Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Not Broke, Just Cheap!
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently picked up someone else's streetfighter project with plans to use it as a daily commuter to and from the office. So far its turning into a bigger project then expected, unforeseen mechanical issues have been delaying progress on cleaning the bike up as much as I want.

So far I've repaired and painted the gas tank, patched up and reinstalled the front fender, repaired fuel pump, fixed signals, recovered seat and installed a stock muffler. Its currently having problems shifting, suspect warn out shift mechanism, waiting on parts.

My plans for this year/winter are to get all the mechanical bits fixed, replace coolant overflow tank, paint engine, modify and install belly pan, relocate exposed coils, new sprockets and chain, aluminum tail fairing to hide the exposed rear subframe, clean up the front headlight and signal brackets and gut the muffler.

I posted some of these pictures in the Introductions forum, but I'm adding some with the progress so far.

Before I started really working on it, just has recovered seat

Dents in gas tank

Damage to front fender

Other side

Here's how she sits right now

And here's my side fairing cardboard mockup, still haven't decided on a final shape for the tail

I would like to install a different rear subframe at some point, but, I just don't have time for it right now.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Re: 3rd Gen Viffer - Commuter Project

Looking good! I want that rear wheel...

·
I Piss Excellence.
1,828 Posts

superfail. just don't go covering it with your 'lucky' hawaiian shirt now :D
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Ahem...those pics are post-recover? Nice work bro!

·
Not Broke, Just Cheap!
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Ahem...those pics are post-recover? Nice work bro!

Thanks! I honestly thought the seat would be perfectly safe sitting inside of utility trailer. Let's just say that it took a lot of effort/determination for the puppy to get to it, then move it from where it was to where I found it.

·
Konichiwa Bitches
17,772 Posts

Oooh....yeah, nice job on the....er, recovery-I thought that the dogs got to it after you had it redone! I'd have been MAD. And props for not using anything you consider "lucky" to re do the seat in. LOL :)

·
Not Broke, Just Cheap!
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

So I've been contemplating what to do with my currently exposed subframe. In the above pictures you can see where I was templating to make a new aluminum fairing to wrap around it. Eventually I decided to scrap that, I just didn't like the look of it.

I then looked at the possibility of mounting a subframe off another bike and everything was either too pricey, been done before or just didn't look right.

The other day though, one of my tenants came home with a large chunk of scrap 1/4 inch aluminum, which after taking some measurements, I'm pretty sure will work to make a custom subframe that will look something like this...

I've left it black so its easier to see, I'll probably end up just polishing the aluminum in the final product.

I'm also thinking undertail exhaust now...

Let me know what you guys think, any input on design would be appreciated.

·
Not Broke, Just Cheap!
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Finally had some time to work on the bike last night. Hopefully this is going to be the last work I have to do on it before I strip it down for the winter.

Been having problems shifting, anyone want to play "Spot the Difference"?

Somehow the C clip on the shift linkage popped out of the groove and the linkage was bent. I'm assuming it took quite an impact to do that.

That's it for now, any suggestions or thought on the aforementioned subframe?

·
Not Broke, Just Cheap!
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Looks like my riding season has come to an end. Insurance expired on the bike last week and despite the amazing weather we are having, it can change too quickly. This time last year, I was dealing with ice storms and this...

I started pulling the bike apart last night and found time to start working on the new subframe.

From a crude photoshop to crude reality, here's the test fit of the first part of the new fubframe...

I need to trim the front back a bit, then shape it a bit more to fit the seat better. Once that's done I'll make an exact copy of it for the other side. The seat will need to be shortened to match the contour of the new subframe.

·
Gone Ridding!
686 Posts

Looks good So far!

·
Not Broke, Just Cheap!
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Haven't had much time to work on my bike lately, been trying to finish building my garage before winter hits too hard.

She currently sits like this

I have had time at work though to mess around with photoshop, my skills are still lacking, but I think I may have finally come up with a paint scheme. I was originally going to go with a polished frame, but decided its too much up keep, and I'm really not a fan of the look.

I'm going to be changing the colors, making the frame and wheels the same color as the tank currently is, and painting the rest a metallic burnt orange, possibly doing a grey line down the tank.

Here's a rough photoshop of the possibly outcome...

And these are a few other color combo's I tried before I settled on that one

Same as above but with orange wheels

Completely grey frame

What do you guys think? I personally really like the orange metallic look, but, should I be changing the color layout at all?

·
MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!
2,206 Posts

Personally i think the white wheels look great against the orange but that's prolly just me. If I had to choose between the options above I would use the first idea with white wheels and call it a day cuz that shit is sexy lol.

On second thought I like the last option the best. Subframe same color as the main frame and orange body with the white wheels. It's a great Idea dude.

·
Not Broke, Just Cheap!
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Had a little time today during lunch, so I snuck out to the back shop and got some work done, Before lunch it looked like the picture above.

Pulled tank and air cleaner and found a bit of a mess...

All the wiring for the bike has just sort of been stuffed up in front of the air cleaner

By the end of lunch today, had the carbs out and wiring untangled, sort of.

Here's how it sits now

Would have stuck with it a bit longer but, I had nothing to drain the coolant into, hopefully tomorrow I can get the coolant drained and that system disconnected, then get the engine dropped out.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts