Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys
i found a vfr 400 for reaaaaaaaaaaaal cheap but..................... 8 years since the last ride so i am thinking..............anyone knows what to look for? before i buy it ????
i like the bike and i am going to make my first real streetfighter so any help will be appriciated

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Does it run? When looking at it if it doesn't run you might want to buy a cheap compression tester or barrow one so you can check the compression to make sure you don't have to a motor rebuild. Bring a charged battery so you can make sure lights turn signals gauges work or try to take a quick look at the harness to make sure no one else already chopped into it. Its No fun cleaning up someone else's fuck up

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
I wouldn't buy an nc24 at any price.

Exhaust collector boxes rot and disintegrate if removed (if not already fked before you touch it) and even if you can find one in stainless it will be £200+. That's if you can find one, you probably won't. Even if you do you will have a pig of a time fitting it.

Add to that skinny forks (sure you could change them) and odd tyre sizes, but the rear swing arm which you can't easily change restricts you to about a 130 or maybe 140 tyre max. The frame is spindly and flexible.

And it has the traditional Honda charging woes, especially now as it's so old.

All that said, the motor is a peach and if it has a stainless exhaust and is really cheap you might as well at least have a look. But in the end if you specifically want a v4 400, save up for an nc30. If you're not fussed about that (admittedly very special) engine configuration and cam gear noise, then just get a 500 twin which will have very similar performance, or a 600/4. You can do a lot with an early cbr600, the frames are old fashioned but look good naked.

Oh yeh, the nc24 frame is hard to do well naked due to how the frame joins the rear subframe. Not pretty and not easy to do prettily.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tnx guys i will considere everything you told me but for 200 eyros 2 bikes ok the are oooold but...................nice price
and from 2 bikes i think i can make one dont you?

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
tnx guys i will considere everything you told me but for 200 eyros 2 bikes ok the are oooold but...................nice price
and from 2 bikes i think i can make one dont you?
It's cheap enough to have a look at, that's sure!

But... I sill bet you won't have one good exhaust to play with from the pair, unless one already has a stainless collector box. Or maybe you be lucky and live nowhere near the ocean, the bikes have always slept in the garage, and they don't salt the roads in winter... but even then those collector boxes are dodgy.

David Silver in UK was selling them, but it's £250 + shipping, so an easy 300€ --- and they don't have any or a delivery date.

Are you already a member here? http://www.400greybike.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21&sid=f7aa074b9a47010411dbf9a70204c1e0

Check this out, it's a topic that comes up often: http://www.400greybike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=25393

1 - 8 of 8 Posts