Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Unfortunately this morning on the way into work a combination of dosy drivers, wet leafs, and emergency stops has cause me to smash up my Viffer 750.

I locked it up twice before sliding at about 30mph into the back of the dosy driver. Bike was still running on the deck before I turned it off and picked it up. I put it in neutral and pushed in into the near by car park so i could goto work and return with a van.

Few hours later I arrive with some mates and the van, there was no oil puddles or anything under the bike so I tried to turn it over... It wouldn't start... Starter motor engages and headlight dips but it don't spin... I put it in second and tried to bump it, but it drags the back wheel...

The bike was only running for maybe 15 seconds on the deck before I turned it off, I thought it seems unlikely that the engine could have ceased due to oil starvation in that time? Am I wrong? what else would cause the engine to cease? Where do I start with it?

...The good news however... Frame looks good, forks are not bent, engine doesn't have a scratch on it... Perfect street fighter project!!!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dunno, won't turn far enough to check.

I've pulled the oil plug filler cap, and the clutch makes about an eight of a turn while the starter buttons pressed but then springs back once the buttons released...

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so try pulling the stater motor off and see if I can turn the crank?

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
so try pulling the stater motor off and see if I can turn the crank?
Yeah I'd say that's your best bet. Pull the plugs as well so you don't have to fight the compression too. That way you can truly verify what is keeping it from spinning.

Maybe hydro lock? But I've never dealt with that before so I cannot confirm or deny.

Edit: wait a second, there should be a nut on the end of the crank on the other side that you can use to turn the engine. Probably where the crank trigger is? Try that first before you start pulling out the stator.

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
It's possible that the fuel pump kept pushing fuel and it went down into the cylinders and hydrolocked it like Andler suggested. You may be trying to compress the fuel in the chamber which is hard on components. I definitely say you should remove all the plugs and crank it by hand with a socket on the end of the crank if possible.

Later, Doug

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
Yeah I'd say that's your best bet. Pull the plugs as well so you don't have to fight the compression too. That way you can truly verify what is keeping it from spinning.

Maybe hydro lock? But I've never dealt with that before so I cannot confirm or deny.

Edit: wait a second, there should be a nut on the end of the crank on the other side that you can use to turn the engine. Probably where the crank trigger is? Try that first before you start pulling out the stator.
It's possible that the fuel pump kept pushing fuel and it went down into the cylinders and hydrolocked it like Andler suggested. You may be trying to compress the fuel in the chamber which is hard on components. I definitely say you should remove all the plugs and crank it by hand with a socket on the end of the crank if possible.

Later, Doug
Most likely like these guys said, if none of the side covers got mashed in, it's probably just hydro locked, pull the plugs and spin it over, be ready for a gasoline shower :LolLolLolLol:

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice one guys, pulled the plugs, spun it over, made a mess. Fired straight up after I put it all back together.

Not as much came out as I was expecting but the bike had been standing 2days since the smash so I guess the worst had made its way down past the rings by then. Any petrol in the oil should all burn off then I next get it to temp.

Once again thanks very much, stay tuned in the build section for a new VFR thread :)

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
Glad you got it going. I would still give it an oil change.

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
I'd change the oil just in case. The gas will thin the oil and will cause it to not lubricate the bearings properly. Better to be safe than sorry.

Later, Doug

1 - 15 of 15 Posts