Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
The Ohlins front and gsxr triples are nicely in, will reposition stoppers once I finalize which way to go with the tank.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Lol buddy, always delightful to hear from you... was beginning to wonder where you went :)
Hug

Mate, where did Mike go btw, haven't heard from him since I got back

I've never seen a more complex engineered airbox/ fuel tank. Will fill u in once I lift it, it's hilarious.
But the thoughts in my head around the tank fabrication are exciting, looking forward to it

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
:D

This bike's a bitch and for some reason I'm loving that coz it also has a lot to offer.

Tore the rear down, will start with the rear damper before I move to tank fabrication. Cheers

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
What I'm looking forward to most in recent descovery is that if I get some of the tank out if the way, can get the second v's head to show under the seat ��
And I can tuck everything inside that narrow chassis, this Aprilia's creation has the makings of a sharp blade

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Will either edit current tank or craft a separate one in styrofoam - fiber glass. Am leaning towards modifying the existing tank, it's all plastic, getting rid of the side sections that overlap the chassis and the rear section gets it to how I want it. Need to better study the mating of this tank material with fiber if I'm going to modify it.
Your thoughts Smoker?

·
BLACK BELT
7,380 Posts
Will either edit current tank or craft a separate one in styrofoam - fiber glass. Am leaning towards modifying the existing tank, it's all plastic, getting rid of the side sections that overlap the chassis and the rear section gets it to how I want it. Need to better study the mating of this tank material with fiber if I'm going to modify it.
Your thoughts Smoker?
Curious, because I have a similar tank on my Aprilia SXV frame.

Planning on a one-off aluminum tank, but it's difficult because of the shape.

I thought about modifying the original plastic tank, but haven't seen it done before. If you're going to add fiberglass over the plastic, or something like that, I'd be interested in seeing the process and result.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I'm keen on the existing tank coz it'll sit great inside the chassis and clear out easily from the bottom to give way under the seat once it's remodelled.

From what I've gathered so far, plastic and fibre mate permanently. Will study it further before I start with it.
I'll preferably take out some plastic's thickness where the fibre will join surface with it.

The white lines are where I'll cut it to size to stay within the broadest area of the bike and to clear the underneath of seat pan. The pump will sit inside from the bottom, horizontally.

Will mould with styrofoam coz it dissolves with acetone.
If u get something concrete on bonding plastic and fibre, pls post here.

I'll get going as soon as it's affirmative. Cheers

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The front wheel with Brembo kit is in.

Achieved a close to 3 inch drop at the front.

Top to bottom the first pink line and the first green line is before, the following pink and green lines are after.
Bike has a high linkages ratio so a slightly smaller rear damper should drop rear proportionally. Will put it on the road once I have the Ohlins damper in the rear.
I'm expecting this madness of a ruckus to become razor sharp and if all goes well, will move to fabrication soon.

Almost hit a wall with unbolting today.
Aprilia put so much torque and locktite on those rear foot peg bolts, I was sure to strip it if I pushed.

Pulled the bend and got full leverage to turn it out.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
What's the story buddy, share link if u have it recorded here.
This is what I want to achieve with tank and seat, maybe blend one piece, will see.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Am back after a tough, very hectic year.
Have managed to get things on rail since I quit the bank. This build sat in the backyard all along but am at it now with some vengeance and targeting to complete over the next couple of months.
Started with a cast of the underside of tank in fibre. Will use this as base to mould the tank in foam.
Once done will decide to either stitch in aluminium or cast in fibre.
This bike's being rare is a bitch. I'm looking for pinouts at the ECU and the dash. Any help guys would be highly appreciated.
Missed u all and crossing fingers on spending most of my time building bikes this year and the next.

That's the underside of this nightmare of a factory tank.

Cast out the underside. Ready to mould over it.
Also dissected the dash, will separate the LCD from the rpm gauge for a compact console.

Got the rear Ohlins mono in too. Bushings were a pita and I had to shave some of the arm off where it pivots but its bolted in pretty. She sits 5 inches lower, 5.5 inches from the ground, handles like a blade now. Offset is at 28mm.

Cheers guys, let's roll. ❤🍻

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Yantosh 🤗
Received a response from an Aprilia forum, like nitrous in my lungs. Pinouts should be sorted.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts