Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
short story of the events:

one of my mates has been talking about buying a bike for a long time but has never had the funds or the right situation. then some bloke pops up and offers him a trade for his holden VK sedan.. asks me if it's an ok trade. I say yes, only if the bike is ok.
so I check out the bike, obviously looking for the type of damage you'd expect from something 12 years old and potentially a stuntbike.. steering lock, wheels, swingarm, engine cases etc.. only damage on the bike is some low speed rash on the right side (and as you'll see it's barely anything) the muffler (using the word muffler loosely here, it's pretty fucking loud) and the front brake lever (which has obviously been bent back into shape but not in a dramatic way).
take the bike for a ride just up the street and back. it's selecting all gears smoothly.. power band is beautiful.. she's practically like a new bike.

46000km/28500miles, near new tires, chain and sprockets in great condition, brakes are mental (6-pot up front hahaha)

so my question is.. how hard is it to kill and dispose of a man and assume his identity? :D :D

I kid. one of his mates is telling him he needs a steering dampner. I'm saying not so much; he's not intending to take it to the track and he's not aiming to thrash it, plus after riding it it feels very stable but I'm yet to take it on a high speed run.

anything anyone can throw in? it's the last of the j models so the year before FI (though the engine goes through the FI start up which is weird) and before USD's.

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts
What exactly are you asking? Should he buy a bike you've checked out and seems to be OK and runs great? Yeah.

Should he fighter it? Yup.

Next! :D

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
as cookie says buyit fightah it and ride tha fookin crap outah it fer sure .

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no.. does it need a steering dampner for regular use and are there any issues I should keep an eye out for hahaha you guys

I would love to fighter it but it's not mine. one day...

·
Angry Northerner
324 Posts
Tell him it's shite and to stay clear of it, then say you'll buy it for parts and THEN fighter it. :fu:

Seriously though, as for the steering damper, it sounds like the general consensus is they don't really need one as they are more stable than the previous B and C models which have been known to shake their heads. (Info fromn a thread in Bike Chat Forums here.)

If he's going to be a nutcase and thrash the tits off it, then it might be worth it though. :)

·
ZX-6R Fighterer
457 Posts
Man I wish my bike looked that good when I bought it lol.

Looks real clean, and the only reason I think you would need a steering dampener is for track use or for what eccles suggested. Stock forks and brakes are fine, but if you want to swap the 6 pot Tokicos you can buy some Nissin calipers off a Bandit (late 90's model I think probably 98 or somewhere around that year) and you can always swap the forks and all that. Lots of parts can be changed on this bike easily (if you have the money lol). Just make sure maintenance is up to date, check the air filter, and the carbs to see if they're clean. That should be it.

Pred

·
Registered
740 Posts
99% of riders do not need a steering damper, they're hugely over-rated. Especially on any remotely modern bike, any wobbles or stability problems are more likely from worn tires or stem bearings, where a damper will serve to kind of mask the problem rather than fix it.

On some older design bikes they can help a little(they were a somewhat common addition to the Vmax, a notoriously wobbly bike, with mixed results) but if you're pushing them that hard to make them shudder and shake, it's probably in your best health to get a bike than can actually handle it.

Otherwise the only "common" problem with a lot of sportbikes is a blown second gear. Kawi's of that era tend to need the oil filter cracked/ burped after you change the oil otherwise the pump won't re-prime and the oil light stays on, but other than that the motors are pretty bulletproof.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts