Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my Veypor showed up last night, so guess what I was up doing into the wee hours? LOL.
I took a few pictures of what I was doing while installing everything. Keep in mind that this is not a comprehensive installation guide; just a bit of insight as to what I did.

First off, I lifted my gas tank up so I had access to where I intended to run my wiring, etc. I ran the main plug for the actual unit right along the frame and up to the bars.

Here you can see how I ran the wiring (grey wire) along the frame beside the factory harness.

What you can't see in that pic is where just in front of the coolant cap I ran the ignition pickup wire over to the left side of the bike to tie into the coil wiring like this:

And, with the coil back in place, you can't even tell:

I continued running the wiring on back to where the speed sensor was to be mounted. I zip tied the harness to the brake line and then mounted it at the furthest point back. The magnet for the sensor had to be within .8" from the pickup, so I drilled into my brake rotor and left just a bit sticking out. So far it seems to be working fine.

The Veypor doesn't have a power button and I didn't want it to be on all the time, so I tapped into the power supply wire for the meters at the fuse block. The ground wire I simply ran to the negative terminal on the battery.

Turn the key on and voila!

I still need to go in and set up all the features such as gear indicator, fuel consumption, tire size, bike weight, etc., but that won't really be an issue. So far, the only thing I'll probably change is how the speed sensor is mounted in the back.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Nice, nice. Get a pic of the gauges from further back so we can see how they look on the bike!

too bad those things are so damn expensive, it's trick.

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ask and you shall receive...

I picked up the basic Veypor. The VR2 adds drag coefficients and stuff like that that I really didn't need...except the clock but I can deal with saving some bucks for that. LOL.

I have an order code that'll give you $20 off if you decide to get on. Just let me know!

Reese

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
Im looking at getting a VAPOR gauge from trail tech. They are half the price but dunno how good they are. I found a guy selling a gauge set for $55 but not sure if it will work on my bike or not.....i guess Ill have to buy it and see. For now I bought a neat nice looking bicycle gauge....

This is the Trail tech gauge. It looks almost identical to the bicycle gauge. I wanna buy it but If I dont it will only cost me $20 more to get it from the site. He wont go any lower than $55 either even though he has a best offer button.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
All of these universal gauges will work with any bike, but you don't just plug them into your stock plug... you gotta wire them in.

Reese: I like your set-up. How much did you pay for that there?

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
I think im going with this setup instead

http://trailtech.net/store/75-700.html

I got outbid on the bicycle setup and I didnt notice until afterwards that they read in KPH instead of MPH and that the smallest size you can program the computer to is a 19" wheel.

Wiring the Vapor setup shouldnt be to bad, you can get them with a magnetic speedo pickup and other than that a few wires for the tach and its done.

·
Buy all my shit!
6,042 Posts
$300 for teh VR1 and $320 for the VR2.. But it comes with all the software and computer cables for updating the unit and downloading all your dyno log's and lap times to your PC. The y have new updates for the unit's every so often.. And it adds more shit to it too after every update

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Spyders is sick, too. If I made indicator lights, I'd have them in some weird place though, instead of the way Reese has them.

·
Buy all my shit!
6,042 Posts
I didnt use the mounting bracket that it comes with.. I took it apart (go figure) and unscrewed the mounting plate off the back and cut a piece of sheet metal drilled 2 holes and screwed that sheet metal plate to the veypor. Then I took 1 screw out of each handle bar clamp and slid the sheet metal in between the risers and drilled a hole on each side (used the bar clamp holes as guides), and put the screw's back in the clamps.

Now it looks like it just hovers there. That mounting bracket they give you is too bulky. Since there not water proof I always carry a sandwhich baggy with a rubber band in it if it starts to rain out. I just slip the bag over the Veypor and put the rubber band behind it and Im golden till I get home

·
Buy all my shit!
6,042 Posts
reese919 said:
Spyder, got pics of your setup? I'd love to see how you mounted your Veypor

I cut a plate from sheet metal and sandwchiched it between my bar clamps, then used the bolts on the back of the Veypor and bolted the plate to the unit itself.

My other post in this thread..

spyder said:
I didnt use the mounting bracket that it comes with.. I took it apart (go figure) and unscrewed the mounting plate off the back and cut a piece of sheet metal drilled 2 holes and screwed that sheet metal plate to the veypor. Then I took 1 screw out of each handle bar clamp and slid the sheet metal in between the risers and drilled a hole on each side (used the bar clamp holes as guides), and put the screw's back in the clamps.

Now it looks like it just hovers there. That mounting bracket they give you is too bulky. Since there not water proof I always carry a sandwhich baggy with a rubber band in it if it starts to rain out. I just slip the bag over the Veypor and put the rubber band behind it and Im golden till I get home

1 - 20 of 23 Posts