Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Impulse Buyer
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just started looking at insurance again on a Bandit (Which I'm hopefully getting soon, if the solicitors will hurry up!). The main reason I wanted to get a Bandit over any other bike, was because the insurance was cheap; £350 Third part Fire & Theft for a year. Now, for a 19 year old, that's pretty good. But, being 19, I have to be restricted to 47bhp for two years. So, naturally, a Bandit has to be restricted, and is one of the only 600's that can be restricted to come under the law (the bike can't be originally twice the power than when it is in restricted form, it can't be more than 94bhp stock). Obviously, I would have thought putting a restrictor on a bike, lowering it's power, speed, and danger to the public, would lower the premium, or at the very least leave it as it was, which is why I never bothered checking if it made a difference before. So, imagine my surprise when I add one, and the premium jumps up to at least £1000 wherever I look! So, my question to all of you fine people, is threefold. A.How can they offer a quote for a bike without restrictors if it is illegal to ride it. B: Legally, how can they penalise me by raising my premiums up for adhering to the law. C: Is there any way to get around this? I really don't have the money to be spending that much on insurance, and don't want to be stuck on some shitty 125 for 2 more years. Thanks in advance to whoever can offer insight to this stupidity of insurers!

·
Impulse Buyer
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you had any more luck finding a better deal? Who've you tried so far?
Most of the comparison sites. I think it might drop a bit if I call up instead of just getting online quotes, but it's still ridiculous. Guess it'll be a matter of trying to sort it when the time comes :/

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts
Yeah, give "Bikesure" a shot direct, they've been pretty cool to me the last couple of years, and don't seem put off by modifications.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts