yet.

I'm now leaning towards a multi phase build. It's super nice out and I want to ride, so I think I may put it mostly back together, then be able to ride it, and mod it as I go. If I just had time.........!

My largest motivator to do this is that I have it blown apart in my basement (workshop) so I can't do alot of the work I need to, and I need my work benches and table saw back (it's now acting as a work bench too)

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK so I've finally made some decisions so that I can get this thing rolling, and ride for the summer. Instead of doing it all at once, I am going to do it in stages.

This works out best for me because it:
a) affords me time to decide and do the research necessary and find parts
b) is easier on the wallet, alot over time instead of all at once - My Nova is going to be getting some love, as well as 2 of the Fairlanes - see another thread
c) allows me to ride it for the winter

Stage one:
A) Replace parts as needed due to wear and tear (chain, sprockets, stem bearings, fluids, pads, carb clean and synch)
B) loose all fairings, head light and tail in favor of an undecided rear and a teardrop front. LED turns front and back.
C) keep everything else the same so I can actually ride
D) one off subframe and tail (possible, or if I can find a donor style I like - Suggestions welcome)
E) Remount gauges somehow - I like having them
F) Once I start to make progress, sell un-reused parts to fund the fighter.

Stage two:
A) Fork swap (still looking), strip paint from wheels, paint centers black and lips polished.
B) new handle bars and controls
C) new/custom seat
D) tank swap - Find one i like first!
E) upgraded brakes front - Dependent on fork choice

Stage three:
A) 1200 swap with some upgrades
B) Paint - I am going to go with matte black and Amber fire (Chrysler color if you want to look it up) Paint scheme depends on what I end up making.
C) Swing arm swap and wider rear
D) Rear brake upgrade - Dependent on swing arm used

Input and suggestions are alway welcome!
Brian

·
SHOWUSYATITS
5,378 Posts
Sounds like a plan man! Instead of re-using the stock gauges though, just get an aftermarket one straight up. Less time fuckin around that way plus it'll look a lot cleaner/better......

·
Suzuki rock's
106 Posts
very nice i love the katana's nice to see them being fightered aswell :D very nice .... what idea's do u have for her?!?!?

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like a plan man! Instead of re-using the stock gauges though, just get an aftermarket one straight up. Less time fuckin around that way plus it'll look a lot cleaner/better......
Any suggestions?

I was using the stock ones for the time being to cut down on costs, but will eventually put something else in.

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Small update:

Finally got some free time to tinker. I have been super busy with home repairs and endless breaking truck!

Got the bike down to a frame/motor combo.

And also figured out exactly why I has such a hard time steering as of late. My bike was severely neglected when I got it, and this is a perfect example:

Lower stem bearing:

I have also begun to amass my collection of new parts. So far I got a new tail light, Some parts for my exhaust (baffles and header wrap). Still working on other parts.

I'm also still debating between a 520 and 530 chain, as I need both sprockets and a chain anyways. Hopefully more to come soon.
Brian

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i think your bearings might be fucked mate :D holy shit!!! thats a mess
I was coming to that conclusion myself!

Anywho, the inner part of the lower bearing that actually slides on the stem is stuck on there pretty good, so I'll have to work on getting that off before I can move forward.

·
-----
1,272 Posts
Keep at it man. You will get there!

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got some work done today!!!

New Goal added today, reuse as many of the OEM parts as possible, and splurge in a few places. This is intended to keep costs down, as I am not a money machine! :( I also want it to retain some Katana look, while not really looking like a Katana, if that makes any sense?

First off, went shopping and some parts finally arrived.

Then I got down to work ~~~

These are Odyssey BMX Grips, an ode to my old past time.

Then I modified some Hyabusa bar ends to fit, and mounted after painting.

Then I got to work on that lower stem bearing that was stuck on there after most of it fell apart while removing. I don't have a bearing puller so I got creative with a dremel.

Managed to get it off. This is were patience is truly a virtue. No damage :) So then I got busy painting the tripples and their hardware.

Shock, dogbone, swing arm and all that crap also got some flat or semi paint. I am unhappy with the forks and swing arm (which I did in gloss {why?} ), so they will be changing from gloss to semi, like the other suspension parts.

'

An my favorite part of the day, the rotors. It's kind of a copper color. Calipers will match, maybe some other parts. I love organgy/copper colors, so this is exactly what I wanted.

'

The wheels will be Copper lip and Semi Black interior.

Here is a picture of the wheels for reference~

I haven't done the calipers yet because I have decided to rebuild them while everything else is apart, just as a safety measure.

Hopefully more is to come soon. What's really holding me back at this point is that my stem bearings haven't arrived yet, and I haven't managed to order a chain and sprocket either.

I also need so start thinking about my gauges. I'd like to have a functioning Speedo, Tach and keep my gas gauge (I'm too dumb to keep track, not to mention my trip doesn't work).

I gotta keep it fairly affordable, but would be willing to spend a little more for a backlit plug and play, even if it's just the tach and speedo. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

List of parts needed to buy to continue -

1) Chain & sprockets - and decision on brand, and gearing
2) Speedo, tach {no idea~}
3) Foot rests/pegs/whatever you want to call them
4) Front and rear blinkers (but what kind?)
5) Brake rebuild parts (front L+R and rear)
6) Fork rebuild stuff
7) New Brake lines (front and rear)
8) Petcock rebuild stuff (leaks like its cool)
9) all that misc. shit nobody remembers till they need it... :(

~~~Brian

1 - 20 of 327 Posts