Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
always half done
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke my left wrist in several places 3 years ago while downhill MTBing, and my grip strength has never been the same on that hand. So the stiff clutch on my R6 'fighter wears me down pretty quickly, especially in really tight twisties or city riding (and I commute on ground streets every day).

I've run both a Daytona and ZX6-R clutch lever, the latter with CRG shorties to reduce the reach, and both require about the same effort to pull. I'm trying to find a lever that pulls LESS cable (More lever pull:less cable pull = more mechanical advantage), and I'm thinking a dirtbike lever could be a good option. The clutch disengages over about 20% of the total lever travel, so I think I have plenty of room to pull less cable and still get full disengagement. Clutch safety switch is already disabled so that shouldn't be a problem.

What do you think? Has anyone used one? May just swing by a shop and see if they'll let me try out a few, but I'd rather know in advance before I start making folks open packages. Plus ASV's are super cheap on eBay.

·
always half done
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doh! Why didn't I think of that? Thanks for the tip. Way cleaner than a moose easy pull, which was the other idea.

·
always half done
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya man, no problem. I think it would be pretty easy to do on your bike too. Got any bigger pics of it? I wanna see.
Actually bit updated since the pic in my sig. Tossed the Hella Angel Eyes out for a Buell setup up front. Pic quality sucks compared to the shots a buddy took in front of the graffitti so the bike actually looks worse.

Attachments

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
MGr or whatever ,and Moose make easy pull levers and perches also, Not the cable piece, but the levers and perches that have 3 or more slots for the cable to hook that give it more leverage actualy and doesn't realy change the pull length. I'm used to the dirt bikes, so I use these on everthing because they just fit my hands and I grab at the shit, and it's right there I don't have to reach or position my hand. One finger, two finger, Smell my finger :D:wtf:

·
is lurking in the shadows
3,859 Posts
Yeah, R6s are one of the few bikes you can't really extend the clutch arm on. Just pick up a MSR or a Moose Ez Pull and you'll be fine. (I'd recommend the MSR, just because it has 3 adjustments, as opposed to only having two like the Moose)

·
E=MC Vagina
6,908 Posts
this may be a dumb question but cant you just rotate the arm 180degrees then extend it?i cant really tell if the arm is removable or not from that pic but its just a thought.

·
always half done
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heh, I came back to this thread after looking at my bike and discovering the same. The MSR looks like a decent option (and pretty cheap at 50 bones), but I think I'm just going to run by the shop, bring in the triumph lever and match it up to a dirt bike lever with a shorter pivot to cable distance. I'm sure that'll work fine...

Thanks for the help.

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
id be careful with dirt levers and perches. they will typically put the lever farther away from the bar. i just put a cr lever/perch on my drz and its out there. On my yz250 i used to run a banshee clutch lever which was a bit longer for easier pull. That may be an option for you. I would get a yz perch and the banshee lever because the banshee perch has some other stuff integrated into it.

or you could not use your clutch.

have you looked into hydraulic conversions or a hyd perch that goes to a remote cable setup.

·
always half done
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
id be careful with dirt levers and perches. they will typically put the lever farther away from the bar.

have you looked into hydraulic conversions or a hyd perch that goes to a remote cable setup.
Lined up the triumph against an ASV and it looks like the ASV has about 2/3 the pivot to cable distance of the triumph lever, so I should get about a 33% lighter pull. Seemed okay in terms of the distance from the bar... we'll see. Decided to just get an ASV off of eBay so it'll be at least a week before I can try it out.

Thought about a Magura hydro conversion, but I know I'm selling this bike in the summer and putting another $200 (and more labor... tracking down hoses of the right length) isn't worth it. Going to a full hydro-clutch isn't an option.

Took it out for a 300mi+ day on Saturday, with the ZX/CRG levers and it was bearable once I rotated the clutch arm a notch to move the uptake closer to the bar (housing adjusters were already full in).

·
451 Posts
Its probably hard to integrate into you're setup but I do remember once reading about a Harley oriented aftermarket clutch lever with a toggling mechanism that would allow the rider to hold the clutch open with practically no effort at all. Might be worth calling local Harley shops who cater to an older clientel who might be interested in such an innovation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts