Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would make a thread on my build since im in the process of building the bike back up. I haven't started any threads but I always surf the forum and watch builds. This is my first build, a 1986 vf500 interceptor that I bought a few years ago as a starter bike. Ill start posting some pics of my progress.

**Help me choose a tail please**

my first thought was to go with a gsxr tail because of this big clunky tank that the bike is cursed with. Any input id appreciated. thanks

-Max

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

old vf wheel next to the new cbr f2 wheel. also have the cbr f2 front wheel. both front and rear wheel have chrome lip. Definitely must for this bike to look descent.

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
I thought I would make a thread on my build since im in the process of building the bike back up. I haven't started any threads but I always surf the forum and watch builds. This is my first build, a 1986 vf500 interceptor that I bought a few years ago as a starter bike. Ill start posting some pics of my progress.

**Help me choose a tail please**

my first thought was to go with a gsxr tail because of this big clunky tank that the bike is cursed with. Any input id appreciated. thanks

-Max

personally.. I really like the look of the tail as it is there. it's tidy enough and subtle

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
How about some sort of cut-off side panels? I saw this in a classics magazine, made me think of it.

Reactions: n0regret5

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good Idea!! reshaping the tank will be a nice touch for sure. Would guys cut a portion of the tank and reweld or just cut some sheet metal to the desired shape and weld It over, then blend it into the tank. I want the bike to have nice lines and look proportional but I'm struggling with creativity here.

·
V four honda whore
12,425 Posts
Get it rolling. Then do a side pic. I might help you with creative part.

About the tank. Depends who is welding. And how good. I reshaped tank on kat with foam and fiberglass. But i was lazy and affraid to weld tank

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
You are on a good path that's for sure!
As with the others I really like how that seat looks as is lol... If it were me I'd run a chunky round tube along the bottom edge and leave it like that. But a smaller type cowl after the seat would look good too...

Subscribed!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well I just got a bunch of 1' OD tubing in the mail, I can probably heat it up and bend it half descent. The tank is going to bother me now so I'm going to chop it. I can have the weld shop behind my word tig it up for me and after I just tack it in place myself. Thanks for input guys! good motivation to finish the project. Headed to work now to do a little shopping spree for supplies haha

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

On the other side of the tank there is a fuel valve which might rule out the option for cutting the tank. But I could cut some sheet metal to weld over the tank to make the body lines flow better. Haven't decided if this will look better or worse. Ill cut up some sheet metal and repost with it mocked up.

·
V four honda whore
12,425 Posts
Its because they are awesome and you like my build a lot

Reactions: shinyribs

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
well I just got a bunch of 1' OD tubing in the mail, I can probably heat it up and bend it half descent. The tank is going to bother me now so I'm going to chop it. I can have the weld shop behind my word tig it up for me and after I just tack it in place myself. Thanks for input guys! good motivation to finish the project. Headed to work now to do a little shopping spree for supplies haha

Would 1" tube be enough to build a floating subframe?

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Depends on the wall thickness and how it's constructed/braced. But 1" is pretty beefy. Pretty close to what all the old tube frame Jap bikes were built out of.

Ever seen a bolt on subframe off an early BMW? They're tiny, like, 3/4" od or less tiny. AND they were structural, holding the rear shocks mounts. Lots of two up riding and luggage have hung off many an old BMW with no problems.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 72 Posts