Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Newbie but not new
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit late to the party but i hope to make up for it with lots of drinking and lewd conduct:smiley_abzv:

I picked up this '95 CBR900RR that's ripe for a decent fighter build. My main plan is to make it a demon :fire: through the twisties but it also needs to look the part. I've got a CBR600RR swingarm and forks, a pair of R1 wheels, a new (to me) vertical mill and a need for a bike to hit the roads around the San Francisco Bay Area next summer.

Some one changed the bodywork to the later model. I like the look of the originals so I'm going to change it back.

Ugly headlight.

Ohlins loveliness

·
Newbie but not new
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The front end I'm going to use is from a '06 CBR600RR and has been sitting in a '85 GPZ900R project I've been messing with for a couple of years. That project has now been scrapped (not literally, the GPZ is back to stockish and up for sale) so that front end is going in.

The forks have already been revalved and all the adjusters and caps anodized black to match the outer tubes. A quick service to fix a busted seal and they're ready.

Now the CBR600RR triples should slot straight into the CBR900RR frame without any mods and these would if I hadn't changed the stem for one from a ZX636 (I think) and machined the lower triple to let the stem poke further through. Now the stem's too long for the CBR9 :( and I can't use the standard CBR size bearings which I normally keep on the shelf. A quick search round the workshop turned up another CBR6 lower triple:party-smiley: but on closer inspection they were twisted and the threads at the top were stripped :( Time to either buy a CBR triple or make what I've got work :tongue: Bollocks to waiting! I found I had the right bearings to fit the ZX stem into the CBR frame (turns out I was out of the standard CBR sets anyway), pressed out the ZX stem, squeezed it into the bent triple, straightened that triple and we're in.:party-smiley: Even the lockstops line up but they do need trimming to give it a tighter turning circle than a barge. This also means I can use the top triple I had made for the GPZ without any mods.

Next step is to make spacers to fit the R1 wheel in there. I had a set of Marchesinis from an R1 in the GPZ but they're being sold off for more funds but that does mean I know the stock R1 discs will line up with the CBR calipers. I'm also thinking of relocating the ignition switch to clean up that top triple a bit more.

·
Newbie but not new
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More progress at last. The shop is closed today so I came in, locked the door, ignored the phone and got on with it. First thing was to pull the triples again and grind down the lock stops. No more 20 point turns to get it on the bench. I'm hoping to get a custom lower triple machined up later if there's time. Next up was wheel spacers. Not too tricky. I already had the caliper spacers.

Here's what you need to fit a '05 R1 wheel and discs into a '06 CBR600RR front end. I'll get them anodised later.

Add some titanium caliper bolts I've had on the shelf waiting for the right project and it's all together.

·
Newbie but not new
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like the gods of easy fitment are smiling on the rear end :robssmilie:

The CBR600RR swingarm is the correct width and the CBR900RR pivot bolt is the right diameter for the swingarm. I just need to make up a spacer to sit between the pivot bearings where the back of the 600 motor would normally sit. The top shock mount is built into the swingarm on the Honda Unit Pro-link so no problem there. The 600 arm is 2" longer than the 900's. I don't think that will slow the steering too much but I do need to figure out the swingarm angle. I'm looking to make this project handle really well so I needed to get the geometry right. I'd like to squeeze a 190/55 or even a 200 in the back so I guesstimated the tire size and then measured the rake on the front end and calculated the trail. Should be 24 degree rake and 100mm of trail. Flickable without being nervous.

I originally had this arm in another project and had cobbled together a link to connect the linkage to that frame. With a bit of drilling and filling to get the ride height I was after I was able to use that link for the CBR900RR frame. Result! :D I'll try and get some CNC loveliness to replace it but it'll do for now. I also measured the linkage ratio so I can work out what shock spring to use once the bike is closer to being finished and I know how much/little it weighs.

·
Newbie but not new
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The CBR600RR swingarm came from a crashed 03-04 model and had a little damage.

I could have just polished it up but I thought a little MotoGP prototype look would be nice. So out with the aluminum sheet and welder.

I'm a mechanic not a welder so my welding tends to be from the school of 'overweld & grind it back'. Professional welders and those of a nervous disposition may want to look away.

Much grinding and polishing and rewelding to fill the holes and grinding and polishing later..

·
Newbie but not new
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Handy hint if you're thinking of putting a CBR600RR swingarm into a CBR900RR...use one from an 07-08. It should bolt straight in, no spacers needed, no funky lower link. ;) (Edit - you do need a funky link. The 900 shock is offset more than the 600's. Thanks DrJellyFingers for reminding me.)

·
Newbie but not new
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I realised I wasn't really going to have the time or ability to make a CNC link for the rear suspension so I dug through the links I had and found one from an RC51 that looked like it might work. I needed to mount it up to the frame so made up some brackets. It took a while to get them just right.

I'll probably weld them in if they work out.

The shorter link also meant a different linkage ratio. Up from about 2.5 to 3.3. That meant a stiffer spring. I had an 1100lb spring sitting on the shelf so stuck that in. That should be good if my calculations are right.:D

·
Newbie but not new
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So front and rear ends are pretty much sorted, time for the exhaust. I got his beaten up CBR6 Arata titanium pipe that a friend replaced after a bit of a tumble. The link pipe is dented and one of the welds of the connector on the muffler has sheared.

