Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a guy ask me this weekend why I was upgrading my swingarm (to either a 636 banana or a 900RR braced). My answer was simply because I wanted to. But is there actually a good logic behind swaping in a beefier, braced swingarm?

The only reason I can see is possibly for support for a larger motor, but can someone flush it out better for me what the real benefits are to having a beefyer swinger?

·
Bush pilot
591 Posts
Four very important reasons for a swap like that.

1: Your an intermediate to pro class racer who flogs the bike so hard into corners that the original unbraced arm gives some flex that you can "notice" lowering your lap times by .0000001 seconds.

2: You were recently rear ended by grampa in his Caddilac cage.

3: You have an older bike with a narrower tire and want to upgrade (agin to lower .0000001 sec from your laps).

4: You've pushed the original horse power well over 190 RWHP.

The other unspoken and more important reasons.

1: you like the looks of the other / newer swingarm and it's cooler.

2: you like the looks of the other / newer swingarm and it's cooler.

Personally I can't wait to get the new swing arm on my bike. I like the looks of it and it's allot cooler.!!
:truestory: :LolLolLolLol:

Glen.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
i know the reason for my swingarm swap is PURELY aesthetic. haha. i want the lighter, beefier, sexier 954 swinger on my 929!

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the guy wasn't mocking me or anything, he was just curious if I had some magical performance oriented mind. Which I confess I don't. My mind is more for style.

So I can assume pretty safely then that most of the benefits to be found in a braced swingarm can only be noticed on the track or strip?

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
I'd like to put a different swingarm onto my ninja but my reason is for the wider rear tire. I have a 160/60 on it now, and since 180s are more common, I can get them a lot cheaper through work (as dumb as that sounds)

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
might as well go for the 190!

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
I'm bracing the shit out of my stocker to make is "stiffer". like I'll ever notice it. HAHA. but the fact of the matter is that it will look really friggin cool to have a under/over brace stock arm on a 87 fz-700

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So then I gather the general consensus is that we put braced arms on our fighters just because we want to:) Cool. Thats what I thought.:D

·
British Bloke in Canada
2,146 Posts
Im in the process of grafting on a gixer 1k swinging arm on to my suzuki 1150 EFE,

Im doing it, for a few reasons
my efe rear shock is bagged, too buy another one would cost bucks
I allready have the whole rear end from a previous project,
and I can go with the 180 tire, the thing will sick.
I allso have to buy a offset sprocket and support plate.

·
British Bloke in Canada
2,146 Posts
Im in the process of grafting on a gixer 1k swinging arm on to my suzuki 1150 EFE,

Im doing for a few reasons
my efe rear shock is bagged, too buy another one would cost bucks
I allready have the whole rear end from a previous project,
and I can go with the 180 tire, the thing will look sick.
I allso have to buy a offset sprocket and support plate.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
929_adam said:
i know the reason for my swingarm swap is PURELY aesthetic. haha. i want the lighter, beefier, sexier 954 swinger on my 929!

*cough cough* i know someone that will have one for sale as soon as he finds a vfr800 arm *cough*

:D

·
Bush pilot
591 Posts
Yeah shit, I'm just jokin' around cause I want to change mine too, but it aint gonna do nothin just look better. Actually for the build off bike I'm building my own swinger entirely. I shouldn't give it away but I'll be lenthening it significantly over stock. The bikes only a 750 so, I'll only take all the wheelie (and fun) out of it, but I really like the look and someday I'll hopefully put an 1100 motor in it.??

If we were happy with our bikes as delivered we wouldn't be here now. And if everyone was like that, there'd be no fighters and the world would be a terrible place..........

:LolLolLolLol:

Glen.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
skr00zloose said:
*cough cough* i know someone that will have one for sale as soon as he finds a vfr800 arm *cough*

:D
already got one. paid 200 this summer. its just sitting around waiting to be put to good use.

i also got the 954 rear shock links...or as the fiche calls em :
'Plate, Cusion Arm' - you know those thin triangle pieces of aluminum with 3 holes in em.

i guess everything else from the 929 works great with the 954 swinger but those links make it ride smoother and sit right.

·
92cbr will be fighter!
97 Posts
not to mention some of us just have a basket case of a bike we want to be somewhat more understandable, 8 hours on wiring harness and getting one blinker to work, still not charging, still overheating, and nothing works with replacements parts? just going with the reg frame to start and since stock setup was a 16, think it will be a better idea to go with a setup from something else

1 - 16 of 16 Posts