Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly thank to Streetfighterkz and everyone for helping earlier in the help section. +1 on the compression lock advice.

As promised here is the start of a rather unfortunate and slightly forced project. I crashed me daily ride this week and need it back on the road asap. I already have another build underway which is on the site but has not had an update in quite a while do to moving house, looming marriage, changing jobs and other none bike related rubbish.

Its great to see so many of the old members still active - who's builds and knowledge I admired 3 years ago when I caught the customer fighter sickness and started my very first build thread. Despite the unfortunate event I walked away with minor damage to myself, and must admit I'm looking forward to spending some more hours trawling the forum and freezing in the garage.

OK bullshit over, here are the pix :)

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Engine was hydrolocked but I have now managed to get it running again. No damage to the frame and the forks do not look bent. :rock:

The fairings did an awesome job of absorbing the damage and luckily my leg and arm got caught between the bike and road for some part of the crash and stopped the bike getting really hurt.

Once I pulled off all the smashed plastics I found that I have got away very luck as the radiator had been pushed back into the engine and had stripped the live wire going to the ignition and was only mm from touching the frame.

As I need this bike up and running, I will be making a very quick street fighter of this to begin with so nothing aw inspiring just yet I'm afraid, but I will be tarting it up later. Initially the work I'm looking at is:

headlights + indicators, - (I'm looking into projectors but either way they will be twins headlights)
new oil cooler,
new radiator, - and all the necessary hoses that goes with them
Brake lever,
Brake Pedal,
Clocks,
Mirrors,
bar ends - (possible bar end mirrors but these are getting a little over done now)
crash bobbins,
and some fiberglass sculpting to tie it all up.

My ideas for the future mods involve:
an r1 (or similar) tail swap,
cbr usd front end,
larger rear wheel to make use of that single sided swinger,
I will sort out the ugly coolant bottle as soon as the vital work has been done,

I recently fitted the stainless steel system but the end can has now been slightly bent (not very much but enough to annoy me) and in the garage I have a pair of renault 5 garrett t2 turbos...
I'm not a wizard with turbos but have fancied a turbo project for some time now so no promises... but I'd love to think that in the future there may well be a twin turbo vfr coming up...

·
2,781 Posts
if you need to do a quick "get back on the road" first..I got a ugly ass twin light bikini fairing thingy sat in my garage collecting dust, taking up valuable space & going begging :LolLolLolLol:

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds exactly like the ugly ass kinda thing I might just be interested in... have you got any pix?

I'm considering a pair of exup headlights as they come on a frame and are designed to be ran together with the light angles and all that already set up, so half the fabricating is done.

·
2,781 Posts
That sounds exactly like the ugly ass kinda thing I might just be interested in...
:LolLolLolLol:

have you got any pix?
and, yes I do ;)......

.....it's a cut down early gixxer fairing as far as I know and mounts to the frame...
Ohhhh look!! it even got some ugly flush mounts

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
That is really fucking ugly

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow... That is fooking ugly lol!

But it would definitely spur me on to keep working on the bike thats for sure! No way I could be seen with that on the front of my bike for long lol. I shall send you a PM sir.

·
2,781 Posts
Wow... That is fooking ugly lol!

But it would definitely spur me on to keep working on the bike thats for sure! No way I could be seen with that on the front of my bike for long lol. I shall send you a PM sir.
:LolLolLolLol: well..... if it's any good to you, even if to just spur you on, your welcome to it :D

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Replacement VFR bits are ridiculous money, but one of the cheapest brand new rads I found is the dual radiator system for the rvf400. I must admit I would love to bolt on this system, and reckon that it would require very little work to get it to work as the engines are so similar but it means changing the front downpipes to create room, so maybe at a later date.

So next best thing I found is a new SV650 rad which looks very similar to the original so hopefully will require minor adaptations...

Plus the SV 650s come with radiator covers on the end which will come in handy for fixing the oil cooler and perhaps some minimal bodywork.

for the replacement oil cooler I found an old cbr1000f cooler which seems to have the same fitting and is roughly the same size, just got a few extra cores.
It does however have two spouts for what looks like over flow pipes, does anyone know what these are for? If it comes to it i'm sure they can be blocked off

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Finally decided how and where I am fitting the coil packs for the front cylinder :)

Headlights are on and the rad is half on. I'm waiting on the fan to arrive so I know how far to stand it off from the engine.

Next problem is the oil cooler. Originally it was mounted in front of the forks just under the headlight, the oil hoses are half metal half rubber with specific fittings so adapting these is going to be a pain. So far my plan for a quick fix is to loop them over the main rad and bolt the oil cooler to the bottom. The hoses will be running across the front of the main radiator but it'll keep everything tucked out of the way for now.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Started to tidy up the wiring now. Hacked out a good 10m of wire so far, coils and all the vital bits in the frame are now nicely wrapped up but still a load of spaghetti that needs sorting out for the dash

Hose bends have arrived, annoyingly they are quite alot thicker that the straight hose I have so I will have to look at getting some thicker straight section now as it will drive me nuts not all being the same.

I don't plan on having jubilee clips all over the pace so I'm considering glueing the hose sections together and then wrapping them in a heat shrink wrap. Seems like an easy alternative to molded hoses to me, has anyone tried this before though?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I made up a mount to hang the oil cooler from the bottom of the main rad.

I'm still working out of the lock up at work atm so back to hand tools

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
has been an age since my last update. Got caught up in moving house and marriage and other silly things. Finally back to the important stuff now though, garage is coming along - Built me a new and improved workbench, and I have all the tools unpacked ready to continue...

I have decided to move the oil cooler, as its interfering with the fork travel. I did consider dropping the forks down and getting some clip ons but the bike handle soooo well I can bring myself to fuck it up. So plan B...

Make new oil links

And run hoses round the back of the bike and mount the cooler in the tail

Apologies for the bad pic, will dig out the good camera later and update.

I want to make a bracket to mount the cooler to the tail which will include some fans. The body work will need some kind of vent or scoop adding to aid cooling. - (Waiting on fans)

I noticed a lot of oil build up while the bike was standing, turns out the magneto cover has cracked. I will solder that up tomorrow and get that fixed.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
It's an interesting plan but I can't help thinking it's going to melt the body work. The engine oil and therefore the oil cooler should run somewhere ITRO 90 degrees celsius, which is plenty to melt ABS plastic over time. I wouldn't trust it myself.

Can you not tuck it in directly where the hoses come off the engine, behind the exhaust downpipe?

Reactions: Ahks

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No room behind the downpipes, its crazy how tight everything is on this bike. The RVF's run a second smaller rad below the main rad which would be where I'd put the cooler but in order to create the room they have some funky bends in the downpipes to create the space for it.

ABS shouldn't melt till 105C and the oil used to sit around 90c when this bike are full faired never peeking 100. I figured the bikes now without fairing, has a upgraded main rad, added hose length and a larger fan assisted cooler it would run cooler anyway (guessing somewhere between 80-90).

Its something to definitely keep an eye on but I have seen a few builds on here putting them in the tails now. There will be plenty of room around the cooler (more clearance than I have seen a lot of bikes have between the belly pan and exhausts) I can always look at lining the fairing with some of that adhesive backed heat shield.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Updates :)

Finally had some good weather and enthusiasm to get the bike going, had it out for a spin and its running great! I found a more few little problems I'd previously overlooked however, the huggers fucked. and the right hand clip on is much more bent that I thought (touches the tank)

To do list:
Paint engine Silver
Paint frame Black
Fit Magnetic speed pick up to rear sprocket
Feed rear brake hose through the swing arm
Dirt bars and risers - (and hope I can get away with current cables and wiring)
Mould some fiberglass bodywork with integrated indicators and inspection panel fuse box and coolant reservoir
Mould air scoop into the tail for the oil cooler (turns out it get fucking hot in there now)
Make a small fly screen to hide cables and wires
Make nice tight fitting belly pan
I'm currently thinking silver and blue for the paint job

1 - 20 of 46 Posts