I used some U blocks and the hydraulic press to get the link pipe back into shape (ish). As most of it will be hidden and heat wrapped it doesn't need to be mint. The can will be a bit more tricky. I don't have the ability to weld titanium and pipe will need to be positioned correctly before I take it to 'The Man Who Can'. I drilled out the rivets and got the can apart. I flared out the bit of pipe inside and will rivet into place to get the position set.

The CBR600RR swingarm has a cut out for the high level pipe but the 600 subframe starts much higher than the 900 so I needed to space out a section. I also realized that the rear wheel would hit the can on full compression. The solution was to lengthen the lower frame rail by 14mm to raise the rear by 100mm. So it was out with the hacksaw and attack the subframe.

Then make up a new section to clear the pipe and use a offset mounting tab from a GSXR subframe.

Weld it in and lengthen the other side by grinding off the weld holding the solid plug, reposition it, reweld and drill a fresh hole. Subframe done.

·
Newbie but not new
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Next thing was to attach the stock headers to the 600 link pipe. I would have liked to get an aftermarket set of headers but even rusty old systems for these early CBR9's are being sold for silly money. The stock headers will do fine as I'm not looking for more power (yet).

I just needed a roughly 90 degree connector. I could have taken the bike to an exhaust shop and had a piece made but that takes too much time and hassle. I saw Knifemaker87 making a pipe from scratch for the '83 Virago "Instigator" so figured I could at least have a go. Luckily the OD of the 600 link was the same as the ID of the end of the 900 header. I cut off the end of the 900 pipe, ground off the flange, turned it around, cut it at an angle and welded it back on. :party-smiley:

Pipes linked!

·
Newbie but not new
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Almost a month since my last update :wtf: I just can't get on with the work for all the customers and other peoples projects :D

However, progress has been made. I cut down the muffler, trimmed off some of the subframe and positioned it up on the bike. The original idea was to put in a few rivets and take it off to a professional welder but I just carried on rivetting and 'Hey Presto' the muffler was mounted up. I still need to figure out a bit of a support bracket.

I was thinking of poking the tip of the muffler through the original taillight surround but soon realized that would probably just melt away. I made up a template from the oem plastic and cut one out of some aluminum diamond plate. I'll mount some LED strips for lighting.

Here's the tail mocked up but I'm short the small center panel where the seat lock sits. Used ones seem to be as rare as rocking horse poop. If I can't find one soon I'll have to get a new one :mad:. Anyone got one spare?

·
Newbie but not new
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Started to relocate the electrics. I've had a stainless battery box kicking round for a few years without the right project to fit it to. I had to trim it down a bit but with a couple of holes drilled and a couple of spacers it mounted up to the engine mount nicely.

I also came up with a headlight idea. This a flashlight that I converted to two 12v halogen bulbs and mounted up using half a GS500 front fender mount. I doubt it'll give a great beam but I don't plan on riding much at night.

Some Koso gauges I traded some work for...

..and relocated ignition switch.

·
Newbie but not new
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:wtf:Where does all the time go!

So, I finally made some progress on the electrical side of things. Having relocated the battery, ecu and other under the seat gubbins to under the tank the whole loom has been shuffled forward. Combined with the extra wiring needed with the stock fairing this left a mass of loom to tuck away or remove.

Even if it's all tucked away and you can't see it I hate the idea of just folding all that up and squeezing it in so it was out with the strippers.

Sorry, wrong strippers. Out with the WIRE strippers.

Cut out this much.

I also used some stick coils from an '05 R1 to replace the bulky originals and connectors off an old '02 GSXR loom. Now it all fits much neater.

·
Newbie but not new
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did this a couple of weeks ago but forgot about it till I started up again the other day. Finished mounting up the exhaust by welding on a couple of tabs for half of the original strap round the can and heat wrapped the connecting pipe.

·
Newbie but not new
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welded on a couple of tabs to mount up the taillight plate and fixed on some LED stop/tail strips. I might get the plate anodized black later on.

And then Xmas came early!!

My good friend Trung who runs Spin-Tek Machining in San Jose came by with a little gift! He'd made the top triple a couple of years ago but on the previous bike I didn't need a lower but now....:thumbsup:

·
Newbie but not new
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, so a couple of months ago I had a panic when I misread the final date for the buildoff. Well it's two months later and whilst progress has been made there's still a lot to do (although I think this bike may fall into the 'never finished/always another mod planned' category).

Just spent the last two days locked in the shop working at those little jobs that seem to take forever. Swapped out the shock spring for a heavier 1300lb one but had a little difficulty getting it on. The Ohlins shock compressor couldn't compress the spring far enough to get the collar on. This got me thinking that I might have miscalculated or maybe I should use a different linkage. This is roughly the same set up as stock and I had it on my old GPZ900R and they both only needed 600-800lb springs. I tried a few different links I had lying around but kept coming up with similar numbers. In the end I used the 15 tonne hydraulic press and a lot of caution to fit the spring. The bikes not off the stand yet so I've yet to find out if the spring is right.

Also installed the CBR600RR front sprocket and '06 R6 rear so I can run a 525 chain. Rearsets and carbon hugger came next. The hugger needed a bit of spacing to clear the 190/55 tire and might need a bit more when I squeeze in the planned 200 section later on.

Welded a tab onto the rear caliper hanger to mount up the speed sensor. Found a braided brake line for the rear caliper.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts