Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
281 - 300 of 327 Posts

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 ·
ok, gotta type this shit again cause Pandora froze my comp.

I got some shit in the mail, Brake pads (lotta fucking good that does me right now...) and the fork clamp for my stabilizer.

AND for anyone that was thinking about buying a protek clamp, this is the fitment/alignment straight out of the packaging.

Except, like an asshole, I ordered a 53mm instead of a 54mm. So I kinda thought "well that sucks"....then I thought "fuck that shit, it's going on one way or another!"

So then I spend hours in CAD drawing up a plan, and then got in on the mill for a line hone.....

So really what happened, cause I ain't got all that fancy horseshit, Is I took a die grinder and a angle grinder with a scotch brite roloc and I just ground a little at a time until it clamped like a champ.

I also got rid of the logo cause I ain't a billboard.

Then I had to space this guy up a little because he's not threaded the whole way up.

And then she's on. Pivot is great, no binding. I think I am gonna put heavier fluid in it though. Gonna wait till i can actually ride it to make that call though.

And that's it till more shit comes in. Guess I might paint the front wheel or something next. I do have to get the steering stops sorted out too, I guess that's kinda more important...

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
Got some presents from the mailman and the big brown truck today! Just want to say thanks to JackstandJohnny for sending me this boss Barbie beach towel with my parts, and also for the stickers and button!

Fist I did a quickie mount of the A/F meter, this isn't how it will be mounted, but it's the general gist of it, and area.

Then I got to work, took off the exhuast, cooler and lines, and dropped the pan so see what's up with it. I have to say, this fucking mount thing I made is really tits right now, as I can still work on the bike on the stand with no front end and drop all this shit from the bottom! Gotta see why it's leaking oil.

Then I started making a mount for my new cooler. Gotta make some custom brackets to put it where it needs to go, as well as to utilize the stock upper mount. Pics kind speak for themselves. I should note, I added rubber between the mount and cooler on both top and bottom to minimize vibration to it. Ended up chaning the design as I went, but overall I'm happy and it will work just fine.

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
Got to work on mounting up the cooler.

First, I put the wheel back on so I could see the spacing. Then I put together the fittings for the cooler lines so i could make sure they don't hit shit, since these coolers are typically run on GSXR's, which have a WAYYYY more forgiving frame set up for where the lines are. This shit is real tight on a kat, but god damn apparently it CAN be done. I spent forever picking a spot and turning the forks, then it slipped, so I reposition and rinse and repeat for like an hour. Finally I got close, and was able to use some foam and sip ties to space it away from the header and hold it where It should be (roughly)

Then I got to work making some upper mounts to utilize the stock kat mounting spots for the cooler. Nothing fancy, just some rod I had around and some nuts.

Then, fuck me, I realized that the lower mounts were on the outside of the cooler, and the big old dogbone looking thing I made for the bottom of the cooler was useless. So fuck that, I cut it up and made it continue life as cooler mounts in a different conficguration.

Then I realized that the lower mounts looked like donkey balls, so I dressed them up some.

and so this is what I ended up with. As you can see, the shit is real tight in every possible spot, but nothing hits, and it will work just fine. Also, fuck doing that again.

Which left me with this.

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
So of course, then I decided I really didn't want the damper on top of the headlight, so I had to make a bracket to hold it to the fork bolts.

[/URL]

So I moved it around 500 times, and finally found a spot that din't bind or hit the forks at full steer in either direction. So I cut the stem tab a little smaller, and welded her on.

Then I just bullshiteed a quick zip tie and aluminum bracket to stick the headlight back on. This is roughly where I have to mount it. I can't got closer to the bike, or lower or it will hit the damper.

http://s47.photobucket.com/user/venturesomerite/media/Katana/IMG_0851_zps17a410c1.jpg.html

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
Got some little bs started tonight.

Cleaned up the oil pan, can't find any cracks. Gotta check the block for cracks now I guess....

Also took the front calipers apart for rebuild, looks like I should just do a full rebuild on them

Got my banjo adapters in. Damn were these hard to find.

and bad news bears, I wanted to test fit my flatslides, and they physically do not fit onto the bike. The boots fit both bore and carb alignment, but the carbs are too deep, and the bowls hit the alternator mount bolt on the top. I also found that one bowl bolt on the bottom was ground for clearance on something, so I'll have to replace it, as it's ground right through to the inside. One of the three has been replaced with a lower profile head, which I'm going to try and match as a start for my clearance issues, but It looks like I'm going to be eating away some of the alt mount until it fits.

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
Not a big update, but an important one to the build.

First off, my new front master came in. So first order of business was to swap out the lever it came with for my old orange one. Easier said than done. Problem was that I couldn't sawp jsut the lever, I HAD to keep the pivot that the lever was attached to because the plunger pivot that came with the new master it totally different, and even the bolts holes are way different. When the pivot that the orange lever was in is mounted up, it depresses the plunger in the not touching the brake resting position, so that ain't gonna work.

I ended up finding a easy solution, I shaved down a few parts of it. 20 test fits latter, it's on and will work as it should. I also mounted up my new on/off switch, and my push pull throttle assemblies.

Which brought me to my next project for the night, trying to figure out the flatslides, and why they won't fit in. The carb alignment was perfect, but it was like they were too low. After talking with Jackstand Johnny, he mentioned he thought they were off a built 11xx cc, which he believes has a taller head, which I seem to recall reading is true, so that's probably where my clearance problem came from.

So I swapped the boots all around, ( I knew it wouldn't work, but I had to try any ways cause that's free) hoping some configuration would raise them slightly, but as I thought no, and even if it did, I need the boots to be in the right spots to straigten out the factory angle on the block.

So my ultimate solution was to shave some off the alt mount, and the bolt head, gaining me just enough room to squash those bastards in there. It's tight, but they go in and that's all I give a fuck about.

You can see here, once they are in, there plenty-o-room, but on the angle they go in at, not so much.

So then I plopped the pods on, only to see that my CDI is in the way of the RH most one, so I just flipped them all upside down. Fuck it, look fine to me.:rock:

Then I hooked up the cables and got them all set. They seem to work best when you don't put the push in the pull and pull in the push, go figure lol

So of course, I had to throw the tank back on to take a look, and I'm glad I did. The petcock occupies the same space as the push/pulls.

So, at this point, what is left of Katana (including this slated to be changed for this build) is as follows:

- Frame (minus subframe)
- Some of the wiring harness
- The clutch perch
- gas tank

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 ·
Got my new clip ons in today, very stoked about them, fit well, finish is good and they even came in a box with all sorts of fancy Chinese writing on it.

Problem is the directions say I can't install them. Poo.

Oh wait, fuck that. Directions aren't meant to be followed, especially on fighters:skully:

So I got to work, swapped out the forks for the silver ones just for fun, I think I'm gonna run these and save the blues for my bobber in the future.

Gotta sort the clutch cable in the future.

As you can see it really drops everything down, low and mean the way I like it.

Just a mock up position, but these things are like inifinately adjustable, so I can dick around with it once I can actually sit on the bike and feel it out. They clear the tank with plenty of room as is, so I'll probably leave 'em close to where they currently are.

So I got to thinking how I'm gonna mount my trail tech now, since I WAS using the bar clamp mount. Me thinks I'm gonna mount the A/F gauge and the trailtech on the tripples, with some custom made brackets. You can see the A/F just mocked up using the crappy steering column mount I have for the pod.

I also Got my seat in. Honestly, It's about 30% bigger than I thought it would be. I'm really not sure if I'm gonna use it, mod it or just sell it. It's literally mint, so selling shouldn't be an issue. Liberally use of custom green mock up tape used.

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #288 ·
Not satisfied, I got a little more done. I don't have the resources to fuck with the gas tank right now, Though I do plan to in the futures, I decided to just make the carbs and petcock live nicely together.

I opted to make a new bracket, rather than modify the old one because I do plan to make a tank at some point in the future, and I'm saving this bracket to just put back on when that time comes. More work now, but a pay off then.

So I started with the same plate that I've made pretty much every bracket from so far.
(for anyone curious, I snagged it from a job I had. It's the cover panel for the dessicant wheel access hole on an ice rink dehumidification system)

Original Bracket

The problem:

CAD blue prints

First test fit, and so on. You guys can figure it out.

Here's a good shot of the difference in the cable entrances between the two

Then I needed stops for both sides, so these were chosen to be sacrificed, then I chose a different large bolt so I could adjust it with a wrench from the side, rather than a screwdriver from the top.

(YES, I know I need a new bottom cable. :) )

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
got my trailtech dash surround in, so I started fucking around with that. That led me to finally having to fuck around with the upper tripple, and fixing the holes in it, as well as shaving the ignition bits off. I ended up taking it to a friends to sandblast it and use a spool gun to weld the holes up.

Got to work on the tripple. The black came right off. The green took fucking forevererer!
Who the fuck paints Suzuki parts Kawasaki green anyways?

Came to realize a few things I'm gonna have to do:

1) Make my own mount for the trailtech, the one they provide won't work.
2)I have to extend all the wires for the dash and the surround lights, as ALL the connectors will be visible.
3) I have to go back to a side mount option for the A/F gauge, as the surround for the TT is too wide, I thought it would be a smidge narrower than it is, so they won't play nice on top. It's ok, the TT looks really good up there by it'self.

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
Got some work done on the gauge today. Started off by shaving the last two mount pieces off the bottom on the tripple. I was saving them incase I needed them, but I don't so off with 'em!

Then I fabbed up a bracket to hold the trailtech where I wanted it. I also drilled at tapped two holes for the mount on the bottom of the tripple. They ended up basically where the ignition mounts were.

I opted to angle it up in the front to mimic how I always ran it when i had the bar mount. I couldn't see it well when it was flat.

For anyone curious, the little rubber guys with the red insets and those allen cap bolts are off of the univeral tail tech mount that came with the surround. The other ones used to mount the bracket to the tripples are just two allen caps that i had laying around from an electrical cabinet I scrapped but pulled all the hardware off of first :)

Test fitting. One of MANY

Custom bending device.

And a working Bracket.

So as you can see, that doesn't look too pretty from the front. So I dressed it up a little with some sheet metal. Wish I tested it to see if it was stainless steel BEFORE I went to weld it...lol.

I didn't take a picture with the leads for the idiot lights plugged in, but it looked even worse.

I did add a little tab to connect the top of the bracket to the face piece, but I guess I forgot to take a picture of it.
So now we just skip to a primmed, not finish sanded piece in mock up stage. I will finish the body work on it when I go to do all my painting. I also have to true up the top edge, as I noticed when mounted it dips in the middle, but that aside, I'm pretty happy with it.

I think it cleans up the look pretty nicely. Utilizing the half round cut out in the tripple where the ignition used to be turned out work out really nice.

OLD BRACKET FOR REFERNCE

New Bracket

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #292 ·
I like the pinstripes and the headlight.
I love the headlight shape, it's different from any other fighter which I really like about it, and it lends itself to a low mean look. I do have a large 7" round guy a thought about using, but I'm saving it for a bobber instead.

Pinstripes I did one day a year or so ago when i was sick as dog and wanted something to do/ I will be redoing them when I take everything apart and repaint it.

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
Replaced the bolts on the side covers with some SS ones. Somehow I ended up with two extras (IKEA bolts?)

I had to shave about 1/4" of threads down on one of bolts for the RR cover so I could get it to work, probably as a result of me swapping the motor from hydro clutch to cable clutch, but whatever.

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #295 ·
I dismounted the front tire using a vice, some zip ties and rebar wire. Started stripping the rim and spare tank. I'm kind thinking about polishing the wheels now...

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #296 ·
Decided to soda blast the carbs to clean them up a little bit. Rather than fuck up the flat slides, I used the stock Kat 600 carbs as my guinea pig.

And pics would be here if I had some.:oops:

Since that worked out ok, I went ahead. I could have gotten them cleaner if I took 'em all apart and shit, but I just wanted to get rid of most of the tarnish, not to look brand new.

Also blasted the can. not sure why I polished it honestly, no one's gonna see it under the belly pan I'm gonna make....

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #297 ·
Got my new brakes lines and clutch and throttle cables mocked up. Nothing's cut yet, gotta leave that for after the tail section is made so I know where the bars are gonna be for length, but this is the gist that I'm going for.

And some profile shots. You can see Garlic Sauce hiding behind the blanket.

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #298 ·
My oil pan gasket came in today, so I was able to get it on. First I had to chase all the threads for the bolts (has some boogered ones). Seems smiley faces now.

Now with that finally on, I can actually finish up the cooler lines.

So it only made sense to then work on my wheel...... :oops:

Scrubbed and primed it. Still needs a good sand then I can paint..... Assuming I can decide on a color.

Three choices at the moment are Just Orange, Just Semi-black, or two tone of them like the rear wheel currently is. I'll be swapping both wheels (I think) so it doesn't really matter which one I go with cause I'll have to paint them both anyways.

So then the next logical step was to make my new clutch cable.

In this picture you can see how much longer the adjust was than the stock, and I liked the stock length so i cut that bitch.

Then I got it all cut down (the cable itself and the braided part). Got the nipple on, tripple check all the parts are there..... Then bird nest it for solder.

New next to old. I pulled on it with pliers with all my might, so I guess it's not going anywhere.

Good shot of the stock length VS the new one I made

And all in place.

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #299 ·
Nothing too interesting today, played spaghetti monster for a while, and cut off the old battery box. Gonna install a smaller race bat somewhere instead.

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #300 ·
The people have spoken, ORANGE it is! 4 coats primer, 7 coats color, 10 coats clear. I have never actually clear coated anything I put on my bike before, so maybe this will stay and not get changed for a fucking change.

Then I took the forks off, cause I had to fuck with something.

And found this shit behind the spray paint in my cabinet, which I bought for some car rims and didn't end up using. What the fuck, let's give it a shot.

The shit that is taped will become satin black at some point.

Custom paint area, it's definately NOT milk crates with press plates on it, whatever you were thinking.

So at first they kinda looked gold.

Then I just sprayed until the can ran out, and they ended up like this.

So while the paint was drying doing that shit, I started to look at making steering stops, then kinda realized that I took the forks out......:oops:

When I got the tripple, the steering stops had been cut off, and I have no Idea what the fucking thing that ripped off in the front was.

So I got to painting the gauge mount and top tripple at some point.

And so I put my mock up forks in. I'm not gonna lie, I feel like a dick for calling blue USD's mock up forks....

I'll get to figuring them maybe tomorrow. I have to take the tripple out and clean up all the old stops and broken off weld first.

And here's a peek at my kinda plan. Thoughts welcome.

I assure you that last one is a certified CAD drawing, definately not a print out with sharpie on it. :)

281 - 300 of 327 Posts