Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I had no idea where to put this or what to title it, but I was hoping someone could give me a heads up on what a custom built bike could potentially sell for assuming it was done cleanly and the bike had no mechanical problems. Before I get the spill about how that's an open ended question, allow me to elaborate.

I've got a friend of a friend willing to sell his 750 interceptor to me, early 80's model, for 600 cash. I was hoping to have my gsx-r back together and sold by now however, and I'm worried the guy's going to end up selling it out from under me. I can get a loan, but that would put me at about 800 dollars in and im concerned that starting from there and having to replace most of the wear items, I would end up losing a lot should I get in a bind before I get the gsx-r fixed and have to sell her. Especially after chopping it like I plan on doing.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
c'mon guys, you got nothing for me? Im just looking for ball park, the bike blue books around 2, should I expect somewhere around there assuming I get everything fixed. I'm probably gonna fashion it loosely around a café bike's styling, possibly bob it and in doing that and having to buy a new tank (the original's leaking) that's not gonna be factory, I'm not gonna be able restore it if I do decide to sell. I figured a few of y'all would have had people make offers on some of your finished project bikes and could give me an idea of what I'd be looking at.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
If you do everything at professional level you could maybe get $3k out of it. Clean but amateur you might get book value. Anything else and you're going to take a massive hit on resale value. Customizing bikes isn't really a good revenue source unless you're a pro, and even then you have to work on the right platforms.

On the other hand, if you clean everything up, get everything working perfectly and returned to stock or with minor reversible mods you may be able to get slightly over book value on it.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Depends where you live. Here in my town, with a quick cursory search it seems you can pick up a good running clean one for about $1200 - $1500
Location and local market are definitely the biggest factors. In general, you won't get back whatever you put into it unless it's a pro quality restoration or custom.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thanks guys. I've got to get a tank for it one way or the other, the original has a leak. My local bike shop is gonna hook me up with one, but he doesn't think he's got the original, just one to fit. he's been good about helping me out with the gsx-r tho so i doubt he charges me much. ill just put the plastic up for now and do what i can with the frame intact for now. if nothing else i can always order a tank off of ebay for about a hundred bucks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats what i've heard. i almost told the guy i didn't want it, but then a couple people on here the come up with a special tool that remedied the problem. question tho, this bikes been sitting up for a year with a leak in the tank so that the guy doesn't do anything more than walk out and start it up with a splash of gas every once in a while. at least thats the story anyway. assuming i wont be able to get it to move around the yard, when we crank it up there, will it be obvious if something like that had already gone wrong in the engine? i read that they had a problem with the adjuster failing, but never got anything about what happened to them afterwards and i don't trust my own knowledge about the subject to just listen to it and tell if somethings wrong or not.

·
FNG
68 Posts
the special tool and double feeler gage trick sets the valves to the correct lash. the cam chain tensioners do wear over time, they can get a little rattly. it's been a while, so i may be wrong, but I don't think you have to pull the heads to replace them.
bb7

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.