Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I mentioned this in the welcome thread, but I need some advice. I'm about to go look at a '84 vf750, the guy thinks that's what it is at least, and I was hoping to get some feedback on its potential. I want turn it into a café bike but from my experience with the gsxr I have, turning a plastic sport bike into a fighter can be a pain in the ass without a budget to buy custom pieces pre-fabbed for the bike from the internet. A budget which I don't possess so I thought I'd go ahead and ask the experts before I committed to anything. also any potential problems with these bikes? I read somewhere that they had issues with a cam sensor or something but I couldn't find any details what exactly that would tear up if it went bad or how much I could look at putting into it if it did so. All and all I think im getting a good deal on it, 600 bucks. supposedly other that a leaking gas tank the only thing wrong with it right now is that its just been sitting up a year or two. plastic and everything looked ok from pics, had a few rust spots on it that needed some polish but once I get a hold of the to post on here, your probably gonna be wondering y I don't leave it like it is. But im a fighter junkie so what can I say :rock:

·
FNG
68 Posts
you said plastic covered, so we'll assume VF750F interceptor, as opposed to vf750C magna, or vf750S Sabre. the only cam issues were early on the production, and had to do with valve adjustment. they developed a special tool to hold the cam in place while adjusting the valves and no more problem. while the cafe style may be a little tougher, streetfighter should not be too difficult. should be no problem finding a replacement tank in useable condition. steel frame so welding is easy.
BTW, prefab custom is an oxymoron.
bb7

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Should be an easy conversion but you will need a small budget tools and just a little bit of skill. If you dont have swelter or a friend who has one id skip the bike and buy the right tools. After you have the tools then you save for a beater to rebuild. Just my .02

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha i couldn't agree more. I talked to the local bike shop I've been usin for parts for my gsxr and he said he had quite a few that would work. steel frame sounds good, i can weld on it at work. how tricky are the carbs gonna be to work on? other than a few lawn mowers sadly i've never fooled with anything that wasn't fuel injected. I'm sure its gonna need thorough cleaning at the least, as long as its been sitting up. and this is probably a dumb question but when i go to get a headlight for it, is it generally find one and make it fit or is there a certain style i should consider? I never got beyond rigging up a kc light on the front of my gsxr. u'll probably laugh but i managed to get a high and low beam out of the single bulb.

·
Rollin hard in Wiscompton
3,698 Posts
The carbs will be an absolute pain in your dick. I speak from experience ('83 VF750S). Popping them out isn't TOO terribly bad, it's getting them back in that sucks. They're also opposing and staggered, it's an absolute devil's bash to get them apart and back together again. Bunch of small parts, the carbs only really fit together one way, and yet sadly......I'd do it again.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so what did you end up doing to the bike fight? I flipped thru your build thread but got lost at some point when you started parting out stuff. I like the venom reservoir, I had originally rigged up an aluminum Budweiser bottle on my gsxr in similar fashion when I was attempting to make it a fighter. looks like you have habits like mine, starting new projects before you finish the ones your on. I've still the middle of fabricating the fiber glass for the Suzuki so that I can sell it but I'm postponing everything because I can get the vf on the road faster.

Regretfully it will be a few more days before I can check it out tho. The guy hit a dog last night on his Harley and has compound fractures on both his arms now. Its a friend of mine's brother, so your thoughts and prayers are appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts