Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so my fz-700 came home from the shop a couple days ago. its running ok, but not 100 percent. the bike has about 26,000 miles on it and I can assume it has never had the valves adjusted.

so how hard is this to do? should I even think of doing it myself or should I take it to a shop to do it? how much should it cost if I take it to a shop?

also, any idea on how much it would cost to have it re-jetted at the same time if I decide to redo the exhaust and intake?

·
I WRECK ALOT
144 Posts
i adjust my valves every 6000 miles on my ninja 250, it only has 8 of them though, most of it is actually getting to the valves, moving gas tank, radiator, wires...etc, i would just really make sure you know what you're doing before cracking into it, like gat a guide with pics, or a friend who has done it before i know its 250~ at the shop to do mine... which is why i do it myself

·
Buy all my shit!
6,042 Posts
It all depends on if your motor has screw adjusters or shims I believe proper gap is .010. Measure between the low point in the cam lobe and the top of the valve cap.

If its the shim type and the vlave clearance is off, use usually bike dealers will accept an exchange with your shims because they dont go bad.. So you can exchange them for the size you need to make up the difference.

If its the screw type just adjust them by the screw and the lock nut on top (if there is one)

I could be wrong, but Im almost 90% sure you have the shim type. If you want a couple pictures of what it looks like lemme know and Ill snap some. lol I have an FZR 600 head right next to my computer on my dining room table with everything exposed

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yup, its shim type.

yeah, pics would be nice.
thanks

·
Buy all my shit!
6,042 Posts
Ok... When you pull the valve cover off measure between the lowest point of the lobe and the top of the valve cap like I posted before. (check with your dealer on your motors vlave clearance) My valve clearance was .010, if yours is within .001 - .004 (bigger gap) I wouldnt worry about it too much. but any more then that id replace the shim for a thicker size.. If you end up pulling it apart heres what it will look like

After you pull the cam's out (without dropping the cam chain in the block) the tops of the valve caps will look like this

Get a pair of needle nose pliars and pull the round cap off the top of the valve

9 out of 10 times the shim will be stuck to the inside of the cap because of the oil on it, sometimes they slip off and sometimes they dont, so be carefull. Once the cap is off, flip it right over so nothing falls out (you lose that shim and ur gonna have a bad day)

If it is in the cap just pull the shim out, it will probably be suction cup'd on there from the oil. and it will look like this..

NOTE: there will be a number on the shim.. That will be the number size of that 1 shim.. You will have to measure the size of the shim yourself.

Once you put it back together the shim will snap right back into place on top of the valve. You wont need to put is back in the cap first.

Put the cap back on top of the shim and valve and thats it.. the rest is up to you

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess thats where the term "shim under bucket" comes from

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
dang spyder. thats a heck of a run down! good shit mon! :metal:

·
Buy all my shit!
6,042 Posts
banzai said:
this is what happened to mine
after adjusting cam timing

:wtf: i think i f***ed up

rattle ,rattle Bang
oops

YEP hahah I know how that goes. The thing I learned was that if you end up takign your cam's out and puting them back in, obviously you gotta re-set your timing..

I dont care which way you look at it.. If your off by 1 tooth on a cam sprocket either you valves are going to touch eachother, or they will hit the piston.

Just for a refference people.. if you do this. Take all the plug's out, take the side cover off (flywheel side) get a ratchet and a socket and turn the motor over by hand realy slowly at least 4 full rotations to make sure nothing hit's in the top end. (See exhibit A lol)

If nothing hit's then you did everything right.. People make mistakes Banzai, but Im willing to bet 10 to 1 you'll never do that again will ya lol

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
so flint did you decide to do this or are you sending it out???

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I finally got the engine almost pulled. two more bolts and then I'll be ready to do the valves. I actually took the cover off to look at it today.

I was like "oh shit, I need to look up spyders write up"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts