Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this might not be 100% bike related but think it could still probably be used to fill a bikes coolant system and not worry about having it completely filled and free of air.

I replaced the water pump on my Solstice GXP and couldn't for the life of me get it completely bled of air. I went by the recommended bleeding procedures I found on the Solstice/Sky forum but still couldn't get it from air locking and overheating. I did a little searching and came across a Youtube video of a certified mechanic using the Airlift 550000. He had a link to it on Amazon and I think it is the only item I have ever seen with over 200 five stars. There were a couple that rated it lower but figured it was probably user error on their part they rated it so low and possibly the fairly high price.

http://www.uview.com/index.cfm?DSP=...oryID=1330&pagepath=Products/Cooling&id=45700

It's pretty simple to use. The basic procedure is to drain the cooling system. Find the correct rubber adapter for the filler tool and attach to the filler. Plug in the vacuum adapter to the filler tool and attach your shops compressed air line to the vacuum adapter. Let it build vacuum to 25 or so lbs and close the inline valve. Now you can check to see if there are any problems with leaks in the cooling system by watching the vacuum gauge for about a minute to see if the vacuum drops. If not the cooling system is ready to fill.

Now you remove the shop air and vacuum adapter and attach the filler line. Insert the attached tube with strainer in your coolant jug and open the valve. This allows the vacuum to pull coolant into the system. Watch to make sure the coolant in the jug doesn't get too low so it sucks air and shut off the filler valve. Fill the jug with more coolant and proceed to finish filling until the gauge reads zero. A small cooling system should be completely filled now but on some bigger systems like trucks another round of pulling vacuum may be necessary to get it completely filled.

Now the coolant level should be checked. Like on my car the filler is on the overfill tank and I had to remove some coolant as the tank was completely filled where the normal fill line is the middle of the tank.

I didn't really want to spend the $130 but figured it was worth the chance because of the high feedback it had. I would have also probably spent at least that by taking the car to a shop to have them do it and I would have still had to figure out how to get the car there. I didn't want to concede to defeat and bit the bullet. After spending several hours and a couple weekends screwing around with my car it may be one of the best tools I have invested in. Now I have it for all my future cooling systems needs.

·
Breaking shit...
3,327 Posts
I use one of these at wok all the time for audis and vws (and any other hard to purge cars for that matter). They work great but Ive never seen one get to full vacuum in the stated 1.5 minutes, it usually takes about 15-20 on the cooling systems of modern cars. I can imagine on a bike it would be really quick though since theres not as many inches of hose to vac out.

Its kinda cool to see all the hoses collapse under full vac too.

After re-reading the post above I also wanted to add 2 things:

1. that it helps to have some coolant in the system, about 65-75% of capacity is good on the cars. Just leave room at the top to keep fluid from getting sucked up into the cap piece.

2. this thing uses air fast so if you have a smaller compressor then youll need to close the valve and disconnect your hose while the compressor recharges a bunch of times.

·
772 Posts
I use this thing called a floor jack to raise the front end of the vehicle up and run the vehicle with the filler cap off, never had an issue

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could try a floor jack but I doubt very much that it would work on any of the new vehicles where the filler is on the overflow tank. This is a well known problem on many new vehicles if you care to take a look. Just like the saying goes, they don't make em like they used to.

I run my compressor at 165 psi so it took maybe 30 seconds to build up full vacuum. I let it run for a few extra minutes while I mixed up my 50/50 mix. My system only took about a gallon and a half and was filled easily in well under a minute.

You can nay say all you want but after fucking around several hours and a couple weekends I'll praise the shit out of this thing. I can also say that anyone with a little bit of work can rig something like this up to do the same thing but I decided the quality of this product for the price is well worth not screwing around and making one myself.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Does the vacuum open the thermostat?
There seems to be many companies that make this kit for $60-80

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have no idea. Apparently Snap-On re-brands this bleeder but can't say 100% for sure on that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts