Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I once again started on working on my street fighter project.

I tried using the ZEP oven cleaner, to help get off the frame paint before starting the sanding and all that.

Questions:

1. How long should I leave that on there??

I left it about 20 minutes with a plastic bag over it. It helped, but was not perfect..I still have to sand a bit of paint off in the area I was working in.

2. Do you use anything to take off the oven cleaner?

I just used a rag to wipe off any wetness. It was mostly milky white and blotchy.

3. Should the oven cleaner remove all the paint, just leaving the bare metal?

Mine did not...but maybe it needs longer time.

Help a guy out. Thanks. DZ :D

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
In my experience the oven cleaner has never taken all the factory finish off. This includes the frames and the anodized forks. But it does make it easier to sand. I've put it on and left it over night until it dries. Then started sanding and the finish came off fairly easy.

Out of all the tutorials I've read and all of the polishing I've done......I've come to one conclusion.....you will never get away without doing a lot of sanding. You can somewhat lesson it but you will always end up having to sand the finish off. But I think it also gives you the best results.

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
I've used Easy Off on anodised parts. I typiclly leave it for 15-20 mins and then wipe it off. Sometimes you'll have to go back and hit it again to get stubborn areas. Since you're trying to remove powdercoat from the frame, get some Aircraft stripper at the auto parts store. It's a little stonger. You'll also want to wash the parts thoroughly with soap and water. Dawn soap works great.

You'll probablly not get every square ince off with the chemical. You're still going to need to scrap and sand small areas off. But since you're polishing, you're gona have to sand it anyway.

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Or work at a place you can sand blast the thing :)
Is that you volunteering to do it for me? LOL

Trav and Scrap: Thanks for the replies.

I did try the aircraft stripper.....worked like ka ka.

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
You know, you're the second person to say that latley. And I was watching a buddy of mine try and strip the powdercoat off his frame the other day and having a hell of a time with it too. I'm woundering if they've either toned down the formula or what? I used it religiously and always had success with it. Hum. I think the EPA is behind this... DAMN HIPPIES!!! LOL!

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had some success with it years ago when I stripped the wheel lips on my Katana...worked great...but I agree, I think they don't sell the "potent" stuff anymore. :mad:

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You need to have a sanding party. Each person goes nuts for 1/2 hour on a particular part. No one leaves until the frame looks like chrome.
I'll add that to the list of events for the MotoGP viewer/BBQ party. LOL:D

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
See who can sand their part of the frame the fastest
winner gets to LEAVE ALIVE

Muahahaha
I actually had a pretty good turn out for a season opener/BBQ party that I hosted earlier this year. I actually crammed 20 something people into my little 12 sq/ft ranch. Rico was in the house. :party-smiley:

Maybe next year, or later this year, I do something similiar and invite CF.com people. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts