Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Project plan -
1) Tame this mad lady's handling (Aprilia stopped production, isn't a bike that qualifies as 'safe')

2) Its madness should show in the way it looks

Emotion is beyond words opening this thread.
Love you guys, it's just great to be back.

Attachments

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
4,013 Posts
Hey those are cool! Don't see many of them around here, I think I've only ever seen one or two in person. Are they more common in India?
The front fender of the Busa is actually off one of these.

Glad to see you back at it.

What makes it not a safe bike?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx buddy, it's a lot of power for a bike in between both worlds, makes it untamed on tarmac and off road. Long suspension makes it handle poor on road, street tyres make it a poor off roader. It's also notorious for its height, most work I seen on the web is around trying to drop it's rider height.
I believe Aprilia now only supplies the 750 and 900.
Very uncommon in India, it's the only one I know around where I live
Cheers Titan

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Ooooooooo a dorso! Count me in!

Reactions: Vikrant Singh

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Up yer arse :D

Reactions: a_morti

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Starting with the handling since its core to the build and getting this bike closer to mother earth. It will get an Ohlins complete set of dampers from a gsxr 1000. Took some measurements to see what could be salvaged in the process. Turns out not much.
The trees are offset at 32 mm which will do no justice to sharpen it's lazy and irratic character.

The stock Brembo calipers won't plug in either.

The discs on the Dorsoduro are 320mm Vs the gsxr's 310 and the discs on the gsxr are also 2 mm more apart from each other Vs the Dorsoduro, which concludes the front end, nothing checks out therefore it'll receive a front end from the gsxr on Ohlins.

While I've sketched out the body lines of the end product in my head but locked it away in the back somewhere until this bike can handle.

It needs to drop by 3 inches closer to ground to start with if it's going to behave.
I'll give it a 30mm offset triple top and bottom and expect the handling to check out, won't hesitate to move to 28 if it doesn't get sharp enough.
With traction off, this thing lifts off all the time, i'm anticipating a bigger drop at the front vs the rear to move some weight forward. We'll see when it gets back up, motorcycles were never ridden on paper.
Cheers

·
re-tarded
1,283 Posts
if you want Brembo calipers, newer GSXR should fit. R6 calipers are probably a better option.

How long are the Dorsoduro forks vs the GSXR forks?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes Junkie, that is correct. And it's only getting Brembo calipers, the gsxr family has plenty.
The Dorsoduro are 3 inches more :D
It'll need a drop at the rear too but I want to keep the rear drop as little as possible.
The Ohlins rear damper is same length at shortest adjustment, will need a shift in mounting point.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some hardware that works is home

Donor gsxr 1000, 28mm offset trees. Such a delight

Red sits out, black goes in.
With the trees, wheel and Ohlins set, the front is ready to drop closer to ground.
Calipers will follow shortly.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Gave the gsxr clamp a good elbow

Some heavy duty spacers

After 3 days of back and forth, it's ready to get in.

Keeping it air tight with some sheet

The MR2 got it's stock parts :D
Ready to be packed away

The stoppers on the gsxr triple don't check out, will shave them off, thread in and reposition a pair.
Cheers

1 - 20 of 75 Posts