Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Onefut
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ive been looking for a winter project fairly close by and someone has just offered me a Yamaha Venture 1200

IVe googled but cant find any pics of one thats been fightered and only find one that had been modded in to a chop which kind of gave me an idea of the lines without plastics on it

Anyone on here seen one modded at all

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I looked them up couldn't find any fighter versions but the older ones seem to share some of the same lines as a vmax so it definitely has potential

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
they are basically a detuned vmax motor in a touring setup. not a bad choice of motors. dead on reliable. and with a few tweaks and as much weight reduction as possible they are pretty nice. looks wise youll have fun with them since you can either use the stock fuel cell and put whatever kind of tank cover you want on it or put an actual tank on it and double the fuel capacity.

·
Onefut
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I managed to find some more stripped down pics last night and the lines look like they have potential
Removing all the plastics should help reduce weight an maybe able to get a few pennies back from the parts
Need to think about it a bit

·
Registered
740 Posts
Ventures were 1300's, the Vmax was a 1200, both were v4's.

It's not difficult to put the vmax engine in the venture chassis...there's a LOT of similarities between the two bikes. The stock venture 1300 v4 puts mid 80's to the rear tire, while a stock vmax would be right around ~112 or so. The vmax runs a lot higher compression, hotter cams, and has the "v-boost" carb butterflies (think like a 4 barrel carb for a car, same idea).

The biggest flaw in the pre-1990 yamaha v4's was the TCI boxes. Up to '89 they were analog ignitions, and they're reaching the age now that they're dropping like flies, and replacements are difficult to find. For '90 they changed to a much more reliable digital ignition, but the wiring harness is totally different, so to upgrade you have to re-harness the whole bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.